[Video] Computer Programming for all?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ForeverMaster, May 1, 2014.

?

Are you able to write code or interested in it?

Yes. 36 vote(s) 92.3%
No. 1 vote(s) 2.6%
I don't know. 2 vote(s) 5.1%
  1. Anyone else notice the soundtrack was like a quarter of a second off?

I am taking python and java classes right now, I completed a visiual basic honors class in the first semester and I am going to take an AP C++ class next year for 2 semesters.

I want to find out what I like so I can extend my base of knowledge on that one language.
  2. How old was Aikar when he started coding? :p
    607 likes this.
  3. Oh, this sounds cool! :)

Need to find some time to read through this thread carefully :rolleyes:

I don't even remember when I did :oops: I suppose I could find my old files somewhere though and check their creation dates.
  4. Is it bad that I'm only 10 and I'm learning to code...
    Lol
  5. That's actually a good thing. The earlier you learn the easier it will be for you later on.
    607 likes this.
  6. I started learning Scratch when I was 9, HTML when I was 10, and i've been learning Java since I was 11 :p Last year (I was 12 or 13) I started learning CSS and learned it within two weeks :p

I currently know;
    • Scratch *Which btw, will never get you anywhere unless you use it a stepping stone to learn other languages)
    • HTML
    • CSS
    • Java (Only the basics, I do plan to begin learning more on the 28th July, which is the day I finish school for the summer :p)
    • PHP (Once again, only the basics. I plan to learn it the same time as Java)
    I plan to learn;

• Python
    • C++
    • C#
    • More Java
    • More PHP
    • Ruby (I'm buying a Pi soon :p)
    mba2012, porphos and 607 like this.
  7. sounds cool, I'm doing a I.T lvl 2 class so I know how to do HTML :D
  8. Ah I saw this video last year. I thought that it does a great job showing people that we're not just stuck in a dark room programming until we collapse :p
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.
  9. Python is a great language in my opinion :)
  10. I wonder why they're called languages.
    Is it because memorizing codes and how they're supposed to work is like memorizing words and they're meaning, also how to use them?
    Just noticed he similarities
  11. Really cool video! My mom is currently going to school to be a ethical hacker, I'm looking to follow into the computer field.

Edit: O and also the mod computer craft uses a language called lua to make computers in game, I don't know to much about it because I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds cool.
  12. I know that Sethbling from Mindcrack did a programming tutorial series for that mod, but he never finished it.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Qvl4gaBge02Eh4AqtDSWg3sojt3jeRO
    607 and SgtStutta45 like this.
  13. 607 likes this.
  14. Well, might as well crash the party. :p

I am very fluent in Java (I've made a few Minecraft plugins!), know enough HTML, JavaScript, and jQuery to work my way around, know minimal CSS, and know a little about C++. That's about it for me.
  15. That was a very good video.
    I thought it was the opposite though, with the supply and demand. More people needed than people wanting to get a job that involves coding? I really did not know that. That's great though! :D
    I have always thought that there were way too many people wanting to get a job with computers, so I would never be able to get one just because they would all be taken. So this defenitely changes things, thanks for sharing this!

(now the only problem is that our school doesn't support anything like this)
  16. Your supposed to learn in school right?
    How much does school education stretch to programming
    Just HTML and CSS or something?
  17. My school offers no programming classes. There aren't any computer classes except for very basic things. I mostly just Google it and look for useful sites to learn.
    607 likes this.
  18. Did you find any useful sites?
  19. True, I've used that for HTML
  20. I've been "programming" since I was about 9. When I was 12 I was an idiot and decided it would be fun to start learning Objective-C... Not a good idea :p

I've been doing PHP for over a year and I'd recommend learning it first (Aikar won't approve :p) because it fusses over semicolons. Java is the language of the future if you want to get into application/consumer software programming. I'd still recommend learning C++ as well.

HTML and CSS is a good starting point if you want to learn to program. It demonstrates the basics of language structure and syntax. PHP couples with HTML and CSS and so with those three, you'll be an "expert" web developer.

I've been more inclined to learn C/C++ (although Java is, again, becoming more relevant) because I'm planning on studying electrical engineering and hoping to get into avionics (plane computers) or signalling sort of industries.

And just to mention because someone is bound to get confused. JavaScript and Java and not the same nor similar. The story I heard was that the people making JavaScript got paid by the people who made Java to name it JavaScript :p JavaScript is a scripting language for dynamic webpages, Java is a full programming language for developing applications etc.