We need more (good) mods

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Herbrin3, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Those are perfect Bob. Thank you.
  2. Maybe Square could be programmed to only accept more reports for people who have a history of only making correct reports that are necessary. There should be (if there isn't already) a way for staff to mark reports as necessary, unnecessary, and abusive. With a database of the marked reports, Square could determine which players are allowed to send multiple reports within a specified time period. This would probably take quite a bit of coding though but Justin can probably do it.

EDIT: Margaritte beat me to posting but this is more detailed in how the system would work
    battmeghs likes this.
  3. You got in here before I got to write my two cents. >.> I had it all typed out and then my internet died when I tried to post it. That's prompt moderation if I do say so myself.

I will post what I was going to say anyway..

The EMC staff do a great job. They can't be in every place at once, but they do the best they can and that is why we have such a great (and large) community. You can tell they must be doing something right as we have over 30,000 members and they are so many people still playing here from the early days. EMC will be reaching one year old soon (I'm not sure of the exact date) and is still growing and staying strong. Justin has implemented so many great features to keep the servers enjoyable, and one of them is /report. I will say it doesn't work every time and some trouble makers slip through the cracks, but it's your best option when there is some chaos going on. Give the moderators a bit of time to deal with the person/people. That being said, if you feel that the person/people are getting out of control and need to be dealt with quickly you can type /who [server name] (e.g. /who smp2) and see what staff are on each server, go to them and private message them asking them for assistance on the server you came from.

I believe the reason smp9 (and smp8 for that matter) are a little crazy is because they are the newer servers. Most of the moderators have residences on smp1-7 and/or Utopia and have settled into this area, and this is where they do the majority of their moderating. They do have square, but as they aren't always on square and not everyone knows how/when to report someone some trouble makers slip through the system. Most get caught eventually though, so that's fine. Now that the moderators are moving around a bit, and not all situated on a couple of servers this will hopefully bring them into line. I've noticed that since I've moved onto smp8 it has gone from a warzone to a reasonable place, and I don't feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of immature kids anymore (I'm not a moderator obviously, but I don't let rule breakers get past me :p). There will always be a bit more trouble on the newest servers that have the majority of new members, but hopefully it will all settle down in time.
  4. That player that left was me but i have to say herb your doing an excellent job with this :) its making a difference and i think i will come back soon.
    Herbrin3 likes this.
  5. Hey no problem when you need GIFs you know who you gonna call.
    gblogogz1.gif
    HylianNinja, Yukon1200 and battmeghs like this.
  6. Maybe there should be a way to make it a little easier to find a moderator online. A command like /staff should show which staff members are online and what server each of them are on. This would just be a shortcut to save time if you need a moderator quickly.
  7. is also an amazing idea!
    BobTheTomato9798 and mtp1997 like this.
  8. Can I also just remind people that the more people who report a player for something, the easier it is for us to see on square that the player is being a particularly bad problem. We can only moderate from square as good as you can /report from in game.
  9. This makes me want to apply for mod, then again I can only be on EMC for 8 hours a day... :p
    IcecreamCow and battmeghs like this.
  10. 66.gif
    PandasEatRamen and roblikescake like this.
  11. i am on EMC 18-20 hours a day.. :)
    matthew12hydro and roblikescake like this.
  12. I will have to talk with ICC before taking this into consideration. As my home is and always will be SMP1, that's where I've seen the most chat problems. I will consider becoming a mod, but being on EMC for under a month may impact the qualifications I have.
  13. No job/school eh? :p
  14. considering i am 21 years old and have already gone threw college :p i don't need anymore schooling for now, unless i'd like to do something else, and i have a heart condition that severely limits my phycial activity.... i can't have a job. :(
    roblikescake likes this.
  15. The time you have been a member of EMC is part of the qualifications for becoming a mod but probably not the most important. IMO the most important qualification is maturity. If you have maturity you won't ban/kick people for no reason and you can handle situations well whether you are prepared for them or not.
    roblikescake and battmeghs like this.
  16. As said in the Mod Application Forum Post. Asking or mentioning to a mod that you applied for a positions does not help and my even have detrimental effects on your chance of becoming a staff member for EMC.
  17. Awh:( if i were you id get a job as a telecom person and do customer support from home. :3

17 and in highschool for me.
    I only said I was considering it, not actually stating that i did or will. Nothing wrong with that. :)
  18. well i am a professional photographer, my camera(s) are more expensive than half the things i own. lol so i make money in a lot of ways, but not like a normal person getting 7$ or more an hour. but oh well. not much i can do there.
  19. I've mentioned this on threads a few times before. The only problem with this is that during busy times lots of people would switch servers and start going "[Mod], why haven't you dealt with the problem yet?!?!?", when the moderator in question could very well be busy dealing with another problem. That said, I'd love a /staff or something similar so that I don't have to /who smp1-9 every time I want to talk to one.

Also, though EMC moderators do an amazing job, and are indeed a good part of the reason EMC has been and continues to be so successful, the people that have been highlighting a need for more moderators have a point. I've only been online on the smp's a few times in the past week because of my exams, but most times there haven't consistently been more than one or two moderators online, and I've noticed an increase in the number of spam/annoying messages in chat over the past few weeks.

This isn't to say the moderators aren't doing a great job with the /reports they get. The problem, I think, is that there are more smp's, and more players (though I would say the average number of moderators online has plateaued somewhat since I've been here as well). So, a solution:

Imagine you're driving down a road doing a comfortable 15 mph (24 km/h for most of the world) above the speed limit. You see a police car parked by the side of the road. What do you do? You instantly slow down. Does it matter if there's an officer inside the car? Not really. The car is enough to make you a bit more careful.

Similarly, I would think that the number of people abusing chat in some way would decrease significantly if the moderators were more present online. Whether or not one or two moderators can handle all 10 servers is a different question (I believe they can), but with three or four present (even just commenting in chat every 5-10 mins, and even if a half are generally afk), less people will abuse chat, less /reports will be made, and it will be less work for the moderators online, and more pleasant for everybody.

I hope that made sense :)
  20. This post was not just taking a slice of problems and biting into the solutions, it was a fully made cake of problem, layered with solution icing.

^-- because i like cake, even if it makes no sense.
    battmeghs and JabrZer0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.