Vanilla Tweaks: Resource Packs made easy

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by Ryko369, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Ever wanted to make some simple changes to minecraft's look without making it look like a totally different game? Then I've got the website for you!

Welcome to Vanilla Tweaks!

I just want to run through the basics of how to use the vanilla tweaks website and how to install resource packs. Click on the linked name above to get to the vanilla tweaks website.

Part 1: Choose the tweaks you want
    So recently, for the 1.18 update the vanilla tweaks team updated their packs to have better compatibility with each other. This makes it a lot easier to choose the ones you want without running into too much trouble. The way the website works too is that it will create one custom resource pack for you by combining all the options you choose from the list, so you don't have to manage many different resource packs.

Toward the top of the page you should see the version selection. You should use resource packs that match the version your Minecraft client is running. For me, since I'm running a 1.18 client, I would choose 1.18. It defaults to the most recent Minecraft version, so if that's the client you're running then you don't need to worry about choosing the right version.

As you can see on their website, the options are divided into sections that tell you what they do. I recommend taking a look through all of them just to get a feel for which ones you might want to install. I personally love the Utilities, Unobtrusive and Peace & Quiet sections.

If you hover your mouse over each option, you can see a short description of them and an example of what they do on the right-hand side.

When you decide that you want to add one of the options to your custom resource pack, just click on it! Keep adding all the ones you want, but pay attention, the option will change color if it's incompatible with another option. For instance the variated grass option is incompatible with the lower grass option and if you click both, they'll both turn blue! If you hover your cursor over the incompatible option, it will tell you exactly which options it's incompatible with. Unfortunately if this happens, you'll need to pick the one you really want and unselect the other one by clicking it again.

Once you're happy with your resource pack, you can take a look at it over on the right-hand side for review. You can move the resource pack options to change their order, this really only matters if any are incompatible as the topmost one will be used. However I recommend not keeping incompatible options together as it's just a waste of space on your hard drive.

Part 2: Time to Download and Install!
    Now that you've gotten your options chosen it's time to download the resource pack and install it. On the right side of the screen you should see the orange download button underneath your resource pack. Go ahead and hit it to start the download process.

Now if you really hate ads, you can click the little arrow on the download button and choose direct download, it will then download the resource pack immediately. Otherwise you just need to wait 5 seconds for an add then press the skip button in the top right to continue your download.

Now that you've got your resource pack downloaded you've still got to install it. This will vary depending on what OS your computer is running, though the general steps will be the same.

You do NOT need to extract the folder! Minecraft resource packs come as .zip files, so if you extract it, Minecraft will be unable to recognize it as a resource pack!

1. Go to your downloads folder on your computer
    2. Click on the downloaded resource pack there(you can change the name of it if you like, for organizational purposes)
    3. Do ctrl + c, or right click and choose "copy" to copy the resource pack to the clipboard
    4. If Minecraft is not open already, open it up, I recommend installing with minecraft open so that you can see the results immediately. On the pause screen or the main menu choose "Options"
    5. From Options choose "Resource Packs"
    6. At the very bottom you should see a button that says "Open Pack Folder" Go ahead and click it.

7. This will bring up your resource pack folder. Do ctrl + v or right click and choose "Paste" to paste your resource pack into the folder.
    8. Return to Minecraft. You should now see that resource pack in the left hand column under "available" If the pack appears red, then that means that you've chosen the wrong version for your client.
    9. Hover your cursor over the pack and click the little arrow that appears on the left hand side of it.

10. This will move the pack to the right hand column under "selected"
    11. You're now good to go! Click Done at the bottom and the game will reload.
    12. Once the game's done reloading, your new resource pack will be in effect!

Part 3: Buyer's remorse
    Maybe you don't like one of the options you selected after all. It's too annoying or looks wrong or something. For me it was the 3D vines and the Fully Aged Crop Marker, they were lagging my game!

Well, if you want to change up your resource pack at any time, you have two options: start from scratch or edit your current pack.

I recommend editing your current pack if all you want to do is remove one or two options. What you need to do is to go to the vanilla tweaks website again, and then on the right side, you'll see a box that says "Choose a pack to edit or drag it here". You can click on the box to browse your folders to find the resource pack, or you can open up your resource pack folder like we did above and drag it to that box.

This will open up your resource pack on the website. You can now go through and deselect all the options you want to remove. When you're ready, click download again and install the new pack like we did above. You'll need to uninstall the old pack from Minecraft when you do this by clicking on the arrow to change it from "selected" to "available". Luckily you can uninstall the old pack and install the new one at the same time!

That's all I've got for you today! Feel free to let me know any questions you have in the replies or anything I missed here. Also I play on windows, so apologies to mac and linux users if something's different from what you need to do.

These are some fabulous resource packs that I highly recommend!
  2. Yes, just yes!

Also, first!

Edit: Just installed it, love it!

Thanks Ryko! :D