Youtube buys twitch.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by generalfelino015, May 18, 2014.

1. It makes sense, but Google and YouTube have made some very stupid choices, including G+. G+ is fine on its own. I wouldn't care if you could use it as a universal login for Google services. But that isn't the case. Google is forcing G+ into areas that were pure before, such as YouTube. The way they are making G+ practically mandatory on YouTube is making it into a form of G+ Videos now. It is common knowledge that you don't fix something that isn't broken, so why are they constantly downgrading the YouTube experience? Upgrading and optimizing would be fine, but that is not what happens.

I don't like FB in almost every way. But one thing I do like is that, from what I have seen, they offer their FB platform as a universal login, but don't require it in many of the services they own. Google should follow that lead.
    generalfelino015 likes this.
  2. The reason for putting it into Youtube was to phase it in. Microsoft has their Universal Microsoft account that is used for all of their services. Youtube belongs to Google so forcing it in makes sense. They also don't need to worry too much about what users think with Youtube. Name one legitimate competitor to Youtube that you could switch to.
    Youtube and Twitch are different but there is a chance that they will force the G+ account on it. People will be upset but it takes only a minute to migrate your account and then you can continue as normal. If we all lived by the idea of only fixing it when it is broken, where would we be? Many things worked perfectly find but people still made them better. FB owns almost no services other than Whatsapp. How can their narrow scope be compared to Google who has many different aspects in almost all online services?

I see that the main problem is the G+ thing that happened and I feel like that is only a minor problem that takes 5 minutes max to set up.
  3. I'm just going to leave this here...

Vimeo.
    That is why I said that improving things is ok. Google hasn't made any major improvements to YouTube in the last few years. They have just made things more difficult and less consistent.
    Instagram is pretty big from what I have seen.
    I didn't know that even existed. Which is good, because then it isn't that intrusive. G+, on the other hand, is intrusive.
    It is G+ and the many changes to how videos work that has ruined the experience. Their terrible auto-video-resolution systems completely sucks. If you have one internet speed dip, the video is forced into the lowest resolution unless you reload the page, which makes the feature more inconvenient than helpful. The G+ login system is broken too. I am logged in, but they continue you to tell me to sign in anyway to view my notifications or post a comment. Their copyright system is horrible, and they have yet to respond anything but a standard response when someone asks when the abuse of it will be fixed. The content filter system is also broken. Video preloading was removed.

There are many things that Google has ruined on YouTube.
    607 and boozle628 like this.
  4. Lol i remeber that photo
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  5. That is pretty funny
    Vimeo is cool and all but how often do you hear someone say "check out my video on Vimeo? I support an alternative to Youtube but Vimeo has a ways to go.
    I would say that they have improved. Most notably in their mobile apps. The reason they can't make any big changes can be seen easily. Microsoft makes Windows 8 and gets shunned for embracing something different. People become set in their ways and changes become scary. I am not trying to overgeneralize, but there is a large group that would explode on them if they changed or improved too much. Look at the G+ thing. Not too big but half the internet was in rage at them. Once again, it only takes a couple minutes to migrate your account.
    You got me there. I didn't know that.
    that is part of the problem. The average user won't know that they are using something from Facebook. Google wants to connect their services. Not separate them. When you use something from Google, they want you to know it. It is their way of running the company. Some may disagree with this method and others won't.
    Have you used onedrive? How about Windows 8? Do you use office 2013? Ever created a Skype account recently? Created an xbox live account recently?
    All of these services are pushing the Microsoft account. Onedrive, outlook require it. Windows 8 pushes it too. Office 2013 requires it or at least really pushes it. Skype is less obvious and I am not entirely certain about the xbox thing although an xbox live account is linked if you have a microsoft account.
    I would say that they are pushing it more than Google pushes G+.
    These are more legitimate problems I can agree with. These are pretty good reasons to not be happy with the experience Google is providing. All we can do is hope that Google doesn't mess it up with technical glitches. Now I can see your reasoning behind fearing the Google takeover since Youtube was once in the same position. They have evolved so I doubt they will make the same mistakes. Only time will tell.
    generalfelino015 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. Nope, Windows 7, Office 2010, I had Skype about two years ago, and I sold my Xbox lol. So I can see how I missed that haha.
    I don't use Instagram, but if I did, that would be something I like personally. I don't want to feel like I am on a small branch of a huge tree. I want to be on single, personal tree for each different task (I am not sure why I used trees as an example).
    607 and generalfelino015 like this.
  7. Most of the Microsoft stuff will only affect people using their newer things that have gotten some bad press around them.
    I don't use Instagram and I used to use Facebook. I use G+ as a place to get news and less as a place to connect with friends. I can see where you are coming from with the unique trees. I personally enjoy having everything combined into one big tree. Seems simpler and there are some nice benefits such as getting all of the different fruits from the one tree instead of having to care for many different trees to get the fruits. Tree metaphors ftw :p
    jkjkjk182 and generalfelino015 like this.
  8. jkjkjk182, 607 and generalfelino015 like this.
  9. I can basically sum all of this up with 3 words: I hate google
  10. Do not fear, I have not sold out to the beast known as Google.
  11. TTT___HHHSSS

This means that google has more to ruin with google+ ! YAY!
  12. Sorry for the DP D:
    It completely destroyed the youtube comments.... It is so freaking confusing....
  13. Honestly don't see this as such a bad thing...
  14. People just like to overreact to things
  15. My friend got a sponsorship in 4 months of owning a channel and having no videos. Just 100 subscribers. Its obviously not very hard :/
  16. Oh nonononono. Although I can't say I didn't see this coming....this is terrible. I just know that they are going to integrate YouTube and Twitch and the result could be good or bad, because Google has done many great things, which people seem to forget and just focus on the bad things.
  17. The only real long-term mistake Google have made with YouTube, in my eyes, is the 'Youtube One' Channel layout. I much preferred the layout that was there before February 2012, but if it meant getting rid of the Youtube One layout, I would so go for 'Space Panda' layout they had before February 2013.

Also, if they got rid of the terrible Youtube Live-Streaming and integrated Twitch with Youtube (but please, no crappy Google+), as a replacement for their live-streaming service, that would be a good move.