Upcoming Supporter Changes Ideas | Price Poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jun 27, 2014.

?

What Prices would you be ok with paying as a Supporter

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
10 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 96 vote(s) 39.0%
10 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 35 vote(s) 14.2%
15 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 34 vote(s) 13.8%
15 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 5 vote(s) 2.0%
One Rank | 20 17 vote(s) 6.9%
One Rank | 25 3 vote(s) 1.2%
One Rank | 30 3 vote(s) 1.2%
I am unable to support the Empire 53 vote(s) 21.5%
  1. Those kind of things might change soon, especially since were about to consolidate some resources and reduce cost, we'll need to match that with reduced max players.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  2. interesting idea. I can see that working out much better.

One thing I've been toying with is the idea of a "Login Queue" for when server caps are low, so it doesn't flat out block you from joining, but you have to wait to join for room to be made.

With this, we could even explore opening utopia up too, but it have a lower cap also. So everyone can get a taste of the servers, and be in better compliance with the eula.

Edit: Ok man this def lead us to how to approach utopia and future cool servers that makes it even more compliant with the EULA.

We can open up Utopia to ALL players, but a low 5 player max cap. Then everyone can get a taste, but free players will be stuck in the queue a lot, giving incentive to support to bypass the queue.
    porphos likes this.
  3. Could even sell ad space on the login queue screen, if that's viable. ;)
    607, goofballbroker, porphos and 2 others like this.
  4. OH, if we are going to get evil about it, Just make adds pop up in game for players who are not paid members. I would rather see us go the route of corporate sponsorship.:rolleyes: All player skins are overwritten with logo tee shirts.
    607, SkareCboi, JackBiggin and 3 others like this.
  5. I'm not sure I'd like this. Since the majority of people are still likely going to be free members, this will basically reduce the number of people who can experience my theme park down to supporters and five other people.

If you do do this,would people with legacy access automatically bypass the queue?
  6. You probably don't even realise this... but I laughed at this bit, because the apparently reason skins are gonna become signed is because a server did something pretty similar to do that. :p
    Bro_im_infinite and mba2012 like this.
  7. I thought Mojang also stated they're not happy with players selling ad space on servers?
  8. They stated they're fine with it. In fact, they encouraged it as a valid revenue stream.
  9. Ah, my misunderstanding then :)
  10. That's the thing, you would still be able to play, just an inconvenience on login.

Remember the old EMC days when supporter was required to even connect because servers were full? And we had to use mods that automatically spam connected just to get in...

Well I'm talking about a nicer system than that even, where you simply can wait your line n queue, and maybe a little lobby (not saying the H word!) to walk around and dance in while waiting for your place in queue. Then everyone WILL get in, maybe have to wait 1 or 2 minutes? But still going to get in.

Then we start having things like XP bonus and Token Bonus on utopia, then you'll find many people willing to deal with the login delay just to play.
    battmeghs, 607, jkjkjk182 and 3 others like this.
  11. So would th
    is mean all players would have access to Utopia wilderness, it would just be a matter of getting past the queue?
  12. What don't you like about Hub? :p
    battmeghs likes this.
  13. Well, it wouldn't strictly be a hub, as hubs are more for connecting to multiple worlds/servers.
    This would be more of a "waiting" lobby
    battmeghs, 607, mba2012 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ok, a Hub would be cool though and each SMP could have it's own themed portal :)
  15. Well the thing is our server design is 'abnormal' to people. For most people, different server portals = different things to do...

It would be confusing to present a player with a choice but no reason to make a specific choice.

"Hey welcome to EMC, walk into any of these portals, they are all the same" is quite weird.

Also, we wouldn't want people chilling out on the hubs like everyone does on other servers. The chatting of a community should be on the SMP's, not on a hub. Otherwise people would leave their SMP to go to a hub to chat, then making the SMP's barren for communication. It's just not a clean design.
  16. I suppose , thank you for clearing that up :)
    607 likes this.
  17. Yes. So late night players might have a better shot at no queue.

We will also be a bit smarter about it so that leaving then coming back will also be friendlier in position and will mostly let you back on instantly/quicker.
    porphos likes this.
  18. Ironically, sitting in the hub would be the thing I would do the most lol :p
    battmeghs, 607, mba2012 and 3 others like this.
  19. I agree to this, Free players have to wait until there is an open spot to be on utopia.
    One open slot. Supporters get a guaranteed connection to Utopia.
    Supporter? You get priority access, can connect.
    Free? When a supporter connects, you get booted, have to wait till the supporters are 'done'.
    Incentive indeed.

This is about as close as you can make Utopia the way it is today, while still EULA complying.

http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...-changes-discussion.39969/page-27#post-761864

20. I think it will be better to let free on Utopia and remove it as a 'supporter only' server, as that would give players even more encouragement to support.

Being kicked for being free would make it unusable, and one would easily question if thats compliant with the EULA.
    (being kicked while playing is for sure "gameplay effecting")

But what were considering now, theres no question that it complies with the EULA.

Everyone on the server has equal access/gameplay. Gating people before they connect is allowed, so we simply encourage supporting in a non gameplay effecting way.

everyone wins as even non supporters can now access utopia's special perks.
    MrsWishes and highlancer54 like this.