A Letter to the Community Regarding Reporting Players

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, May 6, 2015.

1. Who was it? images.jpg
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. Thanks for this!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. And remember kids. If you don't behave I'm gonna have to call some backup from my good old friend Darth Vader.
  4. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. yea you are a little turd xD
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I know I am :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. I feel like there are some new players that are getting more lax about the rules.
    Also, there are some staff (no names) and also players that are being super strict and biased.
  8. While I appreciate you not saying names on here, I would like you to message me privately the names of any staff member that fits your description so that I can fix the problem.
    GeistKitsune, Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  9. Nice! :)
    How many of the times do you think a report actually results into punishment?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. This is what one of those posts I'd like to be able and like twice. I couldn't agree more because I've seen it happening on numerous occasions myself.

And I'd like to share my own - personal - opinion about it: The spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. If you have no idea what I'm saying with this then well.. Then it is possible that this could be a cause of some problems / issues, depending on your own personal role into all this.

Put shortly: sometimes the rules are best served with not (trying to) enforce them. Especially if we're not staff. The major problem, as always with these things, is that you cannot easily regulate this. There are no hard examples for all this.

And another major issue (IMO): If you do warn another player and they chose to continue. How sure are you that it's because they're still unaware about the rules or because they became (slightly) annoyed with you? That's always a very sensitive issue in which case it might be best to leave things as they are and optionally get staff involved.

As said, just my 2 cents.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and FirstJugBurgerz like this.
  11. Recently, about 25% are needing punishment with regards to chat reports. The other 75% are unnecessary.
    (likely more like 15%, but I haven't run numbers =P so I'll estimate high)
    GeistKitsune, Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  12. I've done my fair share of reporting...

I have only used /report three times since of my return. I hope that my reasoning was correct...
    They were because of inappropriate builds, lag timers, and language.

In the [red] I am not sure if those are offences...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I asked Staff about this a while back but didn't get an answer: How many repeated letters is considered spam? The Staff member's response was that it varied.

In the OP, you (krysyy) meantioned maybe 10 repeated characters and called it spam. However, in my opinion it doesn't really spam chat. I see players asking others to watch the spam with 10 extra periods. Doesn't that seem a bit minor to be considered spam?

Obviously, "HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11!1!!!!1!!!!!!!!!" is spam, but I think the Empire could do with a clear explanation on this part.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. Wait, what did I do?:p Better to estimate me, than to underestimate me! :rolleyes:

For everybody, remember not to be rude to each other.
    Lately, I have been seeing players make mountains out of mole hills. This includes being borderline rude to another (usually newer) they see as not ‘conforming’ to rules, then stating blanket statements about ‘breaking the rules’.
    Remember newer players do not always know what is acceptable, or accepted on EMC. If you give them a friendly reminder regarding a rule, check your ego at the door as about half of them will disregard you or take it personally. If you cannot handle a snide remark back, it is best to simply report when actual rules are being broken, than to try to handle it yourself.
    Rather than instigate bad behavior, let’s focus instead on encouraging better behavior.
    And I am not talking just about others, I also mean to take a look in a mirror and ask yourself, are you really helping out? Or will your actions create drama?
    If you are not truly acting to help someone out, then don’t do it.
    Remember that we have tools to use. /ignore [player] if someone truly bothers you.
    Let’s all be better than the rest. We have the capability to do so. Reach for the stars. We all have it in us.
    See yall around.
  15. Idk if it was mentioned, but remember that if you don't remember the rules, use /rules

If you don't know the rules, you probably shouldn't /report someone unless you absolutely know they are doing wrong. You can get in trouble for false reporting.
    crystaldragon13 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  16. If we gave an exact definition of the amount of letters required before it was spam, we'd have players purposefully using just below that line repetitively. This is where your judgement comes in as to what is crossing the line and what is not. It is based off of context, situation, and player relationships. If in doubt, go with your gut, bearing in mind if it should really be punished.
  17. Ever seen Uncle Buck or The Great Outdoors? :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. I know what you mean, I once reported someone because they told me they hate the color blue.
  19. Well done, that's not report system abuse which is punishable with a 2 day ban at all... :rolleyes:
    Equinox_Boss, 607, clan23 and 4 others like this.
  20. Thanks Krysyy :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.