An Empire residence collection map?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Jul 13, 2017.

?

An EMC historybook map?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2017.
Yes, I'd even apply for my res. to be added. 1 vote(s) 16.7%
Yes. 5 vote(s) 83.3%
I suppose, not quite sure here. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, if people want to they can get perm. protection. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other (please leave a comment below!). 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hi gang!

As you know there are some really impressive buildings on the Empire. Some people are true artists when you look at what they managed to cook up. From whole shipyards, the Eiffel tower, a mini-village (with Tardis :D), a giant tardis, to a ship in a bottle, a huge mall residence, artistic sculptures on Utopia or giant malls on Utopia.

There's a whole lot to admire.

Derelictism :eek:

Unfortunately things don't always work out. Some recent examples are the Needle on SMP2, /v +woolmart on SMP5, FairShop on SMP8, ClareMuss' awesome bookstore on SMP8 and I hope she doesn't mind me saying so but I also always enjoyed Palmsugar's hectic residence on SMP5.

Now, these things happen and I'm also not complaining or anything. But it does make me wonder: why didn't we preserve all this? I think that some residences are so beautiful (or special).. why not?

SO that got me thinking....

Why don't we make a custom map (comparable to the town world) in which we store / collect some of those special residences? The idea is that even if the owner stops playing for whatever reason his memory would still live on in this "History book map" thingie.

An EMC history book map?

This is just a wild idea I just got, so bear with me. Trying to brainstorm with you guys here.. Maybe we can turn this into an event of some sort?

(active!) Players would apply for their residence to get included. Every once in a while (a month or 3 months) we hold a poll / event and discuss which nominated residence(s) should be included. After that one or more winners get picked, their residences get downloaded and added to a custom map. This is the part I already got covered: world downloader is a thing and allowed on the Empire, and I also got WorldEdit in singleplay which can be used to sort out / set up a town world.

Hosting this map (for download purposes) also won't be much of a problem for me.

The main rule would be that for a residence to get accepted for nomination its owner needs to be active and also needs to share that they wouldn't mind their residence to get added to this project.

Thing is: players make buildings come alive, not the buildings themselves in my opinion. Sure: you can just go out and download stuff left and right and build some kind of collection, that just isn't the same. There's no feel, there's no story behind it....

What do you think? Would you participate?
    Jelle68 and SkareCboi like this.
  2. Sounds great shelly, I sadly haven't really got a residence that can be added (there are some things in build though...) but I always Like to see other people's builds, becuase there always is a better argitect here it seems...
    FadedMartian and ShelLuser like this.
  3. I would love to participate! :) ive only got 1 residence though that would be worth saving which is 18805 on smp9 it is an original Alexchance built mall quite the masterpiece.
  4. And a second quick bump (removed the other to keep the thread clean). So far so good, I can definitely understand that not everyone would be interesting, but yeah... As long as no compelling arguments are giving against the idea (if you have doubts I'd appreciate to hear them!) then I just might try to set something up to see where it ends.

Wether that'll work or not... "You don't know untill you tried" :)
  5. This is a GREAT idea Shell!!! I would've loved to see some of SSRC's builds saved and many others.