URGENT: Windows Users - Update ASAP! MS14-066 WinShock

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Nov 13, 2014.

1. I might try this, but last time I tried to update Windows it failed to download and I gave up...
  2. I got 16 important updates, is that a reasonable number or did I not update for too long?
  3. I think my computer randomly updated the other day, so I think I might be good. If not, whatever. What I've noticed is that several sites imply that this is only possible viewing malicious sites on Internet Explorer. I never use it. It might pop up when I click a link elsewhere, though normally that brings of google chrome. I tend to click immediately out of IE. I'm not tech savvy though, so I guess I'll look more at the update and my own system.
  4. Went through my update history, I have a TON of updates on the 12th. All for windows. So I assume I've been force update anyways. Probably 'cause I left that setting on. :/ I did discover the optional updates, so I think I'll be adding some language packs :p

Anywho, thanks for warning Aikar.
  5. If the bug had no known attacks then why even bother announcing it? Since they announced it now people will be trying hard to figure out how to attack.
    607 likes this.
  6. Cool, Thank you Microsoft for giving me a current event :3 (school project thingy) I AM NOT SAYING THAT HACKING IS COOL
    607 likes this.
  7. They discovered it months ago though. The point of announcing it now (and so late) is because they didn't want to give an opportunity for anyone to take advantage of it. Now, people are given the ability to fix this security hole, with little time for hackers to figure it out. Plus, should anyone not choose to update (if they had auto updates off), and they become one of the few cases for this to even occur, they have no one to blame but themselves for not installing the fix. (unless they live in a hole and don't bother to take care of their computer in the first place)
  8. forcin teh windows xp peeps to update to windows 7
    607 likes this.
  9. I never use auto update, it screws your system. best setting is to let windows notify you that there are updates (at least windows 7, with 8 the made that silly harder) Then you can deciode to update directly, or wait until your system is in safe state in case it wants a reboot. The have done that better on windows 8 then 7
    607 and Parkerjv9 like this.
  10. that's a good idea! Thanks!
    Thayf13 likes this.
  11. When I first did the update, it caused my mouse pad and keyboard to stop working alltogether-and all I had was my wireless mouse and the touchscreen keyboard until I found a fix :p
  12. Touchscreen keyboard?
  13. They could have just tied it in with another update and never had anyone know the difference.
    Even with the limited time a large amount of people will still find a way to hack into it.
    607 likes this.
  14. He he he
  15. Haha yes. My laptop is touchscreen and if you want you can bring up a touch screen keyboard. That was all I could use :/
  16. YES I now have a thing to write a paper on :D and my parents think MC is a waste of time XD
  17. FYI, 3006226 was flagged as a critical update (This was the patch that fixed the OLE) so as long as you have auto-updates this patch was automatically installed. However CVE only states that its affecting the OLE in newer systems. The listing for CVE-2014-6332 states:
    Code:
    OLE in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 SP2 and R2 SP1, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 Gold and R2, and Windows RT Gold and 8.1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted web site, aka "Windows OLE Automation Array Remote Code Execution Vulnerability."
    ...lol, I felt like using a code tag, just because.. xD
  18. Scene when have you know this?!
  19. Having it mess up your system would be an extreme fluke occurrence. Manually applying would do the same damage an automatic would.

The only thing that can screw your system up is a bad driver update, which unless you know how to research the impact of every update, you're not going to know anyways.

The 0.001% chance of having a bad update is not worth the risk of not patching severe security vulnerabilities.
  20. Thank you Aikar!!! Glad we have people like you and the other staff keeping us safe on the internet :D.