Aikar's name means something...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShelLuser, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Ey gang!

Out of the blue a nobody, yet former veteran, appears. Wait...

A wild ShelLuser appears before you!

Sorry, sorry... Maybe not sorry... at the time of writing I am not 100% sober (!) but I think it is amazing that whenever I think back about playing Minecraft on servers there are only 2 names... Buxville and Empire Minecraft, aka EMC.

And only 1 server out of those two still remains.

Not to mention... so there's this "other" server Aya and me played on. If we log on right now we have to explain ourselves and hope that the powers that be will remember us so we get our goodies back. Meanwhile, on the mystical lands of the Empire Minecraft my friend Aya can easily come back to her vanilla lands more than one year after and... it's still all hers.

Sorry for the distraction... I'm a Redditor these days. And I couldn't help but grin when I came across this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Why this is relevant you ask?

Easy! Because that dude obviously learned about Aikar and his improvements so.. they figured that they'd just grab it all and dump it into their servers. I thought it was kinda funny ;)
  2. So what does Aikar's name mean? I'm curious...
    BlockHead_56 likes this.
  3. You obviously didn't follow the link, or read all of it ;)

Aikar has released many improvement options back in the days and they even worked for servers. What happened here is that some guy grabbed these, dumped then onto their server.. wait.. This should explain it ;)
    BlockHead_56 likes this.
  4. ?!?!?!?!?!
    BlockHead_56 likes this.
  5. Welcome back Shell, we've missed you.
    BlockHead_56 and We3_MPO like this.
  6. im wondering the same 🤔
    BlockHead_56, We3_MPO and weeh like this.
  7. All I get is eye car. What is a car with eyes? It's not Cars, right?
    BlockHead_56, weeh and NuclearBobomb like this.
  8. Still wondering what the "something" is that his name means.
    BlockHead_56 and weeh like this.
  9. 👁️🚗
  10. That's a fun find!
    BlockHead_56 and Tuqueque like this.
  11. I might need it explained to me...looked at the links and I am still clueless. Is Aikar actually pronounced like "eye car". In my head it's always been like "A car". I think I'm just very confused all around. :confused: :rofl: :lmao:
    NuclearBobomb and BlockHead_56 like this.
  12. This is not what the OP is about. :p I do always pronounce it similarly to 'eye car', but that is not relevant to the Reddit post.
    Lily_Lil, BlockHead_56 and ultipig like this.
  13. It's just another EMC mystery.....
    NuclearBobomb and BlockHead_56 like this.
  14. The OP is about Aikar having some sort of presence in the overall Minecraft community. His code is in parts of PaperMC... which is used worldwide for Minecraft servers.

His username is in these Java arguments (from that Reddit post):
    -Dusing.aikars.flags=https://mcflags.emc.gs -Daikars.new.flags=true -jar

Note how "emc.gs" is in there, too, which is pretty neat. :)
    607, Lily_Lil and LindenNZ like this.
  15. 607 likes this.
  16. ohhhhh...I read it literally as something about the meaning of the name Aikar, not that his work has notoriety. :rofl: :lmao:
    (I knew that, I remember him talking about some of the people he's talked to and worked with)
    607 and ultipig like this.