Auto-protection of blocks in the waste - lots of things are now protected including crops

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LindenNZ, Jan 4, 2021.

?

How do you feel about waste auto-protection?

I like it how it was before the update. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I like it how it is now. 1 vote(s) 100.0%
I would prefer a different set of blocks protected. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I would like to be able to turn protection on and off in the waste. 1 vote(s) 100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just FYI, anything not in the list below is auto-protected in the waste. That now includes logs, leaf blocks, flowers, all crops, bamboo, sugar cane, cactus, mushrooms, sandstone, grass blocks, podzol, mycelium, wooden planks, snow, ice. (Melon and pumpkin are harvestable, but stems are protected).

I know I've already placed some of these things out in the waste not knowing they would be protected. From placement of blocks by others I get the feeling they weren't intending/expecting their blocks to be locked permanently either.

Personally, I am not on board with a lot of these things being protected. I liked the waste being a free and collaborative space, with temporary community farms and shared spaces and resources. But I assume that locked crops was a deliberate decision made for a reason?

ANDESITE
    BASALT
    BLACKSTONE
    BROWN_TERRACOTTA
    COARSE_DIRT
    COBBLESTONE
    DIORITE
    DIRT
    END_STONE
    GRANITE
    GRAVEL
    LIGHT_GRAY_TERRACOTTA
    NETHERRACK
    ORANGE_TERRACOTTA
    RED_SAND
    RED_TERRACOTTA
    SAND
    SOUL_SAND
    SOUL_SOIL
    STONE
    TERRACOTTA
    WHITE_TERRACOTTA
    YELLOW_TERRACOTTA
    607, Talechaser and UltiPig like this.
  2. /npmode can be used to toggle this.

The problem I see with this is that there will be (and there already are) randomly placed blocks/torches/whatever in the frontier, making it look messy. I wouldn't know a solution for it, though, other than to associate the protection with the derelict timer.
    Ethy202 and Rhycicles like this.
  3. You know, this isn't actually a bad idea. Since the derelict system is in place to prevent old people's builds from taking up space in town, why should the wild be exempt from the same system?
  4. This post is about the WASTE, not the frontier. Frontier you can toggle on/off buildmode and use noprotect mode but in the waste those commands don't work. Some things are protected, some are not and since the update a LOT of things are protected with no player control.

(I think the protected random torches in frontier are new players placing down starter soul bound torches not knowing they're creating a permanent feature :confused: I think that banned players at the very least should get block-protection automatically revoked. )
  5. noprotectmode still works in the waste.
    As for this being the case in the waste: why should it really matter that much? It gets wiped periodically.

+1 but I think this may deserve a suggestion thread in and of itself.
    607 and Rhycicles like this.
  6. It says on the wiki that noprotect mode doesn't work in the waste....I didn't test it....so does it work in the waste or not?
  7. I'm fairly sure it works, as I've used it multiple times in the waste. I'll verify and correct that tomorrow (later today, rather, in however many hours)
    607 likes this.
  8. Aha! Noprotect mode does work in the waste! I tested it by unfriending an alt account. That's good for my purposes. I still think there are players placing stuff not knowing it's getting protected but hopefully in time people will realise.

Different players have different uses of the waste so I try not to assume how others use it. I like to keep it as usable and nice for others as possible. Other players seem to enjoy trashing it. Although it gets reset we do use it for a good while and it's nice to be able to build little farms or structures to share with others.

The wiki and in-game info need updated though as they both refer to it as being a frontier-only function.

Wiki says:

"What if I don't want to use block protection?(top)

If you want to place blocks that should not be protected, you can turn off block protection by using the command /noprotectmode. When this is active, it will show recurring warnings and every block you place while this mode is active will not be protected, no matter what kind of block you place (common or uncommon).

This command can only be used in the Frontier."

and in game when you switch it on it says:
    "Activate No Protect Mode when building in the Frontier to disable all Anti Grief protections...." etc
  9. I agree that auto-protection is too strict now. The only people who use /noprotectmode are those who actively care about the appearance of the frontier and those who want certain redstone devices to work. I've seen many instances of new players who get on for an hour, place starter oak planks and torches randomly everywhere, then logoff forever.

My suggestion is that buildmode (including auto) should be OFF by default for everyone, but when you toggle it on - it stays on forever even between sessions.
  10. I'd like a continuous display of buildmode status rather than periodic flashing up too.

There are definitely players trying to do the right thing by everyone and thinking long term and then those who aren't thinking that way or are new and just don't know the consequences of their actions.
    Talechaser likes this.