Unsolicited Closure of Peaceful Threads

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 607, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Hmm, reading through this, I would say that some of the responses here have been guilty of the same level of over-reaction those posts are accusing 607 of.

I found 607's post to be very respectful and conversational. He wasn't looking for a debate or an argument. He had a thought about something, a concern that he says has been bothering him for a while, and he felt comfortable enough to share that with the community. EMC has always been about the community first, Minecraft second.

607 had a concern that I think not only is understandable, but even somewhat valid. As SS, I would close those suggestion threads all the time depending on if they were accepted or rejected. It was just the way we did it. Just because that's "the way things are done" though doesn't mean it's the best way.

I agree with Krysyy's point - 607's 2nd thread on the topic of a suggestion being approved was a spam thread. However, in 607's eyes, it was a necessary thread because he wasn't finished discussing the topic of the original thread.

In my opinion, the problem here isn't that the thread got closed, because I still believe that the current process is the best process. As 607 states, the Suggestion/Help forums do have a different set of standards and operate differently from the other forums, even if we don't have public rules stating so. (And 607 isn't asking for rules to be made, either, he just wanted a clarification on the reasoning behind the decision process. I can understand that because my natural curiosity makes me ask questions about things that other people find un-important all the time xD)

The problem is that 607 and others wanted a place to be able to appreciate and discuss the addition of a new feature to the forums. This could be accomplished simply by having a parent thread every month maybe that whenever a suggestion is approved, it gets added to the thread. Players can then discuss those in more detail on that parent thread, rather than having multiple different threads for all these smaller changes/updates.

Just my 2 cents, even though it ended up a lot longer than I expected xD Sorry for "flexing" my forum debate skills ;)
  2. If it was not of the sake of this thread, I would have totally missed the added feature of the military time. This is pretty sad as it's my preferred time format.
    Additionally, the explanation on how to actually change the feature was not that clear to me. It is not that intuitiv to change the language and it is not made that clear IMO. Thus, keeping the thread open could clarify questions and raise awareness from new bumps.

Further, I do respectfully disagree with the suggestions to move any discussions away from the forums to reddit. What are the forums used for when not to exchange with the community and post messages on here?

Additionally, just because it has been the way to handle things in the past does not mean it's the best way to deal with it. Always keep an open mind to new suggestions and at least consider them.

I like JD's idea to post updates once in a while. It does not have to be a forced update thread each month when there is not anything new. But maybe when enough suggestions have been added, post something in a sticky parent thread for example.
  3. PoInT PrOvEN
    JDHallows likes this.
  4. Thank you, you understood me very well, and have put it in reasoning that is probably a lot easier to follow for most others. :)
    Stnywitness and JDHallows like this.
  5. I'll comment since one of the closed threads mentioned in OP was mine.

I was totally fine with it being closed, no further comment was needed. I would have liked to have said thanks (and also that I was glad I wasn't imagining things) but thumbs up works just as well.

I suppose staff *could* do that whole "Is that all I can help you with today?" thing that is common in customer service before closing a thread just to ensure people don't feel like they've been hung up on, *if* it doesn't mean a tonne of extra work. I don't think they need left open in perpetuity though, not the support ones at least.
    Stnywitness, 607 and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  6. Thanks for weighing in!
    Stnywitness likes this.