Voter's Elytra

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by MoldyFiletMignon, Dec 26, 2017.

1. There are certain items I always take with me when I am out exploring: armor, tools, weapons, food and other supplies, an Elytra, and Ender Chest with Silk Touch pick. It seems odd, but I feel like I need a Voter's Elytra to "complete" my set. I'd like to see one added even if it is not something I would find useful every day(although that wouldn't hurt either).

Elytra don't break, but stop working once they reach 1 durability. Would it be possible to limit their use by disallowing Mending or Anvil repair and instead make them recharge once a day something like how a pot of gold, Blizz Ard's Nose, or haunted candy, etc. recharge their uses and to set their durability or Unbreaking enchantment to make them useful but not overly so?

I think using Rockets with them is part of the fun. I am not sure whether using them affects durability by increasing or decreasing the number of minutes or distance you can glide. It seems that rather than adding complexity by disabling their use with the item, the Elytra's durability would do it inherently.

Wiki says an Elytra with no enchantments will glide for a little more than 7 minutes. I would think a Soulbound Elytra with maybe 15-ish minutes of use per day might be plenty to goof around in Town with, to go to a spot in the Waste to mine and back, or to go part of the way to an Outpost, for example, but not so much that it would supplant the need for normal Elytra since we couldn't rely on it to take us longer distances.
  2. Mindreader :p

But yeah, that should definitely be doable from a technical point of view, and I think that this wouldn't make the whole thing too OP. The Elytra can break, but you still can't lose it.

So the con would basically be the lack of Unbreaking and such, while the pro is the soulbound and once per day revival aspect.

I'd be in favor of that one :)
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  3. I was thinking while doing chores earlier of another variation where the Voter's Elytra could have a minimal Durability which recharges regularly, but waiting extra time or trading in Tokens temporarily gives it extra Durability, something like food saturation does. You could maybe go four times the distance to your Outpost, but then you'll need to wait another four or more days or trade in some Tokens if you want to use it the same way coming back.
    mjnoe70 and q1zx like this.
  4. As voters, I think they should be unbreakable, which means mending and unbreaking iii not needed. I believe both Shell and Pab had more simliar thoughts to what I had...

as I note below, maybe adding a protection of some sort would make them a bit more usable as armor that doesn't need changed all the time too.

I think if they still lost durability and no longer worked at end of durability, it would be fine to allow rocket use. The idea they are not anvil repairable and no mending, means they would need a power built in that repaired them when used with say a 12 or 24 hour cool down.

I don't mind the non-rocket option either, its not a bad set up. However, if that is the case can something like protection V be added so that it serves as a usable piece of armor also?
    Pab10S likes this.
  5. At first I thought I liked this idea, but then I thought: "These are delicate wings! What would happen to the ceremony of switching back and forth between armor and my precious Elytra?". The suspense and strategy of remembering to switch out and place them lovingly in an Enderchest before taking risks would be gone.

I feel the similarly about the Enderchest and Silk Touch pick I carry. A lot of what I do revolves around keeping them safe in order to preserve access to what the chest contains. Although I've thought I'd like to have them be part of the Voter rewards, I can't think of a way to do it without removing the element of risk I enjoy by using them.

Another variation on Voter's Elytra I've thought of would be Soulbound but with a delayed return. If they normally would have been destroyed by falling into lava or the Void, they are Mailed to you and you have to wait until you are back in Town to have access to them again or maybe they could be Cursed in a way that makes them unusable for a while. Possibly an EChest and Silk Pick could be done that way also.

Since Staff replaces "lost" Voter's items rather than just telling people where they are at, I suspect that the destruction of an item or its location is information a programmer doesn't have (easy/inherent)access to so I've not brought it up before. I think this is the sort of thing we need to keep in mind though in order to talk Staff into letting us have items like these.
    q1zx likes this.
  6. First, I'm ok without the protection enchant, just an idea and one that if you can't use rockets, like normal elytra, I think is a trade off. However, I like the "delicate wings" and that makes sense. In the end, I just feel somehow they need to have voter style longevity without be overpowered. Making them be recharged on a timer or taking away rockets gives you that either way.

As for voters rewards, only 1 time I believe. They do not replace again I do not think and if you managed to find "said lost voters items" you need to notify them not have duplicates.
    Pab10S likes this.
  7. I decided to leave that detail out when I brought it up to avoid distracting from the point I was trying to make: that it supports my assumption that they either have no idea what happens to items or it would be too much cost in time, server resources, or hassle factor to keep track of them so they simply do not bother to. Also, the Prot on the armor if it were used should probably be less than 3 to seem appropriate to me since the Voter's chest has Prot 3 on it. Like you though I want to have cool and unique Voter's items and are tossing around ideas and hoping some are found acceptable.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  8. Sign me up! :D
    NOTE: this could be like a 400th voter day reward. Making it quite a jump from the last awards... ...which I wouldn't hit the this yet so it's not like I'm trying to set them up for me.
  9. Reviving a (semi) old thread. Perhaps fireworks could instantly reduce the amount of time you could fly per day by 5-30 seconds? 10-15 minute flight per day could be pretty cool

EDIT- This would be VERY easy for me to create in a single player world. I’m considering it. “Voters” Elytra is gonna be made.
    UltiPig likes this.
  10. The OP really just needs to take this stuff and find what they like best and suggest it here: http://emc.gs/suggestpromo

Then staff can review it and determine whether it is doable and worth making new reward, especially as a voters item. I would likely include "which" voting day it should be with to but that is just me, like 400 or something.
  11. I've had so many ideas to help out with this but I keep deleting the ideas. The only reason I'm not spelling them out is that I keep end up thinking how OP a Voters Elytra would be.
    -1 from me on this as Elytras will always be available and with mending they shouldn't ever run out. Besides with each waste reset there probably becomes an in stock supply of hundreds of Elytras every 3 or so months.