To PvP or not to PvP?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GokouZWAR, Dec 13, 2011.

?

Should a PvP system be implemented so we can defend ourselves from attackers/Griefers?

Yes 9 vote(s) 27.3%
No 21 vote(s) 63.6%
Don't Care / I don't play in the wild or nether I just build in Town 3 vote(s) 9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well if i lose my stuff to a guy who fights better than me, great. I can wipe my nose, hold my head high and come in later and gank him when he's not looking and inact some vigilante justice. ;) That's just the nature of PvP. Someone's better than you, you're better than someone, it's just a matter of knowing when and where to fight and when to not.

PvP is not an issue for me, it's just the fact of having to sit there and do nothing, guarantee to lose a load to make sure the guy doesn't do it again to someone else...that's just a lot to swallow especially with some of the loads I move and to boot if i mess up, catch someone on an off day and get banned after spending money here, my wife will have my balls on a silver platter. Never mind, that it's just not good for business. You guys need to either protect the players, make a stance on that fact and do it, guarantee their items are secure from players who attack them directly, or not and allow the players to defend themselves. It's survival after all, other players should be treated as other mobs IMO. But that's my opinion and it's clearly not shared here, so that's fine too. If it becomes unbearable, then yeah you'll not see much of me after that and I get that. So no hard feelings in any position here. We've beat this enough so I'm really really really thru here. We'll see u guys in game. I got big projects to work on.
  2. ;)
    slozon likes this.
  3. I know one of the features in zombes client sp modpad allow users to retain inventory when dying. This would be the best solution to any pvp attacks. Unfortunately i believe BUKKIT does not currently have this as an available addon, otherwise Justin would have gladly implemented it :)

and thats an swesome pic in your sig tthreeoh :p
  4. yea it's nice, but it's not my sig( i wouldn't want that much attention! :p) I usually like to keep a low profile haha.

it was a response to twitch's statement above it^^

if you wish to see the end of my two cents on this topic you know what to do :D

I will just quote what I originally said at the end of my first post on this whole discussion to show my support in any direction.
    I said what i said about my incident because I wanted to provide a real scenario of something that truthfully happened. I was very aware of the pvp rules, and knew nothing would happen to them if I pushed the two people into the water giving me time to run away.

the other option if you don't wish to die... leave the game for a short period and then just come back and take off :)

this could also give you time if you are poisoned or burning to death in lava... who knows... you could reach out on the forums and I'm sure someone can come out and help you retrieve your items.

GameKribJEREMY likes this.
  5. Yea, I have experienced this myself in my last year of college.

I am quite good friends with the Principal and held regular meetings with him and other staff to inform them of what students were doing, feeling, saying etc. (you know, sort of like a student representative of the whole college) Now at one of the meetings I noticed that my principal was looking very worried and looked like he was very very deep in thought. I thought I would take it upon me to stay back after the meeting and ask him what was going through his mind.

He told me what was going on, I wish I could say here, but it is strictly confidential and there are some people that went to my school on the Empire. Long story short, he had to make a very important decesion that would change the way the school functioned. On one hand he had what he thought he should do in his mind, and on the other he had the teachers telling him what he should do.

I told him that he should just do what he sees fit, he is the man in charge, and if he needed help making the choice, I was right here to help him.

He ended up making the decision to go with what the other teachers were saying, and later on in the week, they congratulated him for making the right decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So guys, what I am saying to you, is keep up the putting forward of ideas to the staff, I have no doubt that they will strongly consider your idea and respond back to you.

Also if your idea is turned down, do not be discouraged, The most likely reason it was turned down is because it is not in the Empires best interests to have that on its systems, and would not keep the Empire holding true to its foundation image. Keep posting your ideas, sooner or later it will be of use to the staff.

Happy mining

~MR2 :)
  6. After the first page, tl;dr

It's all basically the same: players want ability to protect themselves and mods/admin want simplicity and complete control over such things. I blame neither party, as both are completely justified in their demands.

Here's my two cents: as much as I like the idea of an automated PvP flag system for defense when someone initiates passive-aggressive attacks on another player, it's still a really shaky business. You have to remember that people can STILL twist such a system to their advantage and thus the problem remains. By the same coin, making "pics or it never happened" Empire policy is hardly the way to deal with such things.

I know my first instinct when someone attacks me or my constructs in the wild is to first ask them to stop (cause I'm a nice guy), and then to strike back if they continue. Because in all honesty, half the time the justice process is pretty long in happening and I'd like to keep at least a few of my blocks the way I had them.

So, if you guys upstairs want to work out a better system for the Wilderness/Nether player protection, then be my guest. I'd love to hear what you come up with.
    In the meantime, I will continue to abide by the Empire rulez and play fair. I will use the complaint system with screencaps when I can get them to bring evildoers to justice.

But be warned: if my character is in imminent danger of losing it's life to an indirect, malicious attack initiated by another player and I do not have time for a screencap (i.e. 1-2 seconds to save my life), I will use force to defend myself.

As Twitch said:
    I'd also like to add "Don't ask, don't tell." It works wonders.

If admin or mods have problems with this, let me know. I will be checking these forums on a daily basis, though I will not be in-server for gameplay until after Christmas break. Any thoughts on my way of doing things are greatly appreciated. Cause I really don't wanna get banned!
  7. What all of this means is, if there is no evidence, you can not be prosecuted...
    This is my stance on it... You must do what you feel is the right thing... If it is defending yourself, so be it. Just hope the other guy doesn't get the screenshot and turn the story on you...
  8. I forget where but there was a post where it said this server was not a pvp server and it said it won't be a pvp server but don't count on what I just said but it did say that this ISN'T a pvp server. If you have a problem with griefers in the wild or nether you would have to have a screenshot of them griefing/stealing. There is also a risk that you choose to take while building or having your items in a chest in the wild/nether so there shouldn't be a need for pvp on this server. Maybe a pvp arena for fun but that is most likely not going to happen.
  9. There are lots of servers with PvP out there and I have to say, they're all fairly bad experiences, even ones with a really good PvP mod system.

I am, however, conversely, all for traps.

If you're snooping about something in the Wild that blatantly belongs to someone and has signs saying:
    "This is mine, I was last here on 'x' date, so get out"
    Then welcome to my TNT lava spike trap.
  10. what if you just put on the sign, " No Creepers allowed"... who's to be the wiser?? :p

11. I approve of this. It shall be implemented in all of my bases upon my return.

Because all of my bases undoubtedly belong to ME and not to all of you...

I don't care what the memes say!

Many thanks. I shall remember this when I create a lava chamber around a griefer. I'm not very easy to catch on camera in the first place... sneaky is my middle name. Or maybe it's ninja... I can't remember.
  12. Idk, maybe it isa seperate server where you can pvp
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.