Will there be a wastelands reset before Minecraft 1.20? If so, when?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by We3_MPO, Feb 8, 2023.

1. I'm considering hosting a resource gathering event in mid March to celebrate my 20th birthday IRL, 3000th day in-game (on my other account) and the middle of spring, all of which are within 8 days of one another. Nonetheless, I don't want to do this if a sudden change in location is going to disrupt it on short notice.
  2. We3_MPO likes this.
  3. I stand by that comment about the next waste reset.

I really have no clue what Mojang's schedule for 1.20 is going to be. Seems like they are dragging their feet on actually announcing what their final feature set for that update will include. (I understand that actually finishing it takes time as well).
    FadedMartian and We3_MPO like this.
  4. I understand and I am not expecting a change of plans now, still, would be nice for next time to have a slightly different approach.

The last reset was at the end of June, and with no 1.20 announcement in sight, it could be very well a full year between resets.

Considering that originally the schedule was (supposed to be?) every 3 months, then "Mojang is doing updates every 6, let's follow that schedule", and now we're here, 8 months from the last reset, with no reset in clear sight.

Would a "if after 5/6 months there's no new update release date announcement, we'll reset" be an acceptable strategy for you?
    Nickblockmaster and We3_MPO like this.
  5. I know. :( I am annoyed by the situation.

Edit: I should clarify, that it is SUPER easy to do waste resets. The only issue is giving the proper warning to the community ahead of time.

I wish it was easier to communicate certain SMPs needing waste resets, so there could be a rotation. But that is... difficult
  6. A question. What particular resource do you feel is depleted enough in all Wastes that requires a waste reset?
    I am just asking as maybe that issue could be improved for the next reset to help alleviate the issue.
  7. on my end, it's the exploration.
    There's only a finite amount of structures around the wastes, and it feels like some have all been raided.

Treasure chests show up empty, and there's no way to know if/when one can hope to find something in them, so getting back to it later does not make too much sense.

I would expect this will be even worse in 1.20, with some armor patterns found only in chests that exist in very small numbers (anyone said Jungle temples?).

Sure, lots of people tend to stay near the outposts, so the area near the world border is not as depleted, but with more and more months of no reset, such "low depletion" areas start to languish.

Maybe allowing the chests to reset more often could help, but in certain cases it won't be enough (see the armor pattern that will drop only from elder guardians).

Short of a full waste reset, I am not sure what to suggest, sorry.

EDIT:
    I'd like to add that the above refers to the overworld.
    The nether is less affected by this, given its intrinsic difficulty.
    I'm not going to the end much, but I understand that it is a sort of in-between, part because there's only so many cities that spawn, and there's always someone interested in getting a few elytras.
  8. For me, none, at least on SMP6. There are still vast areas of virtually untouched terrain on SMP6, and my footprint there on the live map seems to dwarf that of anyone else. I've also never encountered another person's mines nor already-mined-out ore deposits in the overworld, and even in the nether only a couple times near spawn (which is more understandable, with netherite being so hard to find and useful).
  9. I think you're good to go ahead with your event We3! I hope you and the other participants have fun! :D

If 1.20 comes out beforehand, then it'll make your event double special! 👀
    Nickblockmaster and We3_MPO like this.
  10. It just really depends on your style of play on whether or not you think the wastelands need a reset. For me, it's hard to cover all of the wastelands nether with TNT to find the debris, in one mining trip I can blast through about 5, maybe 7 different biomes. For those explorers at the overworld it's easy to run out of space because they cover a lot more area.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  11. Perhaps to alleviate this, chests could be made to refill once for each player that opens them. That won't help with the elder guardian drops though.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  12. the chest already refill once per player. The issue is that there is a time delay of unknown random length between resets.

The reason for the delay is clear, avoiding a person with an army of alts to go and get the loot of X chests in a very short amount of time and no extra effort.

The issue would not exists if alts would not be permitted, but I think I understand that alts need to be allowed as per Mojang rules (that's the way they make money), so this leaves us with this delayed chest reset.

Maybe shortening the timer could be evaluated?
    Or I don't know if the timer is based on a timestamp or the amount of time a certain chunk is loaded, maybe moving to a time stamp would be good it it is not already the case.