URGENT: Windows Users - Update ASAP! MS14-066 WinShock

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Nov 13, 2014.

1. No wonder I have a malware in my PC, I had automatic updates off :eek:
    redfire23 likes this.
  2. just think of how many exploits and major bugs are a part of our windows right now without us even knowing. hell, that bug was 5 years older than me and was here before this millennium and it never really affected us. it makes you think.
  3. O_O Thanks you, That's why my PC is randomly shutting down!
  4. Thank you, sir!
  5. Last I checked it is possible to run Windows application on Ubuntu/Linux with PlayOnLinux and/or wine. I had installed windows office on my Ubuntu device and it works just the same way as it would on my windows computer.
  6. im not going to update :) come at me hackers
    Parkerjv9, jknrlz, redfire23 and 2 others like this.
  7. All I wonder about is, if behind the "so much dangerous bug" is a market trick of Microsoft, forcing people to rush to acquire new versions of Windows.
    No information leakage since May? Much wow.
    No hackers have found this out for 19 years? Much wow.

And yes, I wouldn't wonder if there indeed would happen attacks now on computers. By hackers? Who knows.

Anyways, just my thoughts.
    SkareCboi likes this.
  8. It is true that window applications can be run with playonlinux and wine, but for the average person who does not know a ton about linux they would not know about it or really know how to install it. Personally I think it is easy but everyone has their own abilities.
  9. Right, rather not get someones hopes up that it works for every app.

Some windows apps can run, but never guaranteed.
  10. That is quite true i have had that happen to me. It is best to do the update if you are not used to linux operating systems i would say, or you can take the journey and learn to love linux:)
    SkareCboi likes this.
  11. Linux is nice, but for someone who doesn't want to blow all their money away, Windows is the way to go. Time = money, and Linux requires lots of time to get used to for the average user.

Also, some food for thought. The older a bug/exploit is, the safer you have been. Most all bugs are found when people exploit them. If any bug has been around for 19 years, then it is highly unlikely that it was a real issue in the past. Like the ShellShock bug for Unix systems (born in 1989), this probably affected no one, and no one here has been affected by it. So don't freak out people, just update and forget lol.
  12. And for obvious reasons. IF they had announced it before the patch was released, you know that talented hackers would have tried to make use of the exploit before the bug was snuffed out.

Glad that Windows forced me to update it in the middle of the night while I was asleep then, I tend to put that stuff off as long as I can, even though I know it leaves my system vulnerable. (You might say I live on the edge of danger) ;)
  13. It's not really anything to do with how long a bug has been out, that only relates to exposure of how much is affected.

No one was abused by shellshock before it was announced, but now it is being abused. Same thing will happen to this. Now that the hackers know it exists, they will find out how to do it.

But it is true linux does take time and time = money, but my suggestion for that was for those who CAN'T update windows for some reason.

When your in that situation, then you need to do something to secure your PC, and if money or PC performance is the problem, then Linux is about the only solution besides buying a new PC.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  14. I actually kept postponing it 1 hour at a time XD

I'm usually in the middle of researching things when I receive automatic update alerts.

I finally decided, around 3-4 am to 'go to bed'... so I clicked to turn off computer... turned off monitors and went to go read... then was like "Wait, there was an update - let me see how long it will take" ... so I turned back on my primary monitor, but was like "huh, says shutting down - must have installed update"

I haven't received any update alerts in past few days since then... so I suppose it's patched for me.
  15. I best hurry up then :)
  16. Good to see that you're letting everyone know about this Aikar :)
  17. Thank you, I've notified my poor classmates ;)
    Jortus's parents are using Vista, but I do not feel bad for it >:D Begone with Vista!
  18. I always update my PC, so I should be good
  19. U scare me aikar, thanks for the warning/heart attack, I've now updated windows for any future attacks :)

EDIT: turns out, my comp automatically updates even if I'm in the middle of playing on the EMC :) so I'm good.
  20. Linux where good, i say where. but since gnome 3 and kde4 things did go fast down. but the biggest problem on linux is the bad hardware support, sound , 3dfx space navigator and other hardware is always a big headace. besides its almost impossible to run my software on linux this days. many software dont run anyway good on linux, tried it long enough an d know people that still use linux. and still bump into problems i did have to. and hard to fix without installing lots of 32bit dependencies on your 64bit linux installation. Also ubuntu is not my favorite os anymore since the screwed it with unity. so linux is a pain in some body part if your not a basic simple user.