The book thread.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Cordial_Pie, Feb 15, 2013.

1. This is a good thread! My favorite book of all time is The Museum of Stolen Memories by Ralf Isau. I love all books by my two favorite writters: Alberto Vázquez-Figueroa and Terry Pratchett.

The Hobbit and It are two books that also made a BIG impression in my life. And then there's an ocean of books I could drown in if I tried to put them all here that I also loved with all my might xD but if I get started, I won't stop, so those for the moment.
  2. It is only on the third issue, so I can't promise there won't be more graphic nudity. The shot where Madder Red is naked you can see everything but his face. There is this weird eunuch guy in the second and third issues. He does appear naked, but since he is a eunuch you can't see anything.
  3. It does look interesting, I might read it sometime.
    What is an eunuch?
  4. If you don't know what a eunuch is you are not old enough to read Bedlam.
    cddm95ace and PandasEatRamen like this.
  5. Probably wasn't in the first place.
    But thank you Google.
  6. I have edited in comic books into my previous post. Obviously I could not give a summary of each, but you can look them up or ask me about specific ones.
  7. Wow. I really forgot about a lot of comics…:oops:
  8. I just realized how big that list is... I am a nerd...
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  9. Hylian, I would like to know about The Walking Dead comic, The Batman comics,
    and maybe just a quick summary of the Marvel hero comics you listed.
  10. I am not your parent, and I do not know how old you are; but judging from previous posts, I do not think you are old enough to read The Walking Dead.

Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are the reason we have modern Batman. Both comics were written by Frank Miller in the 80s and I would suggest you read these first. Batman: Year One is the retelling of Batman's origin story. The Dark Knight Returns takes place in an alternate universe where Bruce Wayne stopped being Batman after the second Robin, Jason Todd, was killed by the Joker. You will many references to these in the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy.

Batman: Hush is really good, but I can't give a summary without spoiling things. So just go read it.

Batman: The Gates of Gotham is written by the guy who writes Batman currently. It is the origin story for Gotham City.

Batman: The Black Mirror is on the greatest Batman stories ever written. It is also written by the current writer of Batman. It takes place during a period where Batman is missing and Nightwing is acting as Batman. But it does have some graphic violence in it.

Batwoman: Elegy has really amazing art and a pretty sweet story. I know it isn't Batman but you should still read it. This might have some adult stuff in it, I can't remember.

Penguin: Pain and Prejudice makes the Penguin a cool character. No longer is he some campy villain, he is now like a modern day Al Capone. It also changes his origin story for the 52 reboot.

I think A Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, and Joker are all probably a little mature for you.

Recently DC comics did a reboot that started all of the comics at issue one; they are still at the same point in canon. Scott Snyder has written it since then. Issue 17 just came out. Some of the first few issues are collected the graphic novels The Court of Owls and The Night of Owls. It is freakin' awesome and you should read it. And if you like the first two story arcs go read the series Talon. It doesn't have Batman in it, but it is a spinoff of the first two Batman story arcs.

Now onto Marvel, New X-Men was written in the early 00s by Grant Morrison. A lot of the X-Men movies was based off of this. It is collected in three trade-paperbacks.

I have been reading Hawk Eye ever since the Marvel reboot. It is now on issue 7 (?). I like it because it is very funny and non-serious, but it is probably a little too adult for you.
    penfoldex likes this.
  11. .......I still respect you. XD Its alright, to each their own I guess. My favorites:

The Circle Trilogy, by Ted Dekker, teens or older, wouldn't recommend for youngon's (technically its 4 parts, but the 4th part sucked). Typical of Dekker, its just an awesome confrontation between good and evil. Kinda fantasy action.

Eragon Series, can't remember the author. Really fun books, there's dragons, fantasy, but a disappointing ending to the final book (I think there were four in total).

Sea of Trolls, also can't remember the author. Also a fantasy action, set in the Viking time period, awesome ending.

The Door Within Trilogy, by Wayne Thomas Batson, fine for younger audiences and older. Although I swear I'm not a big fantasy junkie, this is also a fantasy action series, I've read them soo many times.

The Zombie Survival Guide, Max Brookes. Just a fun read if you like zombies, really accurate and factual.

And I know everyone is going to roll their eyes at this, but the Bible is in the top as well.

Also, great idea for a thread :)
    penfoldex likes this.
  12. Thanks for looking out for me, I guess I'll just stick to the Walking Dead TV series.
    Thank you for introducing me to these comics, I will try to read them as soon as possible!
  13. No problem.
  14. Dark Horse has started to publish a Star Wars comic. It is on the second issue (I have only read the first), and it does Star Wars better than the prequel trilogy. I forgot this in my comic book post.
  15. Too tired to write a summary...
    Hunger Games, Fiction
    World War Z, Fiction
    The Changeling, I'd say fiction...but many people would group it under fantasy.
    Macbeth, fiction.
    Lord Of The Rings, Fantasy
    The Hobbit, Fantasy
    Peter Rabbit, I have no idea what this should be classed as...fiction, I guess? Also, the books are a short read, but worth it if you're into late 18th-early 19th century children's anthromorphic books about rabbits...I only like them because my mum used to read them too me when I was 3-4 years old.
  16. Y
    Your married?
    Anyway, on topic, the inheritance series. It's about a boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg, of which there are only two others in his home country, which is basically the entire world in this period of time. (9-99)