Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PinkPotatoe, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Does money buy happiness?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2016.
Yes 28 vote(s) 52.8%
No 25 vote(s) 47.2%
  1. Mhmmn, the sound of money is music to my ears. -Mr. Krabs
    Can money really buy happiness? How many rich people are nice compared to poor people? Not that many... And niceness guarantees a great and happy life, but... When have you ever seen someone in a Ferrari cry?
    You decide!
    Please don't turn this into an argument... This happens a lot in debates like this. :p
  2. Money can buy things that make people happy, but to me, I'd rather my money make somebody else smile. Emotions make true happiness, not money.
    607, SkareCboi, pascal1881 and 2 others like this.
  3. I don't think money can buy you happiness, if you ask any popular person or some one that won a lottery they usually say they are depressed a lot more than they usually where. And I don't think Spongebob is a good place to get quotes, because honestly Mr.Krabs is pose as a character to make children laugh.

Now heres some quotes that back me up :p

"Money can't buy you life"- Bob Marley

"Its not how much we have, but how me much enjoy, that makes happiness" - Charles Spurgeon

"There are some things that money just can't buy. Like manners, morals, and integrity" - Unknown

4. It can, from experiences
  5. whoever said money cant buy happiness didnt have money
  6. Money buys Minecraft. Minecraft is the definition of happiness. So, money can buy happiness. ;)
  7. Money is a pathway to happiness, but there are many pathways to happiness, you don't have to have money to have a happy life. If you don't have as much money as the millionaires, you can still be happy. People find happiness through sharing things with others, some find it by just being social, some find happiness through hobbies. There are so many pathways to happiness that I must say that money can buy happiness but is not the only way to happiness.

My work here is done.
    southpark347 and kyukyu99 like this.
  8. Adding "no offense" does not rid you of responsibility. Also, the riddle goes "What do the poor have that the rich want? The poor have nothing, the rich want nothing."

Depends. If all that ruins your happiness is related to a lack of money, then yes, money can buy you happiness. If what makes you happy isn't able to be bought, obviously money can't buy you happiness.
  9. Not sure if the quote applies to this or anything, but meh:
    "I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy" - Oscar Wilde.
    southpark347 and PenguinDJ like this.
  10. Money is everything. Scientifially [EDIT] Scientifically, you can buy happiness. You buy injections of dopamine. Dopamine is the chemical in your brain that stimulates happiness. So yes, you can literally buy happiness.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  11. Lol.
  12. Yes, as you can buy things with money that give you happiness. You can also give money to other people which gives the other person happiness due to your contribution which makes you feel happy because they're happy.
  13. Found a story on imgur I think sums it up nicely (link - warning, some foul language)

You can buy things that make you happy, obviously. But you won't stay happy. Whatever enjoyment you get from your purchases and investments will run out sooner or later - it's like bailing water out of a leaky boat. Genuinely being happy does not come from wealth, but life and what you do with it. Rich can be happy and poor can be miserable, but money is neither the means nor the ends.
  14. I know you can't really compare the two, but even so: Does having more rupees make you have more fun on the Empire? Does it suddenly change your game so that it becomes a lot more enjoyable?

To me it doesn't. I can have just as much fun chatting with people and just doing things, than I have while spending money on stuff. Real life is more or less the same for me. Some of the most enjoyed moments in my life didn't involve money at all.
    the_creeper_lord and PenguinDJ like this.
  15. But having more IRL money does: it allows for a lot more fun. Having money allows you to buy supporter ranks which give you more residences, chat in the wild and so on. Having more residences allows for you to build more things that you enjoy. Being able to talk in the wild and having another chat allows for a better social experience. Both chatting and doing stuff were in your list of things you like doing.
  16. "There are some things that money just can't buy. Like manners, morals, and integrity" - Unknown

:)

"Money can't buy you life"- Bob Marley
    kyukyu99 likes this.
  17. No. My most enjoyable times on here were when I was literally dirt poor.

Now that I don't really have to work for anything anymore, I find things less enjoyable. I practically live in creative mode since I can buy most any material I want. That is not fun on a survival server IMO.
    607 likes this.
  18. Money can't make you happy unless you try. Take the GoDaddy website, they spend much of their money making people happy in 3rd world countries.

So it all depends on the person in my opinion.

I would type more but I am on my cell.
  19. Whoever said money can't buy happiness never experienced what's it like to not have money for a prolonged period of time.
    Having enough money to not worry about money problems like when and how to pay for groceries, rent, medical costs, tuition fees etc definitely makes you happier than if you didn't have the money and are constantly worrying, stressed out and possibly depressed about your situation.
    Of course when you come to the point that you have enough money to cover all your basic living expenses and don't know how to spend it all I think it won't be able to buy you happiness anymore and you'll just get bored of it. xD
  20. My (ex-)father makes $100,000 a year working one job.
    My mother (who I am currently living with) works 2 jobs and doesn't even make half that amount in the same amount of time.

However, him and her are both unhappy.

My two cents (no pun inteneded :p):
    I don't think it's that "money can't buy happiness;" rather, money and happiness are not really related to one another. Someone could have all the money in the world and be unhappy. On the same token, someone could have no money and still find ways to get around in life, not constrained or bound by the society of whatever world they live in (basically hunting, living off the environment, etc). The same could be true vice-versa: someone could have all the money in the world and happy because they live with someone who they could share it with, OR someone could have no money yet still be bound by society and feel left out because you need money to go anywhere or do anything.

Comparing money to happiness is like comparing to .
    Not only do they have nothing in common (one is a food item, the other is a material), but they have no influence on each other whatsoever. :p

Although I could be wrong... but again, just my two cents. ^^;
    the_creeper_lord and Kephras like this.