Commonality/Differences of Memorial day Vs Veterans days

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EquableHook, May 25, 2020.

1. Hi Mericans, Everyone :D

I was wondering if someone could briefly discuss the difference between veterans day in November vs memorial day in May. We (Canada) have our equivalent remembrance day in November that compliments/very much the same as veterans day. (Except I think we wear poppies and veterans day people dont?) Memorial day though looks like another variation of Veterans/Remembrance day.

Again just looking for a BRIEF BRIEF BRIEF explanation about the difference between these two holidays.

Thanks!
    SkeleTin007 and 607 like this.
  2. According to what I've heard...
    Veterans Day - commemorating both living and past veterans
    Memorial Day - commemorating veterans no longer living
    Could be wrong though. Feel free to correct me if needed
  3. I think Waffee "hit the nail on the head" with this one really well. :)

You may lock this thread Kryssy as the answer has been given and the thread has served it's purpose. :p
    wafflecoffee likes this.
  4. This is not your thread. -.-
  5. Many people choose to honor their deceased family members around Memorial Day as well, regardless of military service.

The most important distinction is that Memorial Day is strictly for those that have passed. Need not have been in the line of duty.
    607, EquableHook and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  6. Thankful that the response were kept BRIEF and I did not need to read an essay to get a clear answer :D. I could have easily googled the question and did some research, but I think in this case it is all about perspective and how other people view the holiday.

Any more thoughts to the discussion? It is always great to have some more opinions about the similarities/differences between the commemorative holidays.
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  7. Not being from the USA, I didn't know the answer either, but I'm glad to do so now! :)
    In the Netherlands, we have Dodenherdenking on May 4th, where we remember all Dutch who died as a result of war since the Second World War. Then a day after, we have Bevrijdingsdag, on May 5th, where we celebrate the end of the occupation by Nazi Germany on May 5th 1945.
    Maybe that's interesting to you, I'm not sure. :p
    LindenNZ and EquableHook like this.
  8. Memorial Day was to remember those that have passed, military mostly though some choose to honor non-military.

Veterans Day in the USA is intended to be for currently serving or past service members, still living.

Due to the Armistice Day, etc that coincides for a more world wide scale for those who have passed, on EMC we celebrate the Memorial Day and Veterans Day together in November and do not do anything special for the May date.
    SkeleTin007, EquableHook and 607 like this.
  9. In Canada we just Remembrance Day. Nov 11th. Pretty much a memorial for past and present military.
    607 and EquableHook like this.
  10. Yep my thoughts exactly! I think it is great to have this singular holiday in November since it commemorates the signing of the armistice. In may we have a little different of holiday called "Victoria Day"

Which for all you non-monarchy worshipping people dont know. Victoria day celebrated on the third week of may on a monday (Long weekend :D) celebrates the birth (I believe) of Queen Victoria. Who for the longest time was one of the longest reigning Monarchs in the history of world. Until she was surpassed by the current monarch Queen Elizabeth II.

Sorry Kloned you probably knew all that other jazz but just wanted to throw in some british monarchy stuff for the non-commonwealth people
    ThaKloned likes this.
  11. I like hearing about what people do in different countries. In New Zealand and Australia we share ANZAC day in April. The ANZACs were the Australia and New Zealand Army Corp formation before the landing at Gallipoli in 1915 where very many of them died. We use the red poppy symbol too. Lots of people get up early in the morning for a dawn ceremony of laying of wreaths at memorials. We remember the service and sacrifice of the older generations and all service given in conflict. It's somber and reflective.
    607 and EquableHook like this.
  12. What a different but similar celebration! A great way to honour veterans/fallen soldiers! It is crazy to think that celebrations like these are celebrated in every country. Each with their own unique 'flare' if you would call it that.

Thanks for sharing!

Anyone else want to share anymore information?

P.S im really appreciative of the BRIEF responses again :D.
  13. In the UK we only have Remembrance Sunday, which is on the second Sunday of every November. Remembrance Day is on 11th November. As someone who doesn’t commemorate either of them in any way at all, as far as I know they’re both basically the same thing.

In recent years they’ve become a giant meme because hateful old people use them to virtue signal and verbally assault young people + immigrants with the phrase “WHERE’S YOUR (SINGLE USE PLASTIC) POPPY??????” So I dunno if they’ll be around when my generation becomes the dominant age group in two decades or so.

As a person from the UK...

Oh Jesus God the pain it hurts so much please no please end it all
  14. OMG I messed up so hard! I delete now!
    Actually I just decided to just edit the whole thing and say she was one of the longest reigning monarchs =P. Too many titles =P
  15. It's a bit strange now. :p
    Although I've got to say Queen Elizabeth II does feel like the monarch to me. ;)