Are end crystals build protected in the wild?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tiburok, May 22, 2017.

1. If I place an end crystal in my base in the wild (frontier) with /buildmode turned on, will it be protected by buildmode? I'm curious because I noticed that some things aren't (like items in frames, which are frequently stolen). The risk of placing an end crystal and then having it broken by some passerby could result in some serious explosions so I thought I'd better ask before I set mine down.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. End crystals do not explode on EMC. You can egg them with a stick. When you have /buildmode on, everything you place is protected.
    607 likes this.
  3. OK thank you. I just wanted to check because like I said, someone came to my base and stole items from item frames and I have been very careful to use build protection in my base. I don't mean to be annoying, it's just that after that I got the idea that I can't be 100% sure.

Also this leads me to wonder if end crystals I place in buildmode can be egged by other people, since animals that I place can be taken by other people. I realize that there's a huge difference between an animal and an end crystal but both can be egged, hence my wondering.
    607 and Carbonyx like this.
  4. No problem. I am actually not sure about egging in buildmode. I'll have to do some research.
  5. If people are stealing from item frames, place build protected glass on the frames to prevent people from taking stuff.
    Tbird1128 likes this.
  6. what items? yeah, u gotta be careful with containers b/c buildmode doesnt protect the contents. but i think i know some ppl who can help you here ^.^

tell me what items got stolen and im sure some ppl can replace them (these guys: http://tinyurl.com/projectgrip)

dunno, but one way 2 find out ^.^
    Tiburok and 607 like this.
  7. Thank you so much for your kind consideration. I appreciate that but the items that were stolen were easily replaceable, it was just a minor annoyance and messed up my item sorting system a little. Thank you anyway though :)
    AyanamiKun, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  8. So yeah... Aya told me about this thread, then had me help her test this ;)

Honesty demands respect in my book, so yeah, we went all the way here.

Short answer: No. The problem is that an end crystal is a so called entity. Entities are basically "dynamic" things: mobs, things you can interact with (so they change) like item frames and... the end crystal. Another detail: entities are vulnerable to the /kill command. Us players can't use this on the Empire (thank Aikar for that :D) but you can in single player. Let's just say that I have had my shares of misfired /kill's which resulted in me having to replace a dozen or so item frames.

As said... we went all the way.

So first Aya placed an obsidian block and an end crystal, then I unfriended her. This was the result:

Placed in /waste n on SMP2

And the result:

Now, for me this proved enough. However... As said we went all the way. So the next step was to go into the Frontier (the /wild w on SMP2, the name alone amuses me to no end) and retry this. This time it was Aya who placed the end crystal (using /buildmode) and I tried to retrieve it. Yeah...

So concluding: End crystals are not protected by this. And before you consider sending in suggestions: this isn't something easily fixed I think. As mentioned: these are entities and not so much blocks, so their whole setup is already different (but... I'm not a developer and I don't know for sure what can and cannot be done through code).

Hope this helps :)
  9. Oh my goodness! You really did go all out to test this. Wow, screenshots and comprehensive testing. Thank you so much! I was going to test it just now but I saw your results and...yeah that totally answers my question. That does help :)
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  10. While on the subject of blocks not covered by antigrief or /buildmode... pistons have some unique mechanics. I tested them thouroughly right after antigrief came out (but no screen shots like Shel). Oddly enough, I also tested on SMP2.

Results:
    Other players can not break block protested pistons in either position. However, a protected block that has been moved by a piston IS vounerable. The block is only protected in the original position it was placed. If the piston moves the block back to its original position, it is again protected. This works the same if pushed or pulled and the same if piston was retracted or extended when the block was placed. I believe (but don't remember exactly) that if I place a piston, red stone placed by others won't operate it, but I'm not positive. It didn't really matter for my needs, as mine were already extended where I needed them protected and I sealed in all the redstone.
    Raaynn and ShelLuser like this.

11. Oooooooh......I forgot that end crystals were entities......gg.
  12. You and Aya truly are incredible. Always going above and beyond to help fellow players. Love it.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  13. See. Now if this could be fixed I think it should be done differently. Like if you placed an end crystal in build mode... and if a non-owner came to steal it... THEN it should blow up on EMC, hopefully taking the griefer out in the process.
    ShelLuser, Eviltoade and WardleDeBoss like this.
  14. I big fan of this idea.
    ShelLuser, Raaynn and Eviltoade like this.
  15. Me too lol
    ShelLuser, WardleDeBoss and Raaynn like this.
  16. Wouldn't that be intentional pvp. Like you set a trap and killed them. Just thinking about someone abusing this and leaving them close to spawn so a newbie sees it and tries to take it. Booooooooom!!! he's dead, he hates the server now and it's all your fault. Plus you get banned.... I don't see a winner here.... Unless it explodes doing zero damage to anything. Then you just need to replace the crystal.
    607, Raaynn, ShelLuser and 1 other person like this.
  17. Same here!

Somewhat evil, but still kind of "vanilla'ish" anyway :)

(edit)

Very true. Or... He thinks "wow, this server takes anti-grief seriously! I love it!" :D

You make a good point of course but in all fairness the newbie shouldn't have messed with the block in the first place. Something which you also get warned about when entering the waste.

Doesn't mean I do agree with you, this would definitely cause more drama than it's probably worth. Still.... :D
    AncientTower, 607 and Raaynn like this.
  18. Worth it!! :p
    (jkjk we were just joking to begin with lol)
  19. We were? awwwww :D
    Eviltoade and Raaynn like this.
  20. Yes, obviously I know this wouldn't be done. Just kidding myself. Just a certain sense of satisfaction over the mere thought of a griefer exploding in a ball of flames puts a smile on my face :)

a Big smile!

ShelLuser likes this.