1 Million Blocks Competition

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by OsamaBinLazy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. The reason for people being allowed to enter the nether is so that they can get glowstone for potions. NOT for travelling anywhere else
  2. I only want to see blobs of loaded chunks on the nether live map, not any lines
  3. Ignoramoose can put a signed book in a chest at the one mil mark. Bring it back and !uwin!
  4. 1 word. /map hide
  5. 2 words, but still.
  6. good idea actually, but I want to be able to see people's progress
  7. Great quest :)
    I hope I'll have enough time to participate.

N) isn't it better to allow travel through nether, because you can't reliably check whether someone did it or not?
    Perhaps you can with (M)

O) what about preparations and help from outside? (like someone starts a week earlier to help his team)

A) how about announcing starting point and target location shortly before start?

M) how about requesting from all participants that they /map show
    on smp7 for whole time from start to the finish? If someone is caught not showing on the map
    during the race while being on-line on the server she/he would be disqualified.

T) how about setting a time limit for start and a time limit to complete the quest,
    but count only on-line time, i.e. the winner is who reaches the target location with the lowest played time.
    If it is a team, the team wins if the average (= total played time / number of players) played time is the lowest when compared to other participants and teams.

B) How about staring with a minimum survival kit?

That'll be fun :)
  8. People can use what they want (if they start with something too basic, everyone would die on the way there), but I've already announced the start/finish location. I can tell if someone cheated because there would be a gap in the chunks that are loaded on live map. I will make sure that everyone does /map show, and if they hide they will be disqualified. The total time limit is 6 months, but if the the person/team that gets furthest is a team the money is split (anyway, being in a team might make it a bit harder because you have to wait for everyone to be online)
  9. If all participants have given up, does the last remaining person win or do they have to complete the course anyway?

I think our moderators are trustworthy enough, but they may need to TP away to deal with moderator things then TP back. The possibility should be known so that they are not accused of cheating.
  10. So, let's say you check the live map and see a gap and few generated chunks. No one is around. How can you tell if anyone has cheated or not?

That is a good idea - to get few people to check on a regular basis if any of the participants is logged in on the server, but not showing on the live map.

What about preparations or help from outside?
    People can go there now and place chests with supplies.

As most of the people can't play for like 12 hours a day, but some can - how about counting only on-line time?
    Aikar could easily provide that information.

If they show on the live map all the time during the quest, that should not be a problem.
    Moderators are trustworthy, but if there is a way to check if any has cheated, it should be checked.
    There is one's weaker self in every person. :)
  11. I don't know if it's a rule already, but you should state that Live Map must be enabled so no hiding. This will at least make it a spectator sport.
  12. While I don't disagree with this, I would trust these mods with every rupee and item that I have. Besides the main gain in this event is the fun and enjoyment of the challenge and achievement of going such an absurd distance.
    JackBiggin and margaritte like this.
  13. Yes ... well, I participate in mid-distance sailing regattas. I know most of the teams well. All are wonderful sportsmen and sailors who would risk their lives to save yours. Regatta prize is a title and a shiny cup, no money. You can put your hand in fire that there are no cheaters.

Then, out there on the sea in a cold, stormy night, with no lights and no land to see around ... you know, the things do feel different then.
    Therefore, we never underestimate the ratfink inside each human and we check.
    And we do it to help overcome inner temptations ourselves. :)
  14. Considering we get demoted if we teleport for our own devices, I don't think that we'll have any problems here.
    Dwight5273 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  15. I have to ask, because it seems like an easy way to cheat (if you consider it cheating): Are players allowed to set up chests in advance, and then use them during the competition?
    For example, someone could set up a locked chest or two of potions/food/whatever at the 100k mark before the competition, and then use it once the competition actually begins.
  16. I had mods teleport to me before just to look at my Res :O (not saying any names though unless an admin asks...)
  17. I'll make sure everyone stays in town. This trek is so long anyway that it would be too far away for people to set up items mid-trek, and that the items would actually have a small effect as you would have to go through a whole inventory full of food
  18. I think we should be allowed. TP'ing to coordinates is dangerous. We could end up inside a block :p

:cool:
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  19. Average Minecraft Speed of Sprinting - 20.2 km/hour in FLAT TERRAIN
    1 Million m/20200 m/hour = 49.5 Hours
    Over 2 days in a straight sprint without ANY BREAKS.
    Take in consideration that lack of flat terrain, and the breaks to craft beds, eat food, and IRL things....
    My estimate is 2 months, as who the hell wants to spend over what I presume to be about 120-130 hours traveling...
    HylianNinja likes this.