Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PinkPotatoe, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Does money buy happiness?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2016.
Yes 28 vote(s) 52.8%
No 25 vote(s) 47.2%
  1. Here are some of my favorite proverbs about this topic. I personally do my best to apply these. (I feel balance is needed in all aspects of life, especially this one.)

"For wisdom is a protection just as money is a protection, but the advantage of knowledge is this: Wisdom preserves the life of its owner."

"Remove untruth and lies far from me.
    Give me neither poverty nor riches.
    Just let me consume my portion of food"
    Or as a Contemporary English Version translates it. “Don’t let me be too poor or too rich. Give me just what I need.”

Everyone's situation varies. I personally have some very poor friends and some very, lets say, well off, friends. They both have their own unhappiness's due to their monetary situations. i.e. trying to obtain more money, or trying to keep what they have. But they feel like I do, the worry over money won't make you happy no matter what situation you are in.
    I'm happy being content ^_^
    the_creeper_lord and FinalArc like this.
  2. Everything costs money one way or another. To conceive a child costs money (Paying for the hospital bill), Getting a house, getting games. Even if you obtained something for free it cost money to make. Money does give you hapiness. Not by amount though. That's what I think. Also, in my opinion it depnds on how you use it. For example, giving it to others and sharing it.
  3. This proves my point rather than yours.
  4. WARNING: SAD: So My Life Has Been Up And Down. Its Been Sad and stuff. First off its my Brother dying, And then my dad moving away, and then my Grandma died. ( this is a short version) So the past 2 years for me had been ruff, and I've learned, my mom said. "As Long As were family is together, were happy." So What That Taught me is Money Can Not Buy Happiness
    Kytula likes this.
  5. I believe that travel is the worlds true happiness. Seeing the different cultures and seeing earth for who it is. My family lost 2 members this year, and the announcement of travel was almost like a medication to the sadness. So yes, Money does buy happiness.
  6. I don't know if this was a serious post.. But I'd like to share certain things I've learnt over the years.

Money can ONLY buy temporary happiness. You will always only love something for so long. What makes you happy is being around someone you love, whether it be your girlfriend/wife/family or friends. It doesn't matter... The majority of them will be with you forever.
    I don't want to lecture everyone .-. I just wanted to share that with you.

Have an amazing day and never forget... there's ways someone in the world thinking about you and caring for you.
  7. It never gets boring-That's what makes travel different, and enjoyable. There's thousands of cities, cultures, cuisines, architecture, religion, a variety of plants and wildlife across hundreds of different countries you can visit. Each one is unique, and offers many unique and different experiences.
    607 likes this.
  8. The thing is, I would probably be happy if I was rich, and here's why...
    So let's say I have a million dollars. I'd make more and more, until I have 2 million. What I would do then is split it in half from that point on and use half for myself and my family and use half for charity. And again, back to charity. I don't believe in others doing the work with my money. I would start my own charity with my money and others who would like to help. This way, I would keep on making more money, and keep on helping more and more people.
    95% of rich people do not do what I just said so we have a bad view on them. Riches are good, if you know what to do with them. Also, I'd just like to say, about 1/5 of mega rich people (people who make over 100 million dollars in their lifetime) commit suicide and here's why:
    Their tired of having too much money to know what to do with, and once you get 50 million, your money will just keep growing faster than ever. Sure, donating to charity helps, but they see that life is hollow with too much money. To what we see as riches and wealth, they see a curse. They see the only way to escape is death.
  9. I think more money can make a person more happy. I like the video linked earlier in this thread, it describes it well. If you have more money, and utilise it well, you can do good things with it and that will make your life happier. And the more money you have, the happier you can be. But. There's another thing to it.
    The more money you have, the happier you can be, but the harder it will be to be happy.
    Most people in Ethiopia have tough lives. They have a reason to feel down. But for every little accomplishment, they feel good. Most people there are happier than most people here, because here, even though most of us don't know life-threatening dangers, we worry about school, work, tax, politics, et cetera. And the people who have even more money might even get into depression because they don't know what charity to donate too, or something stupid like that.
    Again, I think there's a point in the saying that money can buy happiness. But I will honestly say that I think it's much, much harder for a rich person to be happy than it is for a poor person. I'm not sure if I can really explain it so you will get it, but I think it's true. One example is how those people in Ethiopia are incredibly happy when they can go to school, are eager to learn, and even if something goes wrong... they're still happy, just because they can go to school! However, in the Netherlands, people are often down about school. They say they will "never" be able to pass this test, they need to choose between learning for this or that, or perhaps even spare time... when you're not trying hard to survive, you'll worry much more about every stupid little thing.
    And one last example of having so much money that it's incredibly hard to be happy is Notch. You know Notch, don't you? Markus Alexis Persson (from memory, not positive). He has an incredible amount of money. But I don't think it will fare him well. Sure, he might feel incredibly happy at some times because he can donate loads of money to SGDQ, because he's worshipped by his Twitter fans, because he has everything he could want to do right in his house... but I'm sure he feels down a lot. I really am.
    I hope you understood this post, it's hard for me to express my feels. But I knew I wanted to add something to this thread.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but: the poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it you'll die.
    JaniceTheDorito likes this.