1.8 Prep Update, Performance and MORE! 8/26/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 1. Working fine for me, what material are you using to smelt?
    2. Really weird but also happening to me, usually it's related to client and/or server lag, but that doesn't seem to be the case
  2. I'm using lava buckets but I just tried a whole bunch of different fuel sources/smeltable items. It appears the animation stops working if the fuel source is fed by a hopper.
  3. Got to love updates!
  4. My dragon egg made copies of itself and now I have like 7... I'm assuming it's a bug

lol just kidding
    TomvanWijnen and jkjkjk182 like this.
  5. Since you no longer own that residence. No, you do not have any say what happens with that road.
    While still owning the residence, you can have it defaulted for free though.
  6. Chest open/sound is known to have issues, and furnace lit icon is POSSIBLE to happen too, so will look into it.

But we did test furnaces with the changes and ensured they still cooked, so the main bugs should be cosmetic/audio as we are seeing.

For anyone technical, here is the change: https://github.com/SpigotMC/Spigot/pull/211
    Chest ticking is cut down 95%, so maybe theres something else that was missed to keep it 'in sync', and furnaces/brewing was cut down by 50%. BUT I swore I thought furnaces was controlled by swapping a state when burning and not requiring constant 'updates' like chests do, so hmm.
  7. For those of us who are interested in Redstone machines, could you elaborate on the Tile Entity changes, Aikar?
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  8. Just randomly got a "blank" working furnace on my res haha

(4266@st for those wondering)
    FDNY21 and cadgamer101 like this.
  9. It shouldn't change redstone mechanics at all - thats why we pulled it out before.

the internals changes the following blocks:

Chests, EnderChest, EnchantingTable: Slow down from 20 updates a second to 1 update a second.

Furnace, Brewing Stand: Slow down from 20 updates a second to 2 updates a second, WITHOUT affecting brewing and cooking speed. Brewing and Cooking go by actual time passed instead of ticks.

Everything else operates on the exact same schedule.

Pistons and all redstone still does 20 per second as always.

The beef of the change comes from the removal of Signs, Noteblocks, Dispensers, Droppers, Jukeboxes, End Portal, Command Blocks, Player/Monster Head Blocks, Comparators and Flower Pots which don't do ANYTHING on a "tick" (most of these act on redstone signals, and have nothing to do on a "tick")
    Pab10S likes this.
  10. I will have to say I am rather angry at the shiny flesh change for outside of pvp. I own the shop right outside of mob arena and one of my biggest selling items is shiny flesh, with its new effects it will drastically change the rates it is bought at. It is next to worthless now. Now I cannot sell it for much at all and practically nobody will buy it. These changes are going to affect my shop drastically and ruin the shiny flesh economy.
  11. While unfortunately yes, it may be a negative for a minority, but that is made up for with its benefit towards overall gameplay for the vast majority :) Aikar couldn't simply remove this (popular) change because shopkeepers won't profit as much from it :p
  12. What I am saying however is that it is completely worthless to me and anyone in mob arena now. It affects that greatly
  13. The goal is to make it require using MORE of them to get a longer duration of the effect, so it should drive demand up more.

Price may go down due to the reduced duration, but the fact it had high price and high demand is a sign of overpoweredness.
  14. Will this eliminate the lag from head museums? I would expect it to improve server load from lots of placed heads, but is the lag from that or from getting the skin info from mojang? (client or server lag?)

Great work in removing tick load! 50% improvement in any area is excellent, even if it's only a fraction of the overall tick. It's also good for those special situations where somebody is using a lot of an item at once. I can imagine that drop parties could see improvement with dispensers and droppers not ticking. Signs ticked? now that had to be wasting a ton of server mojo over the course of weeks and months. All good things.
  15. Signs have 0 code behind them, yet was one of the most lag causing tile entities... just due to sheer # of them.

as for the other things, wont help with client lag at all, nor drop parties.

Chests, furnace and bs was about the only thing that actually 'did something' that we reduced, chests being the primary gain due to having so many.

essentially the problem was that while signs 'did nothing', there was other code that ran 'around' that "nothing" code, and the sheer quantity added up that even nanosecond durations added up to substantial timings.
  16. ehehe, brewing stand :3
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  17. I love looking at those timing reports!

One of my thoughts: Since world spawn locations are always loaded, are the tile entities in those locations also always ticking? (how big is that area in terms of residences?) Wondering how much impact over time a very tile entity heavy spawn plot might have. Only thinking about it because tile entities are such a big part of an average tick. Wouldn't want to see someone building a 100 story cane farm and 30 subfloors of crops on a plot if it is automatically always active.
  18. Who was the silly person to suggest the zombie virus change???? >_<
  19. Great job Aikar! :) I can't wait for name changes!
    BevK56 likes this.