Angry old white guy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Masterkism, Jun 8, 2015.

1. You should be building in the frontier instead of the wastelands.....but I understand! Last week my friends and I got griefed in the wastelands from our tiny base just to mine and head to the nether. Luckily, the guy who griefed it got banned permanently. :) If you want a place to build with a lower chance of being griefed, build in the frontier and lock your chests. It's only a 1k fee. ;)
  2. Just the one build is in the wastes, all others are in the frontier. Haven't found a sea temple in the frontier.
  3. Here are few ideas on how to reduce stealing and griefing.

Basically, (new) people will grief and steal much less
    - if they are more (and faster) socially integrated into the community
    - if they have invested time and effort in their game on EMC
    - if they like it here

In other words, if they have something to lose if banned.
    So if we get the new players faster to that point that they have something to lose, the stealing and griefing will go down.

What really counts is not how much they possess, but much more how much effort they have invested in the game and in EMC so far. Giving them rupees, diamonds and stuff for free works contrary to that goal, as it reduces the needed effort, as it makes the game easy and therefore boring. If they see that other players get stuff for free, it will likely ruin their game and increase probability of stealing. This is not that big issue now as it was some 2 years ago, because the inflation reduced what supporters get without in-game effort.

Encouraging them to invest time and earn stuff and reputation, and get some friends - this is what counts.

Some practical ideas:

- If the mandatory tutorial is short and / or if it can be skipped, then there could be a second tutorial which players can pass to get some key privileges. Like e.g. digging and building in the frontier.

- Giving them in-game task that they can accomplish in order to get reputation and further privileges.
    Like preparing a path they can choose to step by step go through their initial time on EMC.
    Not to make it easier, but make it harder, make it require more time, just divide that into smaller steps.
    On this path they would also learn the game and have opportunity to socialize.

- If they are caught on minor stealing or griefing, give them opportunity to avoid ban and redeem themselves. This would include:
    A) apologize and choose to redeem themselves instead of being banned
    B) repay the damage and pay a fine (where possibly they have to work to do that)
    C) promise they won't do it again
    D) lose privileges until they complete A-C and pass tutorials again
    E) make this status visible in-game, so other players can see what happens
    kyukyu99 likes this.
  4. I would caution you against doing anything 'clever' like those videos.

Thieves aren't stupid. If they see suspicious or unnatural structures they will investigate... For example, in the first one the entire cliff is randomly dug out neatly like a chunk boundary. Not only that, but the natural layers of dirt mysteriously end... And there's this random hole in the cliff... All it takes is breaking a block or two to reveal the whole room... and 10 seconds to break in and take your stuff.
    ChickenDice likes this.
  5. Sometimes that's not always an option. For example, I was speed mining, and put my stuff in a chest temporarily before going back to spawn. A player appeared at the top of the mine, and I'm a suspicious person, so I went to get glass to block the ladder entrance. Took 5 seconds, and a lot was stolen. I am the idiot for leaving the stuff unattended (I did get it back) but I would pay the 500r to lock a beacon and a chest with a stack of diamond ore.

Thank you for saying that. I hate it when people say (for res griefings) "oh, you gave them perms to grief you so it's your fault." It appears on the Wiki several times (locked pages) and I get upset because, people do NOT give others perms to grief. It wasn't the victim's fault they were griefed. They had no idea. So people really need to stop saying that because it's completely untrue.

Okay, mini rant over. I used your post as a jump off point, really. ;)

Edit: http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/flags/
    FDNY21, ShelLuser and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  6. In a way rants like this could be counterproductive because griefing is not just meant to take stuff from people; it's meant to piss them off. Anger and frustration bring satisfaction because it's a way of proving that their doing their job effectively.

Yes, protect your stuff - but the best way to stop it entirely is the same way you stop bullying in school. Take away their power: the satisfaction that you can be pushed around, feared by them, and held subordinate to them. In short, make it boring. If griefers have no chaos to be entertained by, they'll get bored and move on.
  7. Res griefing is 100% the fault of the res owner. They alone have control of flags, and they are the ones choosing to trust the person they're adding. If you add people, you might or might not have an issue, but if you add no one? Then no one can take your stuff. That sounds like responsibility to me.
  8. It also sounds like a really boring way to play. People are awesome! It's the few that ruin it for the rest of us. It's not a players fault that they want to play with others and so have to risk that the other person is incapable of policing themselves. Yes, you can be safe and paranoid but you shouldn't have to and to say someone is wrong because they didn't, well I don't know if that makes the case that they are 100% at fault. Res perms allow us to act as a community while in town. You can't know everyone you have been playing with immediately. At some point, you didn't know everyone that you now know and trust. You can't build that trust if you aren't willing to trust in the first place :D
    PenguinDJ and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  9. I agree with 7 when it comes to the res blaming. I'm just going to throw in a quote from Twitch1's signature...
    "You wouldn't give a total stranger the keys to your house in real life...
    Why do it in the virtual world?
    If your lot is griefed, you have no one other than yourself to blame."
    Kephras likes this.
  10. This is why I wish we could build traps. I am serious, be sweet to plant mines
  11. We're talking about wilderness griefing, Penguin, where there are no flags or perms. If someone "griefs" your residence, it is indeed 100% your own fault for giving them the permission to do so.
    What I was referring to was the number of ways to prevent or minimize griefing in the wild - things like disguising your builds, using /hide on the livemap, building in locations well away from spawn and difficult to access... things of that nature. There is a lot that can be done to curb griefing, which falls on the owner of the outpost, but I happen to think it's a little unfair that such steps are necessary at all. Pointing out "Well, you could/should do X, Y, and Z," might be useful advice, but it's also basically telling outpost owners "It's your own fault," when in fact the real culprits are the jerks who get their jollies from stealing & destroying things (contrary to what M4nic seems to think, there are plenty of people out there who just do it for the lulz and don't give a damn about "community").

EDIT: Regarding your temporary chest? Single block of obsidian on the top to keep it from opening and slow 'em down - or force them to break the chest, making it entirely too obvious what they're doing. Not that leaving it unattended with stray players in the vicinity was terribly wise to begin with ;)
    I am glad to hear you got your stuff back, however.
  12. It seems we have two poles here

Optimistic "O" that would rather trust people, despite of expectation that stealing and griefing will occur every now and then. The extreme would be "trust anyone until you have reasons not to trust".

Pessimistic "P" that would rather not trust people because some percentage of them will steal or grief. The extreme would be like "trust no one" or "trust no one unless you have to in order to achieve a goal and only if you have some insurance".

The wise way is most probably somewhere in the middle.

My preference is more towards "O", because I think that leaning more towards "P" is detrimental both for a group / for a community as a whole and also for the most individuals in the long run.

A bit distant comparison: you know for sure, that while traveling, many people will be injured and some will die - each year, again and again. Do we stop or ban traveling?

I think that you can expect that a player will not steal or grief if you know that they have invested substantial effort in the game and if they are socialized in the community.

Of course, you don't give keys to a complete stranger with an empty res. If you do that, it's your fault.

But if you give keys to a known person that already has achieved something on EMC, what is the probability that they will steal from you or grief?
    And if it does happen, is it really 100% your fault?
    I don't think so.

Are there many players who join EMC to troll and grief?
    Or who will soon prefer to troll and grief instead of socializing?
    How many out of 100 new players?
    Is there a way to make them think that this isn't a good place for them?

So how about we give the permission to destroy and build in the Frontier only after a new player passes a tutorial and a test?
    Perhaps also pays a liability insurance premium?

For Wastelands, I like this idea of putting a block of obsidian above the chest very much.
    Make it a renamed block, like "Miner's key" and a renamed chest, like "Miner's chest".
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  13. Ok, manic. Give me admin on your res.
    ChickenDice likes this.
  14. I had a better idea. Do /res set admin true.
    Kephras likes this.
  15. X7mx now has admin on my res. Lets see how his theory holds manic ;-)
    x7mx and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  16. Do I know you?
    What would you like to do on my res?

You can go to 12221 on smp6 and do /res info.
    All of those people listed had build and other permissions including container while the shop was being built.

Would that be leaving the door wide open to complete strangers?
    Did I write "trust any stranger any time" or "go middle way and evaluate when you do trust and when not"?
  17. Right. I evaluated everyone, and trust only one person. And if she griefs my res, I am 100% at fault. Varying levels of trust and experience will change people's response. And I've been around long enough to know that the 'but I know him irl and they wouldn't do that' argument ends in tears about half of the time.
    Kephras likes this.
  18. it's unfortunate if you built a guardian farm in the Wastelands because it *will* be reset next time they do a reset.

you can find sea temples in the frontier, you just have to go out to an unrendered area which means it's far away from spawn and thus less likely to get griefed.
  19. Yes. That "half of the time" is about true in the kindergarten and primary school. That's what I'm saying about stealing and griefing being part of growing up.
  20. But... I'm a known person that has already achieved something on EMC. According to your argument, you should have no problem giving me perms.