TNT in 1.5

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by supereskimo, Feb 3, 2013.

?

Should non-supporters be able to use dispensers to place TNT? What about TNT minecarts?

Yes to both dispensers and minecarts. 10 vote(s) 15.4%
No to both. 35 vote(s) 53.8%
Yes to dispensers, no to minecarts. 2 vote(s) 3.1%
No to dispensers, yes to minecarts. 3 vote(s) 4.6%
No opinion - whatever the mods decree. 15 vote(s) 23.1%
  1. Hmm, I was wondering what he did with all of that. An interesting use of TNT but to each his own. It's a shame that I spent all of those hours making a double chest of TNT and wasn't able to use it. Personally I think it's total bogus that "donators" feel as though TNT is rightfully theirs and normal members should never be able to own it. At what point is it a donation and a bonus "perk" rather than selling minecraft content for 20 dollars. Most of the people on here just use their parents money anyway.

But then I suppose, EMC would have a lot fewer diamond supporters and alot less money. It's always about money, always. :oops:
  2. That's pretty much what iv been trying to state in my thread. I point out that EMC could basically just say thank you and that's it. They don't actually have to give out "perks" to supporters but they do it as a thank you. As well as a way to get more people interested in to give them money, because lets face it most of these supporters wouldn't support if all they got was a thank you. Just like how PBS gives people small gifts like tote bags or stuff for them donating money.

Unfortunately in the thread I made, most of the diamond supporters and some regular members/supporters feel they deserve stuff for "donating."

Even when I had 2 new rules in the second post no one seemed to state how they felt about them or anything even though it limited TNT usage even more. Or they didn't care anymore cause they just didn't agree with the first set I proposed. I got tired of bumping the thread every now and then when no one else wanted to pay attention or give their opinion to the new rules I set up.
  3. One solution would be stopping non-supporters picking up TNT in the first place.
  4. The problem with that is many non-supporters already have lots of TNT, which they worked very hard to get. The good people who deserve to own TNT would be forced to turn it in but the criminals would still obtain them through illegal means. A lot of people would keep the TNT for self-defense, ultimately resulting in a civil war that-
    Oh wait, this isn't gun control...
    Anyway, it's a bad idea :D
  5. i think that if it comes down to it, and aikar ends up having to disable them, that we should keep them for all to use. BUT log them.

that way, if used to grief, they can figure out who did it.
  6. If they stop non-supporters using it then they will almost certainly have a buyback time where non-supporters can claim compensation for the TNT before the functionality is disabled.

It's understandable why non-supporters wouldn't support this idea, but in the long term it benefits us more.
    The only reason we can play for free is that there is a balance of
    server bills : supporters : free users

Getting the balance wrong will not benefit us, the non-supporter.
    So that's my reasoning for why TNT must stay limited for non-supporters.
  7. As if the money generated from the TNT perk is the only thing keeping the servers running. I would even buy the TNT perk if it was a one time fee or it was a bit cheaper and on it's own.
  8. Yeah I do understand where your coming from in that TNT is part of the vanilla game and restricting it is a bit.. yeah... But one of the reasons in restricting TNT is as it is quite resource intensive in comparison to other blocks in the game ;) So just think about this, let's say there is 100 people on a server, 10 are diamond the rest are lower supporter rank or regular; if each player uses TNT once a day and we record TNT usage over a week you would have minimal lag but let's just think, if all 100 people could use TNT then the server would go from having maybe 10 uses a day to hundreds of uses a day...

Paying extra such as $20 a month for diamond supporters means that Kalland Labs can afford to perhaps upgrade their server hosting as needed for when the supporters are using excessive amounts of TNT, however when a regular player uses excessive amounts of TNT Kalland Labs can't afford to perhaps upgrade server hosting so it would result in the server lagging and perhaps even crashing :(

Their are pros and cons to the limiting of TNT use on Empire Minecraft however JustinGuy has obviously put quite a bit of time and effort into the planning of supporter perks and other EMC features and in the initial programming.
    Ultimately it's at the staff's discretion to whether or not something is to change about EMC...

And also although money is crucial to the server's existence it's not always about money, a major part of EMC is about the fun that lures more players in...
    Let's just think about this: there are 2 servers, one is fun & the other is really boring; which would you rather pay money too? which would you tell people about? Yes earning money plays a major role it isn't everything...
  9. Aikar can use the same code for the vault as the dispensers and Minecarts :) So it could say:
    'You can't use TNT. Consider becoming diamond supporter to use TNT'
  10. I think you may mean you cannot or you can not or even you can't...
  11. So diamond supporters actually wouldn't lose anything, the would only gain, same as all members.
    Where's the problem?

I don't think TNT adds griefing opportunity, but it can be a griefing and PvP tool. Still, I think it is wrong to ban a tool just because it can be abused.
    As for lag, exploding a large amount of TNT could / would induce lag for few seconds, but when you calculate the cost of it (many hours of work or many dollars to buy free rupees), it would be a very small bang for rather high price.

Will banning TNT attract players? No.
    Will putting effort in smooth and fast upgrade to 1.5 attract players: Yes.
    My opinion is: don't complicate things and waste valuable development time: (C)
  12. As is most of real life :(
  13. Maybe you don't, but as a current resident of the wilds, it scares the *explitive* out of me to think any average joe with too much time on his hands could show up at my door with a minecart or some redstone kit and quite literally go ballistic on the place.

TNT is a destructive item - its only purpose is to make big craters in things. I'd be quite content to have it disabled from EMC altogether, but as I know that won't happen, any avenue of use should remain restricted to Diamond.
    And yeah, this is starting to sound eerily like an alternate-universe gun control argument :p
    supereskimo and ZBSDKryten like this.
  14. Totally agree with you here - would probably cause a massive increase in griefing :(
  15. Oh your afraid of something like this? :D

Seriously though, maybe allow a one time fee or some other less expensive alternative because TNT is my favorite part of minecraft and it is really a pain not being able to use it. (The difference between the TNT argument and guns is while they are both designed to destroy/kill, guns prevent an abusive, communist government take over.)

TNTlots.png
  16. Nope, that doesn't frighten me in the least, because I can clearly see that you're in town. :) And whatever you want to do with a DC of nukes on your property is your business - have fun, go bananas. Towns are protected, and it's more or less impossible to grief someone.
    The wilderness is a whole other ballgame, and it doesn't take much imagination for someone to show up, use their "starter rupees" to grab a few blocks of TNT and whatever else they'd need (or just farm it) and set out to cause trouble. It's hard enough for places like LLO to patch up after flint/steel griefing - imagine what a couple jerks with explosives could do.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  17. TNT isn't as dangerous as some might think.
    On it's own, it's fairly weak. You could honestly do more damage with Eff V Picks, Axes and Shovels.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  18. Too true, too true :rolleyes:
  19. *Agreed, but I think you mean to say "isn't"
    A few points though.
    • TNT can damage or kill someone. Tools can't.
    • Mining out blocks requires more time and effort - even with Eff. tools, it's still more work to manually rip up a place than blow it up. And really, how many would-be griefers stop to enchant a set of tools, or buy them? I'm only guessing, but if you gave a griefer the option between TNT or an Eff V pick, they're gonna go for the TNT.
    • If regular members had TNT capability, you can bet TNT griefing would happen. Maybe not as badly as I envision, but the question isn't "if" it would be abused, just "how much?"
    • TNT destroys blocks. Mining blocks out doesn't necessarily destroy them, except with things like glass and glowstone (reduced dust). I put this last since the blocks usually aren't around to be picked up after an attack anyway, but it's worth noting at least.
    RainbowChin likes this.
  20. :oops:
    Kephras likes this.