Updated Fixes to Build Mode

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ElfinCarrot, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Build Mode has been a great, wonderful thing.
    But since it has been a few months since it's release, one thing was bound to happen

People placing things in build mode and then going derelict or leaving for a long period of time.

Now my logic is that if someone is derelict, meaning they haven't logged on in 30 days or voted in 7, any items they have placed in build mode should be taken out of build mode.

Now, here are some exceptions to this rule:
    • Valuable Blocks (quarts, diamond blocks, beacons, etc) as these are few in number as it is and will only usually be placed in settlements
    • Ender Chests (same reason as valuable blocks)
    The Items I am Proposing Include:

• Building Blocks (wood, cobble, etc)
    • Unlocked Chests
    • Decor Items (signs, fences, furnaces, etc)
    • Anything Not Considered Valuable
    If someone can claim your res when derelict then there is no reason why your builds in the wild should be safe either. Yes, while the wild is in fact bigger and thus space is not one of the issues, it is still an issue in lets say, a settlement, when someone places down objects in build mode and goes derelict without letting anyone alter them.
    Keep In Mind:

• This is only if you're derelict on EMC. Meaning you did not vote, log on, or make preparations for your leave.
    • Valuable Blocks will still be protected, since they are rather infrequent in the first place.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  2. Yeah its a shame that some take advantage of the protection now and build obstructions made of chest to break the immersion of the long paths n stuff.

+1
    607, ElfinCarrot and ShelLuser like this.
  3. there is a difference between claiming a residence (in which you get none of the users items)

and griefing because they havent logged in in a bit. which is really what you are asking to do.

i mean who decides what is arbitrarily "valuable?" i need dc's of bookshelves for my build should i be able to go to someones enchanting table and take all their bookshelves? no.

if you have a claimed settlement that belongs to you you can ask seniorstaff to open perms on the settlement, aside form that why would you have someone out at your settlement that you dont have on your friends list? if you are on the friends list you can break their stuff
  4. I'd have to go -1 on this one, sorry, even though I can really see where you're coming from.

My concern is basically that even without block protection you'd still not have the right to just remove someone's buildings and/or blocks. I can definitely understand your concerns in an establishment, but.. isn't this exactly why you'd want to establish an outpost? Once that is done the outpost leader can decree that a building doesn't meet the outpost regulations and therefor should be removed.

Of course... you do need staffs help and permission for this. And I can see how this could become problematic with bigger buildings. Still... that should still be doable.

Just wondering: is there anything specific which is bugging you with this right now?
    607 and ElfinCarrot like this.
  5. Well unless the ingame tooltips are incorrect, there are several items that count as "valuable" that are automatically protected even when out of build mode. You can type /buildmode to see for yourself.

As for the settlement thing, that was only an example of something that could theoretically happen. Another example could be your friend has it set so their friends don't have build perms, and didn't specifically set it for you. It could also be a matter of something simple like a block placed somewhere inconvenient. While you can get a staff to do this, implementing this would make it so you would've have to retrieve a staff to do it for you. While the staff are 100% already fine with helping you with build mode stuff, it saves your time and the moderators time.

Also, keep in mind this isn't just logging in, it's derelict. You can vote once every seven days to not be derelict, and if need be you can ask a friend to do this for you, should you be away for an extended period of time. Voting is a simple process that can be done on a phone, even on your ride to work or school.

Horses only get 14 days, and you have to go near them to reset the timer. This is far more difficult, and it means you can lose something like, lets say a rare promo horse you happened to have left out there, or a very high speed horse.

Besides, this only renders the objects out of build mode, it does not delete them. While griefings at settlements can happen, they are treated as such- a broken rule, and will be handled as such in the past. And this is IF a griefer decides to head all the way out to your base.
  6. I had to deal with a derelict player leaving behind signs saying things like "Work in Progress Area". But the areas are now fully complete. While this was a simple fix, just had to grab a moderator, I still had to take time away from a moderator who already has limited time. And if on a larger scale it could be more bothersome.
  7. That is fully correct, you can find a full list of these so called uncommon blocks here.
  8. The majority of these I agree with but I feel signs and chests among other items shouldn't be considered valuable.

Consider you can lock chests, and if a chest is locked then you can't break it either.
    Not sure why you'd want to protect an unlocked chest if all the contents are already at risk.
  9. i just think this is already solvable by player dilligence and mod help.

dont invite people out to settlements that are going to be inactive (thats like an old obvious rule) if they are invited out, the owner of the settlement should make it a requirement that they can edit everyone invites builds.

if that didnt happen get mods and they will solve it for you, all mods can do this now pretty much so it isnt really hard to do.
    ElfinCarrot and 607 like this.
  10. I had this issue where I was building in the past. I was told by staff that as long as they are derelict for 6 months and the blocks placed in buildmode are in the way of your build then they will remove buildmode from them
    ElfinCarrot likes this.