What do you think on Same-sex couples?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gibabyte, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i do get this thread actually.

the poster finds himself in a situation he did not expect. he finds love in a place he did not think he would. and i believe the poster is trying .. the same way i did, to understand his new found place in life. and that's why he starts this thread. to ask his community what they think of his choice..

but my comment on that is. it's not the community's to say.. if the poster is happy. thats pretty much that matters, not what people on the internet think.

and ofc it's getting generic, we are in a stage in life all of us, that gay is okay. (which "was not" 20 years ago) trans, is getting normal. we have a LGBT community, this was not when i was a child. and if we had the internet we have today back when black people were considered slaves and lesser, we would be having the same types of threads.

"what you think of this new trend that we letting black people vote" imagine the internet chaos that would be around had we had this internet back in the day when humans with a dark skin were trying to show their worth in life...

just now we have humans, trying to show their worth in life.. but it's harder to point them out.. cause their whole "difference" is in their feels.

this is just a measure for people to understand the changes that are coming on in their lives.

i feel, that a discussion like this should be held, not closed or covered (unless it starts to get extremely personal and angry and offending) i believe that the more you know, the better you are at swimming thru life
    Scarmanzer and Chizmaro like this.
  2. I'm glad finch started this all. I don't agree with finch and think that sexualizing emc is ridiculous. No matter what your preference it has little if any relevance to EMC. as needsfoodbadly pointed out when I created the thread I did, I have already explained this much in previous threads. The whole reason I started that thread was to show that finches way of seeing the world wasn't the only way since whenever questions were asked(only ones she didn't like) people would be attacked for not agreeing. Their is a lot of hatred, bigotry and self entitled bias on both sides of this argument and is readily prevalant in the US. Other places I hope don't have the same problem. This topic might be suitable for conversations elsewhere but on emc its a powder keg just as a religious or political debate would be. Especially since both aspects get dragged into it without fail. Marriage is political. Its supposed to be religious. See what I mean?
    ShelLuser, JesusPower2 and Dramanya like this.
  3. Excellent post. This is a problem from BOTH sides. I was born in the early 1970's and the hyperbole in the United States right now surrounding identity politics is as bad as it has ever been at any point during my lifetime.

Unfortunately, we are most definitely not alone. In Syria, ISIS is throwing gay men to their deaths from rooftops and in a great many other places a person can be jailed and subject to bodily harm for simply being homosexual. On the other hand, in some western nations an individual can face criminal prosecution, imprisonment, and sanction from tribunals for speaking out in adherence to the tenets of their faith.

There has to be a better way. I wish I knew what it was. One thing I do know though is that casually throwing around terms like "bigot" or "sinner" is only going to harden hearts and make the present polarization much worse.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  4. I would offer the same advice I'd offer any young teen: Think carefully about the person you want to be. Become that person. The choices you make during these next few years will stay with you forever but your opinion of them may change as you get older. Choose wisely. What is done cannot be undone (it can only be forgiven).

You have good points and I agree with them. For this thread...when someone who feels vulnerable asks, "what do you think," they often just want support. They're just asking for it in a roundabout manner. Since Boozle is very young and still finding himself I would be tread softly.

Sure, religion. We can attain the greatest possible joy, love, peace, through closeness with God. So in short, I like to support things that lead to a closeness with God.
    DH32, Boozle_ and Dramanya like this.
  5. Not true. Human sexuality is a very odd thing.
    I I must...

I identify as asexual. I'm not sexually attracted to anyone. But I am also biromantic, which means I am romantically attracted to both genders.
    =P it's a little weird.

And specifically to Chizmaro... I am not trying to change people with this thread. =3
    I just want to see what common people of similar interests to me are :p
    SoulPunisher, deathconn and Agennt like this.
  6. I think that love can be between any two people, as long as both feel it for each other, I'd say it's love and I don't think that there's anything wrong with it :) If your views prevent you from thinking this then just remember that your belief only affects you and isn't to affect anyone else, so don't press your views on other people and force them apart...
    SoulPunisher, kaptrix and Agennt like this.
  7. I don't like tomatoes on my hamburger, so no one in Kansas gets tomatoes. I don't care if you would pay less in taxes, be able to get a better mortgage, or simplify the process for adopting children.

NO TOMATOES!
  8. Good, tomatoes are the devil! That's what momma said.
  9. Everyone deserves equal rights. Same-sex marriage is against many religion but that doesn't mean that those who are homosexual should be denied rights. They are humans too.
    SoulPunisher and Galantisizer like this.
  10. That is exactly what I mean, which is why I posted it...
    In the Bible, the recording of historical acts is not approval of actions by God. The Bible is filled with stories of people who mess up (Hence we need Christ-That's the underlying message of the Bible ;)). And the Old Testament is filled with stories about a nation, which was chosen by God, that constantly messes up. This is our hope. That God will always be by us even though we are hopelessly abysmal at following His guidelines for living.
    I did some research on slavery before writing this post-It's seemingly existed since the creation of mankind. Most of slavery was abolished in 1948 and the UN Declaration of Human Rights which banned global slavery. Since 2007 it is now illegal in all countries, but still occurs in practice (Says Wikipedia). It seems that slavery of one form or another (like abuses and the domination of women) has occurred since, well, always.
    While God could've banned slavery, it seems that He works within our fallen systems and societies, putting limits and guidelines in place. He makes allowances for the freedom and failures of mankind within our corrupt systems. He allowed slavery, an invention of sinful men, to exist. As he allows war. As he allows fighting between people. As he allows free will. It doesn’t mean He approves of all our choices and inventions and societal structures.
    Ex 21:2-6. The Hebrew slave would serve 6 years and then be let free. They could also choose to stay, as a bondservant (lifelong). Keep in mind, there was no welfare, no government to protect them if they walked away. Becoming a bondservant could ultimately save their lives. If they were indebted to each other (within the nation of Israel) they could work off their debt in the form of this slavery. There wasn't a loan shark there to offer them another way out. This is a “when” situation, that God allows, but doesn’t make up Himself.
    Lev 25:44-46. “You may buy slaves”… Again, you “MAY”. God wasn't commanding people to buy slaves, rather he was allowing them to take part in something that was integral to their society and economy.
    Ex 21:20. This is the one about When a man hits his slave and the slave is not seriously harmed, he is not to be avenged as he is his money/property. The verses before this is about when men fight and strike each other with a rock or fist. If the man is injured, the perpetrator must have him healed and pay for loss of time, but if he recovers he doesn't have to pay the man for his loss of time. Basically, the rules of fighting have the same rules slave vs freeman. Obviously, it would be better not to hit someone in the first place. Note that if the free man OR slave dies, then he is to be charged for the death. What does that look like? A little further Ex 21:23, Life for life. The slave’s life is worth just as much as the owner's. (and unique to Israel as a nation in Ex 21:21-25 is that the fetus is awarded full human rights as well, but we best not open that can of worms). Note as well that in Ex 21:26 that when a man causes an eye or tooth of a slave to be lost, the slave can go free. All these are "When" statements, acknowledging that it would occur, but not condoning it.
    Deut 20:10-15, Deut 21:10-14, Numbers 31. The "Plunder". While civilizations on this time (and even not-so-ancient-civilizations) regularly warred and plundered each other, this is not generally approved by God. There is that one little exception, and this is regarding the one sliver of land on His planet that God has staked for Himself, for His people. The land that He promised to Patriarchs and their descendants (quite possibly the location of the original garden of Eden).
    As far as the actual war process, plundering, or servitude in exchange for peace, I'd gues was pretty par, if not good for the standards thousands of years ago. God does command complete destruction of the people in the land God promised as Abraham’s inheritance, “so that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices that they have done for their gods” (child sacrifice was a common practice). Why so harsh? God’s promise to save humanity rested on the purity of a bloodline to the Savior. That was many hundreds of years to go. The nation of Israel had to be kept pure, or God’s prophecies could not be fulfilled. If that was to happen, we'd all be guaranteed our spot in hell. The battle for the promised land is certainly (In my opinion) in the supernatural realm, and even though unseen, it spills out onto our world and in our history.
    And what happens to the “plunder”?
    A not much later, Ex 22:22 “You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry, and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword.” This is a direct command from God. The “plunder” will be cared for.
    In Lev 19:18, God commands “you shall love your neighbor as yourself”. (same as in the New Testament). There's another direct command - you SHALL. I would think this applies to slaves and free, and represents how God has always wanted us to treat each other.
    I'm sorry if this offended you, it wasn't meant to. But I felt it was called for. I think that misquoted scripture should be well explained to those who are curious about it, or are discouraged to search for Christ by people taking the Bible out of context to attack Christian beliefs...
    Gawadrolt, LuckyPat and JesusPower2 like this.
  11. I WOULD LIKE TO NOTIFY
    No where in the new testament does it say Jesus doesn't approve of Same sex marriages if any of you say that it is a COMPLETE LIE. you cannot bring christianity into this because it is now FOR SAME sex marriage got it!
  12. No one said anything about Jesus' opinions on same sex marriage. The thread is "What do you think", and we can bring Christianity into it by saying "I don't approve of it because of my religion" according to the OP.
  13. Sure, but marriage is defined for what it is, not for what it is not, several times by both Jesus and more prominently in the letters from St. Paul in the New Testament.
    IMO, quoting from those two sources from the Bible is better than quoting from Leviticus when someone gives a religious reason to oppose same-sex marriage.
    Therefore, it is still valid to use religion as a personal reason to disagree, wherein a democratic system a single view, no matter its basis, will impact the resultant vote in some way though minor.

==============================================================================

Now as for my opinion on the matter: I don't really care. It doesn't affect me personally and the inclusion of marriage rights for same-sex was seemingly inevitable. I'm Catholic and all but I understand others don't follow my beliefs and therefore act upon a different will. In saying this, I only have room to advocate my view by vote. I, otherwise, have no room to judge.
    Gawadrolt, JesusPower2 and DH32 like this.
  14. You say the Bible doesn't "condone" slavery and you even apologize for God by saying, "He works within our fallen systems and societies, putting limits and guidelines in place", but golly, it's incredible how many rules and guidelines there are in the Bible for the practice of slavery when it doesn't "condone" it. Here are just a few snippets you "may" have forgotten like guidelines on how much you can beat your slaves and so on.

"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished, but if the slave gets up after a day or two, he shall not be punished for the slave is his property."

What's even more ironic, is that this law was given by God, after the Israelites enslavement by the Egyptians.

Also, while Hebrew slaves could be freed after six years of service, if they had a wife and child while they were a slave the wife and children remained property of the master so the slave had two options, remain a slave or abandon his family.

This only pertains to male slaves though. The Bible has a specific passage for how to deal with selling your own daughter and simply prefaces that statement with "if." or "when": "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are."

The Bible specifies where to buy your slaves:
    "Both thy bondmen (slaves), and they bondmaids (again, slaves), which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you, of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids."

Not specific enough?
    "And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the Lord for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors."

Also:
    "When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive..." This passage goes on to say you can take a captive as your wife but if you get tired of having sex with her, you must release her instead of selling her as a slave.

It's not just Old Testament either. The New Testament even commands slaves to "obey their masters." That also includes Christian slaves.

Which brings me back to my original point, that the Bible isn't generally a great source for discussion on human rights. Although, I think Jesus' preaching of love, acceptance and forgiveness is great but gosh, people don't seem to like to bring that up in too many discussions and for some odd reason they'd rather just quote the Old Testament.
    SoulPunisher, kaptrix and Gawadrolt like this.
  15. The Bible also claims that you must stone people to death. Are you going to stone a gay person/couple? I hope not. (I think that the Bible is very good, but a good amount of things have been "outdated", for a lack of better terms.

It matters not how many of these threads are created, it only matters that the message is gotten across.

My Opinion: Transgenders, gay couples, people who are considered abnormal by many are all human beings. For those of you whose religion dislikes them, does your religion not say "Do not discriminate"? Or maybe it says to... Either way, it's called human rights. A man and a man are allowed to be together and get married. Same with women. A person can legally change their gender. Then get married. A person can legally do these things, and people still hate.

I am not saying that this is as severe as racism and segregation, but it is similar.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  16. I will not be responding to NeedFoodBadly's response until tomorrow, as I'm much too tired to write another long response today.
    You guys are continually taking verses from the Bible out of context. I could find some verses, isolate them, remove all context and claim that Christians are sexist homophobes who believe in the killing of others because of their ethnicity. This isn't correct, quite clearly... As Christians we are called to love everyone as our neighbors, and I personally try my best to do so. I do not hate, judge or dislike people with differing sexual preferences than mine. Although I do consider it to be a sin, it's no different than pride or envy. We're all sinful beings. Also, I haven't seen anyone claim that "They shouldn't be allowed to get married" on EMC... Are you referring to other things?
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  17. You consider it a sin. How is that not judgment?
    SoulPunisher and Spiritress like this.
  18. I was referring to the fact that I'm not judging them as people. I'm not putting them into stereotypes, or drawing conclusions about them. I personally wouldn't consider it judgement because I view every human being as a sinner...
  19. And I view every human as human.
  20. I never said that Christians were not loving people. I just said that a lot of them dislike certain things and people because of their Christianity.

Obviously many people think it is worse than pride or envy. Has someone been murdered for being prideful for their grades at school, or having a great kid? Has someone been murdered for being envious of the said imaginary people? Nope, not that I know of. However, there have been 15-18 transgenders murdered in 2015 alone. I am not saying that the murderers were Christians, although some of them could have been. They are just sick people, that is all.

No, I was not implying that anyone on EMC was saying that people of said orientation cannot become married, I was merely stating a fact.

Yes, all human beings are sinful creatures. It is just a matter of "To me, this is okay, but to them, it isn't". You have to ask yourself, as my old language teacher asked us time after time, "What is good?" -"Something morally right," we'd reply. "What is morally right?" -"Something that people think are good...?"

That brings you back to the first question.

Now, I like people for who they are, and though it may be a sin to many people, it was their choice to do as they did (or will do.) If a same-sex couple wants to get married, so be it, that is up to them. I will not call it a fault, but I will say it is different.

I will probably not go into depth for any other posts/replies, because I do not want to start another flamewar.

-G

Edit: Normal Talk - How are you, DH32? Have not seen you since you changed your name, as I was not aware it was you.
    SoulPunisher, DH32 and Gawadrolt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.