Upcoming Supporter Changes Ideas | Price Poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jun 27, 2014.

?

What Prices would you be ok with paying as a Supporter

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
10 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 96 vote(s) 39.0%
10 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 35 vote(s) 14.2%
15 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 34 vote(s) 13.8%
15 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 5 vote(s) 2.0%
One Rank | 20 17 vote(s) 6.9%
One Rank | 25 3 vote(s) 1.2%
One Rank | 30 3 vote(s) 1.2%
I am unable to support the Empire 53 vote(s) 21.5%
  1. Yeah that's perfect! I saw one of the Q&As where Mojang said that server operators could offer free trials to their servers. They never said how long those free trials could last. Just give the free players a 10 year free trial to the town.
  2. You'll still be paying $20 but you'll be getting the $25 package. At least that's the way I read it.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  3. I don't like the whole idea of pets, disguises, and particles - It reminds me of those large minigame servers.
  4. Personally, I don't see why you can't just break up the servers to support Free / $10 / $20

Utopia/SMP1/SMP2 - $20
    SMP3/SMP4/SMP5 - $10
    SMP6/SMP7/SMP8/SMP9 - Free

If you pay for those levels you get everything you used to get that was available in those tiers...in the respective servers. I agree with you on dissolving the Iron package by giving a few of the options to the free players, but let the other supporter options wash away, and be only available to those in Gold / Diamond supporter packages that are available on those servers.

I do realize that this setup would mean that no free players would be interacting with paid players, but is a viable option to consider to keep current funding, and comply with Mojang, because there number one stipulation says it must be equal on a given "server". How you access that server can be based on payment or not.

This is just an idea, and even though I have not as of yet been a supporter, I have seriously considered it. But for me, it is not an option of just $5, $10, or $20...it is $20, $40, or $80...heh ...since my whole family plays. I have been leaning towards the $40 option, but if the $80 became $60....that may be a sweet spot for me.

I appreciate all the hard work you guys do to offer a family friendly environment, and I know you will work out what is best. I will pray that the answers come easily, as it seems to be a daunting task.
  5. Well, there thousands of residences on SMP1-SMP5. Most of them owned by free players. This will never happen.
    battmeghs and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. Mhhm, one thing I've always hated is colours in chat, don't mind bold/italic but colours is so annoying.
    wassatthen and highlancer54 like this.
  7. Fixed?

EDIT:
    Agreed with those against colored names. Set by rank is acceptable but having a rainbow of nametags is obnoxious and distracting. Please let's not do that.
  8. Not giving players colored chat. Just opening up to choose your own name color instead of forced grey/gold/blue. And adding a few more colors.
  9. Not all the colors would be open. Would it really be so bad to have 2-3 more options than today o.o?

Many chat rooms/games give dynamic colors to names so that messages can be easier to distinguish by person. its a nice concept to help conversate better.
    MrsWishes likes this.
  10. And we can always add a player setting to ignore players name colors in chat :)
    wkramer79, 607, MrsWishes and 3 others like this.
  11. Loophole Suggestion - Purchase a SEPARATE kind of ign currency, which can be used to purchase Classical Ranks such as Diamond, Gold and Iron. Correct me if this is not a viable option
  12. That wouldn't work. Refer to Mojang's comments about soft/hard currency. Basically hard currency is REAL money. And if you spend it on Soft currency (in-game); it still counts as using the hard currency [basically]
  13. So, I have a few thoughts/questions.

First, supporters no longer get a daily rupee bonus correct?

Second, for me the #1 reason I got first gold supporter, and then diamond, was for the extra residences. I play minecraft to build, so that was really the only perk I would be willing to spend money on. Is there going to be a system where rupees/tokens can be used to gain more residences, or will all new players be forever confined to 1 residence?

Third, I agree with the above people, that more colors in chat is a bad thing. One of my favorite things about EMC is that it feels clean, so I'm not a fan of the multiple name colors, bold/italics in chat, feet particles, and all that. I know that making a cosmetic rank is going to be difficult, but I'd like it if we could try and find perks that preserve the cleanliness that EMC has compared to a lot of other servers.

To be honest, as listed I probably wouldn't be a supporter again, other than just for the sake of helping EMC. None of those perks are worth money to me. That's the problem with what Mojang is doing, that seems to be their goal. I'm very frustrated and disappointed that a company that started as an Indie games studio and made possibly one of the greatest games of all time, and that has remained popular all this time due to the creative multiplayer servers, is now seemingly trying very hard to kill all those servers and promote their own "Realms" service. I hope they begin listening to their community again.
    sonicol1, battmeghs, Pab10S and 2 others like this.
  14. I don't like it much either, but were going to need some way of enticing people to donate now.

Thank you so much! :D
  15. Two questions:

1. This has already been asked, but unless I missed it, I haven't seen an answer, so I'm just making sure you guys see this. What will happen to current supporter vouchers? Will they change at all, or can they stay the same?

2. So since free players will now be able to access Utopia by the same system, will free players who own Utopian residences still have the option to claim a normal residence in exchange for their Utopian one? I personally think that this would still be a nice feature, but that's just my opinion. :)
  16. But Mojang has said these are the only perks servers can offer for money. EMC has to be able to get money somehow. If you want EMC to survive, the players will have to adjust to some changes. Remember this is mandated by Mojang and it is not EMC idea. If you really feel strongly, maybe you should complain to Mojang that they are forcing changes you don't like.

Can you suggest some non-game affecting perks that you do like?
    highlancer54 likes this.
  17. Can I just ask why people are choosing equal prices?

Having the normal supporter perks at the same price as the cosmetic perks will likely make people think, why bother buying that when I could get supporter for the same price. If this happens, EMC will then miss out on people who are going to buy the mainly useless cosmetics pack because it's cheaper but still makes you look cool.

I voted for a higher price for supporter than cosmetics because people buying supporter would bring in more money, and the people without so much money to spend would buy the cheaper cosmetics package. Also, if people bought both packages, that would be extra money coming in to cover the money that would be lost from people who choose to linger support because they don't think the perks are good enough.

I'm not trying to bias anyone's vote, I'm just wondering why you think they should be equal.
  18. Good point, I think I would now change my vote , if I could do it over
  19. What do you get in supporter that you think is more enticing than the cosmetic perks? Just curious as to what your reasoning is.
    highlancer54 likes this.
  20. I'm a bit worried.

This is all ... so complicated and feels like it is trying to hard.

When I decide if I will support a server or not, and I have supported many servers in the past, I support because I like the server I am playing on.

I avoid supporting servers when it feels like they are just out to get my money. This all really feels like just ways to get my money. EMC has never felt like that before.

If the product is good, people will support it. Put a button up that says "support" and lets me enter an amount I feel comfortable with. No perks needed. That would make me more likely to support. Or even (also) sell just a small pack of non-intrusive cosmetic things. The in town disguise thing is nice.

In a previous post I said the people who are to rigid to change aren't going to make it though this.

Right now it feels like EMC is doing everything it can to avoid this. Instead of changing, doing everything we can to worm around the rules and sitting around being bitter at Mojang instead of moving forward. It is like clinging to a quickly eroding ledge with nothing but your finger tips. The servers who survive this will be the servers who move willingly into the future instead of standing around on ground that is disappearing below them.

I get that EMC needs funds to survive. But you need to worry about providing a great product. Remember EMC doesn't need perks to survive. You guys just need to keep providing the great server you always have, to the players. People will support you for doing exactly that.

Your plan is so messy and complicated because you want to do everything you can to get around the rules. I would suggest taking a long look at how you can make it clean and simple.