A question that you need to answer trufully

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheFryedmans, Feb 14, 2019.

?

Are you dislexic or know someone who is?

This poll will close on Jun 14, 2027 at 6:09 PM.
Yes 7 vote(s) 21.9%
No 16 vote(s) 50.0%
I know someone who is 9 vote(s) 28.1%
  1. Are you a dislexic and how do you feel about it

If you feel willing to talk about it my fellow dislexic

YOU WILL NOT JUDGE PEOPLE
  2. I know someone with it - or something similar to it
    Otus_NigRum and thefriedmans like this.
  3. To start this of

It started when I was 7/8 and I could not spell to save my life

So I then got given a test by a professional and on the report it said that my spelling can irratic (that's what they put spelling error for them saying I was dislexic)

I made my was into high school and I met this person who has helped me soo much

I still struggle to this day but from my spelling being very bad to this it's a massive improvement

Feel free to share your story either about dislexia or about something else
  4. My younger brother has dyslexia, and he's in fourth grade but struggles just to write a sentence.

If I may ask, what has helped you the most while learning how to read and write? :)
  5. I've never met anyone in my entire life who is dyslexic. Maybe I have and they were hiding it. I don't blame them.
    607 likes this.
  6. Yes, Jortus_Maximus, he's not on EMC but born_ego and I did a lot of assignments for school together with him, and always had to rewrite what he wrote. ;) Because that was the case anyway, he didn't even bother to do try thing that should have been doable, like adding capitals. ;)
    And Jelle, of course! We'll see if he'll post himself.
    Mochoa_Frap likes this.
  7. Hmm well I read books (not very well) incoragement and when I met this person over time they had a list of like 4 or 5 words and then they would spell it out fonetikly (say it the way it is spelt) and do exercises for a week for 2

The person says it's more short term memory than long
  8. I am dyslexic as well but never knew it until a few years ago. To realize this had been my 'problem' all this time made such a difference in my life and for my self esteem. Once the reality of it hit home I sat there crying and continued to do so for a good week or more. For so long I had been treated as being slower and not that bright but I knew I was creative and very smart but being told and treated like that does take it's toll on a person.

I won't go into all the ways dyslexia manifests cause that's easy to look up so I will give you some insight on how my brain did a sort of work around for reading/spelling. I am god awful at spelling. xD I see words as pictures. When typing if I misspell a word it stops me in my tracks until my brain can figure out 'what's different' and then correcting it. It can be very very frustrating some times. I also leave words out when typing as I auto fill them as I'm reading what I typed. xD

The long and short of is that being dyslexic isn't awful.. it just means your brain processes things in a different way and that you're probably pretty darn smart.. you just have to do more work for the end product when spelling, doing math, giving, or following directions. xD On a last note .. I do sudoku to calm my brain down and relax so I can sleep because there's no 'picture' I have to remember cause it's always different.

Thank you for starting this thread thefriedmans.

OH!! I almost forgot!! I use this font where I can and has made a HUGE difference for me..
    https://www.dyslexiefont.com/

9. £72 pounds for the font??
  10. Hmmm.. I got it for free but that was some time ago.. I'll go look again. Thanks for letting me know about it....

Ok, just looked at it and you can get a home version for free for up to 3 I think, if I'm reading that right.
    607 likes this.
  11. I'm not dyslexic. I do, however, have dyscalculia. It's usually accompanied by dyspraxia (I am one hell of a clumsy person) and/or ADHD/ADD (I can't sit still, my mind races a million miles per hour, and I do get very easily distracted). I encounter many of the same problems as a dyslexic person does with words, but with maths. I can't do times tables at any kind of practical level, I struggle to add up large numbers so much that even numbers under 100 can take me several minutes to do and odd numbers are just as impossible as numbers over 100. I cannot subtract at all - you know that feeling when you're trying to remember something and can feel it connecting in your head, but you never quite get there? Hit me with a subtraction if you want to see that and watch as I spend the next few hours trying to do it and kicking myself in the foot because I know I should be able to do this but I can't.

I bring this up because I feel like it's relevant. But also, I'm listed as a dyslexic in the education system. They give me help with reading, give me the things in exams that dyslexic people would get. They don't recognise dyscalculia as an actual learning difficulty, or as even existing (it's well-accepted in the field of psychiatry as a legitimate neuronal disorder, though) and so my school had to say I was dyslexic to give me help. I am not dyslexic. Writing is the one thing that makes me feel empowered and is one of the few things I love doing. I love to read. I read so much. Historical documents written in Old and Middle and Modern English (Gea, ic gecnawan medmicel bannuc eald englisc.), books, Wikipedia pages, blahblahblah. I know conversational Welsh and I know a bit of German - I don't know if a dyslexic struggles with languages, but it was the labelling me as a dyslexic that stopped me from being accepted to study Spanish as a Secondary School qualification. I got a worthless qualification instead, where they literally gave you the answers, despite the Spanish lady I worked with saying I was the best in the class next to someone who actually lived in Spain for several years. This is the same position dyslexia was in twenty years ago. I definitely know the struggle of being dyslexic, and I imagine it's just as hampering as dyslexia.

In fact, the only teacher I ever had who understood what it was and supported me was a dyslexic herself, and used the methods used on dyslexics to read and write but for my maths. She said it worked on her mum, who was also a dyscalculiac. Imagine things as pictures, blahblahblah. Worked especially well because she took the time to get to know me and understood I'm an extremely artistic and visual person - when I write a story or something, everything plays out like a movie in my head. I've got a lot going on up there and she helped me focus on what I wanted to do. She taught me how to do it. It came far too late - my final year of college. I was far more concerned with my A Levels in History and Psychology to bother with the maths resit exam much. Plus, the exam got much harder because the government in this country decided to roll exams back to the style they were using in the 1950s. I could have passed in Year 12, when I could focus on it exclusively, if I'd had her as my teacher. But no - the one I had that year was some angry Chinese man who insulted my intelligence, didn't believe it was a real thing, left halfway through the year, and left me with a fat alcoholic who copied and pasted everyone's end of year report, thus inferring that I never showed up to lesson and slacked off, when I actually tried my best all year and attended every lesson but one. I graduated with my highest grade in Maths being a god damn E.

Still got into university though and will be moving there in August. A learning disorder/difficulty does not mean you're stupid. I have the mathematical ability of a ten year old child despite being almost nineteen years of age, and when I got diagnosed in school I was eleven with the mathematical ability of a six year old. I have five GCSEs, two A Levels, an A BTEC in IT, and have two universities who accepted me unconditionally as soon as they saw my personal statement, teacher's statement on me, and my qualifications. I hate that I ever let the bullies in Primary and Secondary school insult my intelligence because I couldn't do maths get to me, and I hate that I beat myself up about teachers thinking I was an idiot too. I'm just not and neither is anyone else who struggles with this stuff.