We need more (good) mods

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Herbrin3, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /who (Server Name) Works for your purposes at the moment
  2. Unfortunately this does not always happen. In fact while I was on smp2 yesterday, people were quite happy and willing to break chat commandments right in front of me. One of them then proceeding to call me names for kicking them after a warning.
    nerone94, ISMOOCH and battmeghs like this.
  3. lol I think everyone's still reading my post. sorry about the length people!

EDIT: I was a bit late on this :p still, sorry about the length
    battmeghs likes this.
  4. it was PERFECTLY said.
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  5. Right, and that's what I do, but going /who smp1 /who smp2 /who smp3 /who smp4 /who smp5 /who smp6 /who smp7 before finding a moderator is a bit... much, especially if you're trying to have a conversation or watch chat at the same time. Also, I've made a post about this before, and I do realize that I'm being really lazy not wanting to type "/who ..." 10 times, but 1, it's a bit more involved than that (not much though), and 2, yes I'm lazy! I know... that's why I stay here playing MC rather than moving large blocks of stone and dirt around in the real world... cuz.. you know... i totally could...
  6. no joke. seriously, two weeks ago i was putting in my garden in my back yard... digging everything up and all sorts of gardening stuff, killing weeds... i told my friend just how easy it would be to punch a tree, craft a table, make a hoe... and BAM.... done. nooooooo instead it took me 8 hours to get my garden weed free. LOL

if life were only minecraft <3
  7. There's a delicate balance here. Too few mods, and there's people running around breaking rules and stuff willy-nilly. If you start trying to recruit too many, then you will likely end up getting over-eager and bringing in mods without properly checking their qualifications. Yes, things can get out of hand. Yes, there is not a mod on each server 24/7. But I can assure you that there will be someone in square, hanging out, waiting for a report to come in. And when it does, I bet they'll do the best they can to deal with the situation ASAP. All our mods are highly qualified. Sure, some are on more, some have different specialties, but before you start begging for more, remember the /report command. And think of how lucky we are that we have the mature staff we do. Ones who aren't banning people because they're bored, and 'banhammers make me giddy'.
    Yukon1200 and NurseKilljoy like this.
  8. I was there :)
  9. Fish in a barrel.
    Yukon1200 likes this.
  10. $7/hour is normal? Man... I make about five times as much as that. Well, I'm actually not paid by the hour in my job, but it translates to roughly $35/hour.
  11. I roughly make $5.31/hr... xD
    nerone94 likes this.
  12. I strongly believe that presence is the best form of deterrence, but then NKJ has said that it doesn't work and people still break the rules in front of her.

We do need something other than /report though, as it's too specific a feature. Sometimes people just need a Moderator for assistance. It's not just about dealing with miscreants, but providing an interface from the organisation running the show to the paying or non-paying customers.

Of course, with that will come a lot of nonsense requests for assistance, and it might increase a Moderators workload, but a system I imagine in my head, which may or may not work is this:

/report for alerting Mods to idiots and

/assistance if you need help with something, or need to speak to a Moderator about an issue.

/assistance goes through the same system as Report, but if it's a nonsensical request for /assistance, then any Moderator can use some form of Server /tell from within Square to send a default message of:
    "Your request for assistance is outwith Moderator abilities / not appropriate. Please take your request to the Forums. Thank you."

For example, I'm trying to find the source of the lag on Utopia. Has someone let a grinder build up to stupid numbers that's sucking the system resources? I can't contact a Moderator unless I come onto a Forum, and then if there are no Moderators listed as online, who do I contact where I can reasonably expect a response? (Don't focus on the exact situation, it's just used as an example)
  13. Had a huge discussion a few weeks about this.

Here (In Denmark) i would make more a month going to school, then you would with a part time job in the US.
    Its amazing how the minimum salary is like 7$ something (outside the army) who the hell would want to work for that amount of money?

Thats 5% of the normal price i would go by doing B2B consulting.. (before tax etc. ofc)
  14. The UK minimum wage of £6.08ph equates to $9.82ph.

Although the US is generally cheaper than the UK, or at least, that's my perception. Especially when you take things like fuel rates into account.

Also, the British Army is damn good pay once you've done a few years. The rates aren't hidden, they're a public document on the internet, so including allowances for travel I earn in the region of £34k a year after just over seven years service, or $55k, and that's in the UK, not to mention other allowances or bonuses that get added once you go overseas. :D
  15. I suggested to R0bbie that each moderator be assigned a home server that they are largelt responsible for.
  16. the army pay at glance looks fine. But its the hours that go into it, vs. yearly salary. I make roughly 1785USD every 2 weeks (after taxes) but, I am on call 24 hours a day, and am gurantteed to work 4 16 hour days not counting any extra days I may have to work. Also, while most occupations in the military get holidays off.. I do not.
    hayleycolgan and AlexChance like this.
  17. This has already happened, I'm sure of it.
    EdmundWayne and hayleycolgan like this.
  18. The minimum wage in New Zealand is $13 now I believe.. I get paid %16.70p/h :) It's pretty decent, but definitely not the best considering I've been working there for 4 years and my friend just started a new job and already gets paid over $18.80p/h.
  19. On an average week of Barrack Duty, with no training exercises or preparations for equipment inspections or other random crap they've decided to throw at us, I'll work less than 15hrs a week.
    Morning P.T is a given, that takes up an hour and a half, then some paperwork or admin, say another hour tops. You always get weekends off unless it's your turn for Barrack Guard. So the most common thing I'll find myself saying is:

"Right lads, nothing on today, back to your rooms to practice Section level contact drills (or MW3 as it's known)."

Of course, when you do go away then it's balls to the wall 24/7 for seven months. So they get their monies worth out of you!
    EdmundWayne and ISMOOCH like this.
  20. when american soldiers get deployed we get heaps more money for being overseas.. I made about 30% more than i do now just being in South Korea and that wasnt even a hostile environment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.