Tweens & Technology

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Wow 607, all of a sudden some things started to make a lot more sense to me!

I didn't even knew it existed, but this year I learned of those Minecraft Lego kits which (this is the part I consider silly): almost cost as much as the actual game itself! :rolleyes:

But that was then, now I finally understand: if the power goes down or your Internet goes b0rk or worse: your computer decides to mimic its Samsung galaxy note cousin (read: it spontaneously catches fire) then there's still hope left!

Although you can no longer play Minecraft on your computer (because that's either gone up in flames or is severely disconnected) you can still play with that Lego set! Hmm, if only we could connect those sets somehow, maybe using the Internet? ;)

(I think I need my coffee and medication now, I'll brb! :D)
    TromboneSteve, DaysInTheDust and 607 like this.
  2. That was not at all my point, but ah, never mind, I like your point. :p
    I don't have trouble anyway, though, if the power goes out I simply play on my GBC or GBA!
  3. That was not at all my point, but ah, never mind, I like your point. :p
    No, but you're right: I was a bit joking there. So take two, a little more serious this time:

That is a problem, true. Electricity... I'd survive but it would be difficult because I cook using electricity instead of gas. Running water, that would be an issue too.

Still, your examples aren't fully fair I think because those are actually primary needs. Well, water at least. Electricity is good to have for your refrigerator so that your food stays fresh, but a decent fridge should be able to cope without power for a few hours.

That is true. However... In some cases I also think it doesn't have to get an extremely big role. Or better put: you might be able to try and keep the caveats in mind.

When my ISP connection (Ziggo, go figure) went haywire earlier this year (read: disconnected from the Net for 3.5 weeks) that was a major issue. But mostly because of work. The rest was more of an inconvenience but not a major issue. I missed EMC, but a good book and some TV also did a lot (and I could still play Minecraft in single player).

Some parts of that technology aren't really as unmissable as some people make them to be I think. Depending on situation...
    607 likes this.
  4. That is true. It'd be nice if we would still be able to have a relatively normal school day when our school gets DDoS'ed again. But we've grown too dependent for that.
  5. i wanna goooo :(
    ShelLuser, 607 and DaysInTheDust like this.
  6. There's a key word for you: Technology Dependence.
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being connected to the wider world. Becoming reliant, addicted to it even, is an issue worth raising. With regard to the topic of kids and technology, I believe very strongly that parents should educate their children before throwing them a tablet and saying "have fun."
    607 and ShelLuser like this.