Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PinkPotatoe, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Does money buy happiness?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2016.
Yes 28 vote(s) 52.8%
No 25 vote(s) 47.2%
  1. This, so much this.

It's not only emotions that can make true happiness, it's the experiences you make with your loved ones and friends. You can never replace your experiences and that's what matters most.
  2. I heard somewhere that up to 70,000 dollars a year. Yes, yes it can. I think it has to do with the fact that having a certain amount of money allows you to live more comfortably. As an adult who has to deal with the stress of bills, I can definitely attest to that! However, I don't see the need to have extreme amounts of money. Being surrounded by genuine people who care about you is much more important.
    MrsWishes likes this.
  3. I'll agree that the most fun I've had on EMC has not come from having an abundance of rupees. However... I could argue that rupees does mean more happiness on EMC.

Say I want to build a spleef arena - I'd need rupees to do that, and the finished product would bring me happiness. So, in a way, rupees do mean more fun.

On the contrary, there have been times where I have ten times the rupees I do and have been bored on EMC. Writing this, I find Rupees and EMC is actually really comparable to real life. Rupees don't always mean happiness, but they can help with it; money doesn't always buy happiness in the real world, but it can certainly help.
  4. Money buys happiness when you use it wisely. Say I were to win the lottery. First thing I'd do is take care of my mom and grandma. Pay off all bills they have. Them being less stressed means less worry for me overall, which does lead to more happiness. Second thing I'd do is pay off my student loans (to my father). That makes me happy by removing a burden. Third thing would be to buy a house and set up a trust fund for my future children. Knowing that my future offspring have it easier in life will make me happy.

I've never been one to spend lavishly on myself. I enjoy finding that something special for others when shopping, but when I find something for myself, it's not that rewarding.

Given millions of dollars, I could make many people happy.
    ShelLuser, 607, PenguinDJ and 7 others like this.
  5. ...I'm gonna double back on the last post I made. >.>

sure, the two may not be "related"
    but for me (and quite a lot of other people, I imagine), they are more related than you think.

It's more common to see someone without money and unhappy...
    ...than it is to see someone with a lot of money and unhappy.

If you don't have money, you literally can't do anything. This is especially true in big cities where I live; you need money just to sit down and talk to people. Literally. (I once met someone in real life who said they wouldn't sit down and have a chat with me unless I paid them $20. Seriously? Then again, this person was in their 40's and probably worse off than me...) On that note, if you're going into a restaurant or fast-food place to talk to people, you'd better have some money to pay for food or else you'll most likely just be kicked out. (I always pay wherever I go to avoid that happening, even if it's just to buy a small pastry or a small order of fries.)

So long story short, whoever said "money can't buy happiness" is probably secretly sick of having no money and is just saying that out of spite, jealousy, envy, or just plain feelings of inadequacy.
  6. I secretly wish my (ex-)father would take those words to heart for once... :(
  7. Material possessions can not make you happy. True happiness can only be obtained from separating yourself from materialism and selfishness.
  8. Oh and I'd quit working as a lab tech so I could play EMC all day =P
  9. Money can buy Mountain Dew, so yeah, kinda.
    AverageWalrus and ChickenDice like this.
  10. to quote Daniel tosh, "You ever seen a sad person on a jet ski?"
    ChickenDice and deathconn like this.
  11. Yes. My grandfather is a very rich, but lonely man who regrets ruining a relationship.

Money buys hapiness up to 75k per person per year in a household, then it drops. If you have money, it is what you do with it that makes you happy.
  12. I am going to leave it at this:

Money can definitely buy happiness. However, money does not always buy happiness. Sometimes, money leads to sadness. However, it all depends on how you spend it and where you spend it.

"I'd rather cry in a Ferrari than on a bicycle..."
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  13. After 20 minutes of reading each comment and thinking about it, I think you guys have summed this conversation up...
    Having no money can create worry about your future and make debt seem inescapable, and a prominent issue in many people's daily lives. However, having too much money may, for some people, make you spend money on the wrong things, things that you really don't need.
    My dad makes 100k a year, but I go to a private school. Nearly all my friends' parents are millionaires. Does this stand in the way of our friendship? No. Does this mean they make fun of me? Of course not. Does it make me upset that we don't have money? Not really.
    Out of all of my experiences with lots of money, and no money at all, I think the following... Lots of money can be used in different ways, in good ways and bad ways. Being poor can create debt and that is one of the biggest causes of worry for every person, poor or rich. Because, believe me, rich people can have debt too. So, in conclusion, the happiest zone of wealth is the middle class. Sure, being rich may get you a few Ferraris or Lamborghinies, but is that really the source of happiness? Is that really what we are destined to be happy for? A few cars? Does that even matter to us, other than showing them to our friends, otherwise known as, boasting? But you don't see someone crying in a Ferrari do you?

"A rich man is nothing, but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
    "Money has never made a man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in it's nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has, the more one wants." - Benjamin Franklin
    "A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift
    ChickenDice likes this.
  14. Money itself doesn't make you happy at all. It's what you can do with money that can make you happy. But there's other ways to be happy without using money, it's just another path. But on its own it's no more than green cotton.
  15. They can buy you lessons in how to be polite. Also, none of them are happiness.

Life isn't happiness.
  16. "I'm not saying money can't buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in a Ferrari." -Anonymous
  17. my thoughts.....
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate and that is close enough
    JaniceTheDorito likes this.
  18. Potato....
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  19. Money can make life easier which in turn can make your life happier, but it doesn't make you happy. What makes you happy is determined by physical, mental, and emotional health. For example, a reason why people with lots of money buy lots of stuff is because they can't quench their sadness with expensive things in the long run.