[Blog] 1.11 Mod Series

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by ContributionTeam, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Thanks for this. Personally I know this stuff backwards now but I showed it to my daughter to learn how this is done. She thanks you :D

I don't see the confusion personally. At the bottom of the blog, as clear as day, it says 'This completes the basics of the launcher and profiles. The next post in the series will be on installing Java and selecting that version.' Don't see how someone can get confused and think this is all there is.

Anyways.. Thanks TheBoracle, great stuff :)

2. Don't worry. The next Blog post will address this.

1.11 Mod Series: Buying the Game
    RaiinNL, ESSELEM, ShelLuser and 3 others like this.
  3. English is not his first language, but nice try looking for something to call him out on.

Skare's tutorial will give you information for how to fix your Mac problem! :)

https://empireminecraft.com/threads...ll-forge-liteloader-and-mods-in-1-11-2.69812/

Can't wait! I've always been fascinated by the sorcery that is purchasing a minecraft account! I can't wait to learn how! And maybe after that we can learn how to purchase alts?
    ShelLuser, Unoski and SkareCboi like this.
  4. Trying to figure out how the title is misleading. It says mod series. This implies that there is going to be more than the first part. Then if you read it he states that there are going to be more. I like this post and can't wait to read the next.
  5. And now we wait for the people reporting that they can no longer play after this because their minecraft crashes on startup. Thanks Windows 10.

For the matter, yes, this is relevant.
  6. Running windows 10 and works just fine for me.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  7. Yeah, except for the people that upgraded their woefully outdated WinXP pc's, only to find out that updating their java causes their, again, woefully outdated IntelHD graphics drivers to no longer work.
  8. I followed The Boracles instructions to make a new profile and change my java to 64 bits. Although the java "walk through" instructions were written for people updating browsers and not minecraft, I was able to struggle through and am very happy with the results. I don't have to stop and wait for the ocean to appear while boating anymore. :)
  9. This raises a point that I probably should have explained, Java has two parts to it. One is the Java Virtual Machine running within Windows which Minecraft can use, the other is the browser add-on. When you follow the instructions given it installs both parts.

What may happen though is that your browsers will see the updated version and ask if you want to enable the add-on. I highly recommend you DO NOT ENABLE this unless you use java-based web games or worst of all, Australian government "secure" sites...

I hope that clears up any confusion but feel free to ask for further clarification.

ANd to be absolutely clear, the Java web-browser add-on and the games that use it are the easiest ways to get a whole boatload of malware onto your system. Be very careful if you enable it!
    crystaldragon13 and AlexC__ like this.
  10. It's great to see you guys taking an interest in improving the tutorials. One trick I learned when managing employees is always start with a positive thing before you criticize. In general, you don't want to criticize if you don't have to, but if you must, then this is how to do it.

Personally I think this is a great article. The only problem I see with it is that guy in the photo is using a Mac. :p
  11. Thank you for your kind words. It is such a shame that I am seen with a mac, that pic has been photoshopped beyond all recognition. I'm doubly confused when these articles are so clearly written for Windows users.

On that point, we do intend to post a follow-up article or a post here that will cover the other 9% that don't use Windows.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  12. After reading the latest installment I'm starting to agree with Skare up there, this blog is starting to become plain out misleading. Installing the "correct" Java version? There is a reason why Mojang shipped an older JRE you know, yet the blog totally ignores that aspect. There are plenty of situations where the latest version will actually cause more lag, less performance and an increase in hiccups.

This is starting to look like clickbait to me. And worse...

Staff claims that the blog is needed to attract new players (more attention for the Empire) but what kind of impression do you think you're leaving behind by sharing half truths? Not to mention the fact that if someone does read the blog and tries to comment (I just did) they get treated to this:

:confused:

This is not a good way to motivate your team members in my opinion.

Golden rule when dealing with mods: never, ever, download an executable. All that does is get you extra risks for getting malware. A mod, or plugin, is basically a mere jarfile (java archive) and the installation procedure is nothing more but copying it to the right directory.
    SkareCboi and EmpireMall like this.
  13. Pardon a double post, but this addresses something different.

Skare is most definitely direct, but rude? When I'm commenting you often complain that I'm too friendly (or too long) ;)

Anyway, so here's a direct comment for you to add to Skare's comment: The most used combination is that of Forge & LiteLoader, one installs Forge and then LiteLoader "on top". Both Forge as as well as LiteLoader create their own (new) profiles. There is absolutely no need, what so ever, to do this manually.

Or to be direct: (quote): "To install and use 1.11.2 mods, you will need to create a 1.11.2 profile.". That is plain out nonsense because the Forge installer as well as LiteLoader does this for you.

So yeah, Skare most definitely has a point when he says that this is misleading information.

And just so we're clear: I am sure I speak for Skare as well when I say that we're not being negative for the fun of it. Sharing information like this looks sloppy, it doesn't look professional at all, and that is what some of us see. EMC can do much more and much better.

... if you let us.
    SkareCboi and Gawadrolt like this.
  14. With very notable exceptions of any mod (and modloader) that automatically creates the profile for you, such as Forge and Optifine - the jar for them IS executable, and IS available as an exe (or was last time I checked) and CAN be installed by running it.
  15. Boracle didn't ignore this, writing: "Be careful though, as they sometimes cause problems because everyone has different hardware. "
    Having content be strong/quality/suitable/entertaining/useful- whichever characteristics are applicable - is the #1 priority of the blog and as long as I have a role in promoting this, that will always be the case. If a post can be optimised to help the server grow, that's an amazing benefit for EMC but it does not get in the away of good writing. While I hope my comment above/below helped clear your concerns about the "this" you refer to, but speaking generally now, our team works really hard to produce good content; if a point is ever off target then that would be an innocent mistake (that I would take fault for as it would have been missed in multiple layers of review), but never would anyone make deliberate attempts to mislead the reader by propagating 'half truths'.
    Is that before trying to post? As far as I'm aware the comments section is working, so that is likely a bug. Send us a message and we'll see if it can be fixed :)
    Some of this I can't speak for as I'm not as knowledgeable with mod installations as Boracle is, but:

Before that quote, the article recognises automation with: "At the bottom left of the image above, you can see I have selected my Forge and Liteloader profile for 1.11.2, which contains a set of mods using these respective modloaders, but we’ll get more into what those are in another segment of the series."

But you still do need to create/have knowledge of a 1.11.2 profile to install mods. You're right that you can do this automatically, which the article notes as coming in a later article, but you are still making a 1.11.2 profile in any case (perhaps I could have spotted a change to the structure/wording here to reflect that more clearly). It also used to be done manually, and other mods I don't use may require manual profile creation (this is that area I can't really speak for). Either way, having a functioning knowledge of profiles and the need to set them for the corresponding mod version is covered here as part of the bigger picture of the article, and incredibly useful as noted by some of the posts in this thread. It's definitely not nonsense.

16. Although true, they didn't elaborate. My point here is that if new(er) users are the target audience then it's not always useful to leave loose ends. And if they don't have to perform a certain task then it's often better not to.

I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I also commented to TheBoracle directly saying that their post is in my opinion a good one in the overall. But what I am missing here, and why I'm responding, is that optimizing interaction.

I'm sure that several current members of the contribution team could (and would) have given feedback like this as well, which would allow the contribution team to work together with the author, giving them all the required feedback they need to get those small caveats out. This is normally what an editor in any kind of media does. And I cannot help share that I think that this interaction was missing here.

Will do!

We will have to disagree on some points, but I can most definitely see your side of the story as well. Thanks for your comment and thanks for hearing me out.
  17. I have been totally remiss in not thanking you for the brilliant graphic EnderSkele. Looks great!
    ShelLuser likes this.
  18. Thanks. I usually wait a while after a patch to update. Having the links and reminders available made it easy.
    TheBoracle likes this.
  19. After being quite critical (see above) I'd also like to share a different opinion. I think the current post (installing Forge) was nicely done. To the point, lots of illustrated examples and I could especially appreciate the (unfortunately very much required) warning about the risks of malware.

However, I also have one comment, but much less critical than above.

Thing is: I was left a bit surprised that no warnings were given about the reason why Forge 1.11.2 isn't the current version at the moment, and it also puzzled me that despite showing the big red warning on top of the title screen regarding Forge being Beta no comment or reference to this was made. Because trust me: that big red warning was put in place for a very good reason.

Forge beta, 1.11.2 (30.20.0.2226 being the current version), is not stable. The reason I mention this is because literally anything can happen right now. For example: the previous version (2224) could crash if you were to use the Voxelmap liteloader plugin (latest stable version). That got fixed in 2226.

But considering that this series is targeted at new users I believe that it might have been useful to warn them about these possible problems. A mod which would normally be perfectly usable can easily crash when used on this beta version.

But other than that, I mentioned it already, I think this part was very nicely done.
  20. Yes, mods and programming in java is quite fun! In fact, I code in java, though this could be interesting!!! I'll consider! ;)