[Chaotic] Old waste: "I'll bet ya 50r...."

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by ShelLuser, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unfortunately this does not follow EMC's gaming rules as explained here: https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/gaming-gambling-regulations/

You may do the event without betting on its outcome or you can run it ingame as the rules state.

The biggest problem is that for gambling on EMC we require the odds to be known in advance and posted. This is an unknown as you yourself and others have stated therefore it would still not follow the rules.

It's also not verifiable whether you actually will or will not find the ores you specified without prior senior staff assistance therefore I recommend you do not take any bets and simply do the dig as an interesting excercise.
  2. Although the mining already occurred, I believe. For this part, someone could just world download (an auditor, not necessarily SS) the waste spawn before Shell started mining, with world edit you can get the exact count of obtained ores

Or just record the process if necessary

So in futures events like this, this part can be met

Just helpful constructive criticism for the event :)
  3. (I know I'm not Shell :p)

I might be missing your point, but as far as I know, the players have nothing to lose. This could just as well be written as a giveaway where you can choose for number 1 or 2.
    607, mjnoe70 and MCSaw like this.
  4. Agreed to be gambling you have to be putting in something. In this case it is only lose/lose to ShelLuser. I guess this just is based on staff determining if this is indeed "betting" then it doesn't follow the rules because it needs signs and run in game, so on so forth. However, more like a give away in this instance except the random winner is determined by ShelLuser and what they find. NOTE: this is no less unproven then someone who says I got random numbers from website X and these are the winners.
    607 likes this.
  5. On further reflection I have to agree with the comments that this is more of a giveaway and therefore the gambling rules do not apply. The multiple references to betting led me down the garden path. The unknown parts of this event still do not sit well with me but as players do not pay to enter this event I cannot stop it.

The only thing players could lose is their time in reading this thread and posting a response.

Carry on.
    crystaldragon13 and 607 like this.
  6. Aw, I missed this.
    Well, I saw it yesterday... but the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle race was starting soon at AGDQ2018, and I was hurrying through the forums. :p
    I would've said 'Yes'!
  7. How is it gambling when no one has to pay any money to play?

A random drawing on random.org also can't be verified. So should I now assume it's illegal to do give aways?

Very strange line of reasoning here if you ask me.

And all the money Shell can lose is of course of no further concern and best ignored. Gotcha :p

(this is also a bump, final bump)
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  8. If you'd have read on (which I'd suppose you would do), you'd see that Tom and mjnoe already pointed this out, and Baradar stood corrected.
    mjnoe70, Baradar67 and JDHallows like this.
  9. Because in the OP, you stated that the 500r was a 'bet' between yourself and the players on whether you could dig up the materials. It was not until later that you clarified that the players would not have to spend any rupees to participate in the event. In addition, at no point in the OP did you clarify that this was a giveaway. I can understand why Bara misinterpreted the OP, because the explanation of the giveaway was confusing.

Despite the fact that a drawing on random.org can be easily faked, the situation is still different. Bara wrote his original post under the assumption that this was a gambling event, not a giveaway. Thus, you just stating in the thread that you either did or did not mine enough ores was not a very safe line of reasoning for a gambling event. This could be easily lied about to suit the needs of the OP, if this was an actual gamble. (Not saying you would do this Shel, but we can't pick and choose who the gambling rules apply to.)

No different than any other giveaway, yes.

Bara misinterpreted the OP, and he admitted to as much in his 2nd post on this thread. Calling him out on a misunderstanding that he had already corrected is not fair, by any means.

As for the event, I would have voted yes that you could mine up that many resources, if I had seen the thread in time for the submission deadline. When I used to go mining more often, I never had to travel very far to mine in the waste, even after it had been around for this long.
  10. Final comment regarding this post, so as to clear up any confusion going forward:

The post itself was not a problem. The wording of the post was confusing, and therefore led to a misinterpretation by a staff member (and the player(s) that reported it to have the staff member review). The giving away of items/rupees to players is perfectly fine. The issue is the wording of the term 'bet' which implies that the player would have to 'pay in' in order to participate.

Side note: Players could have easily changed their yes/no due to this being a forum post. Working on a way to make this not an issue with forum giveaways. More coming to the forums on this soon.

Hope this cleared the situation up completely, even after JDHallows' wonderful response. Let me know in a pm if there are any follow-up questions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.