Why don't we have the /me command in-game?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Hi gang,

This is not necessarily a suggestion but... it is a comment.

Why not?

Why can't I do: /me pats /calc 60*64?

Risk of spam? I kinda doubt that. It seems odd to me...

/me says goodbye

what's so spammy about that?
    TomvanWijnen and ILTG like this.
  2. Who knows. Add it in.
  3. Honestly, I don't even know. it was blocked by Justin in the early days. Probably because he didn't want to spend time reformatting into empire style chat, which will likely be the continued case.

unless the only thing we make it do is auto prefix with a * and make text italic
    ShelLuser, TomvanWijnen, ILTG and 2 others like this.
  4. Haha, an interesting question and an interesting response.
    It's been blocked since way before my time, and I've never minded it, to be honest.
  5. I haven't thought about using it on the server, but it wouldn't hurt to make it usable.
  6. though it does create an issue in consistency in our chat

right now, chat is "just type in the box", and it uses default channel. Typing chat by commands you specify the channel.

I guess /me could default to current channel then do like /me @T to send to Town even when not focused on Town. But that kind of logic is ultimately why it's trickier.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  7. First off, thanks for responding!

As said, it's not necessarily a suggestion because I can come up with issues why this isn't such a great idea, but I was just wondering.

Indeed. I could imagine it would simply use the default (currently selected) channel and leave it at that. This allows players to differentiate themselves between t, e, g and so on.

As said: not necessarily a suggestion and I'm sure you guys got much better things to do. But... I simply wondered ;)
    607 likes this.