Texas schools punish students who refuse to be tracked with microchips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jeanzl2000, Oct 9, 2012.

1. I am suddenly even more grateful for how awesomeish my school is. When we want lunch we just go along and pay for our lunch. Otherwise you have a packed lunch. And we have id cards for getting stuff from the library and that is about it.
    jaqiefox and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  2. Holy hell, that is an amazing video.
  3. This got me thinking as a student. But, I'm the kind of kid who thinks about and analyzes everything, so, nothing new here.
    Cchiarell6914 likes this.
  4. Wow.
  5. It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it? Also, I tried watching another video, but it seems a bit alarmist and against, "The Man". (Also, do you like the new orange text?)
    Chascarrillo and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  6. (In response to the OP)
    If you want to change a nation, start with the children.

You're dang skippy I'm homeschooling my children when I have them.

(In response to the 'Indoc' video)
    Although, I wholeheartedly disagree about the military thing. (As a former Marine) I was taught to think for myself and question a bad idea, even if it means having consequences and the disappointment from the superiors. I believe followers learned to follow better, and the leaders learned to lead better, and sometimes- the followers learned to lead.

#mytwocents
    mba2012 and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  7. Thank you. Really, I'm not sure that we're all that awesome so much as that we actually care about our kids' futures enough not to trust the government to raise them. I know that most parents care about their kids and their kids' futures, but only as long as it's not an inconvenience.

Frankly, my wife and I just don't buy that showing up once a year to a parent-teacher conference shows an adequate level of concern about something that is OUR responsibility. We actively planned to have both of our kids with the intention that WE would be the ones who would take care of them, raise/rear them, teach them good and bad, teach them the basics about life, and love them. It just happens that we have a better grasp of encouraging our kids to learn, combined with general (and some specific) knowledge than just about any teacher I have ever met. Those things we don't know much about are easily discovered through books or online.

I've actually taught math and electronics and yet in some ways my wife is an even better teacher than I am despite her lack of experience. Also, once given the basics, most people are exceptional at teaching themselves. The biggest thing with children is that you give them the guidance, discipline (we use non-physical discipline), and encouragement to actually teach themselves.
  8. I think this quote fits: "Never follow leaders." - Grant Morrison
  9. Alright then, time for one of my rants.

Are you kidding me? We are actual living beings! Not just guinea pigs! These schools do NOT OWN US!! We are not just put onto this Earth for their benefit!! WE ARE NOT SCHOOL PROPERTY! Microchips? Are they serious? We. Are. NOT. Their. Housepets! We lead free lives, and we shouldn't have that taken from us by these idiots who want to TRACK us! I see no valid reason AT ALL why they should be TRACKING US!!!! This is so disproportional and unfair... Ugh.

I'm done. :mad:
    mba2012 and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  10. Well, that makes it just sad to think about, doesn't it? That I happen to find you to be awesome, only because by contrast most everyone else is abysmal... What you're doing (and what my wife and I plan to be doing) should really just be the norm, not the awesome exception. ;)

People don't give kids nearly enough credit. It pains me how we, as a society, treat children as though they are stupid. They really aren't. Children simply lack experience and knowledge due to having spent a shorter time alive than adults. Sure, there are actual mental developmental differences between children and adults, but they're not nearly as extreme as some people seem to think. There are actually certain mental tasks children can perform better than adults.

When it comes to children, you have to trust them in order for them to be able to fully trust themselves. If you keep constantly reinforcing the idea that they cannot be trusted, they will start internalizing that idea, and begin acting accordingly.

You want a self-sufficient, confident, competent child? Don't keep telling it that it cannot be trusted, that it needs your constant surveillance to do anything, and that it never does anything right. The worst thing you can do for anyone (including children) is to make them fear failure. You learn the most when learning through trial and error, but if you're afraid to make those mistakes, then your learning will suffer greatly. Your kid accidentally spills milk all over the floor? Don't get angry and start yelling. Just wipe it up, and trust that the kid learns on its own from making the mistake.
  11. When I went to school, I just paid the lady cash and went on my way....
    jaqiefox, mba2012 and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  12. You are awesome. I think it is also stupid that children are looked down on, made fun of, etc. Children are vital to this world. Otherwise, the human race wouldn't exist! So how do these idiots of administrators (Not like IcC and Justin-I meant school administrators) reward us children? They abuse them!

Yes, but when you went to school did anything like this happen?

For example, who heard about that girl on the news who was ALMOST KILLED because she wanted an education!?! That is just monumentally idiotic of that school to just say girls couldn't go to school. Sexist much?
    mba2012, Cchiarell6914 and alexschrod like this.
  13. As a child, I know how it feels, I hate it when people say things over and over as if I didn't understand the first time.
    Once my art teacher tried to tell this one student in my class "Tell me when its **** O'clock." And she explained how to know what time it is. We aren't in 2nd grade anymore, I wish people take my opinions into account. People say "I'm the adult" When I ask them why, I just want to have a say, maybe If adults listened more often, our country would be better for it.
    I think sometimes, children can be smarter than those small brained adults, Once again my art teacher forgets things almost instantly, I would some up to her, ask her a question, come back up about 1 minute later, she forgot what I just asked and I have to explain again.
    People that look down on me, I have a few choice words for them.
    Everyone has an opinion, and I would like it if they considered ours, too.
    P.S. Sorry for the rant.
  14. I think the reason for that can (at least mostly) be attributed to the religious nutbags who spend all their homeschooling time indoctrinating their children in their religion instead of actually teaching them useful things. Such children won't exactly turn out well no matter what scale you try to measure them on.
  15. There are things they need to learn, not a bunch of other stuff that wont help them in life, they need to know how to manage money, do simple and advanced math, Because you won't get anywhere without learning math.
  16. If you begin microchipping children now they will be more comfortable with it as adults. I'm sure we will be seeing more of this. The good news is, at least they will make us think our opinion matters -_-
  17. I suck at math. Have always sucked at math. I sometimes can't tell the time on a clock unless it's digital, suck at roman numerals, and if you give me a watch/clock that doesn't have all the numbers on it and has lines that mark them then forget it. I've always been so bad at counting money that I tend to recount it more times than I probably should just to make sure I have the amount. From the time I was in 4th grade and on through my last year of high school we had to use calculators in math and I still failed because I just can't understand how to solve the problems or if I found a way to solve it and get the right answer it was marked wrong because I didn't use the teacher's method. When I did the test to determine what classes I needed to start with in college I placed in Pre-Algebra and that still took me two years to pass and we weren't allowed to use a calculator.
  18. What I mean is, as long as you can accomplish what is needed whatever your skill at it, that is what is important.
    Hey I'm not great at math either, but I get done what needs to get done.
    Its ok to recheck, too.
    I need to recheck, It also takes me a while to read things on my watch.
    As for your teachers, well what do they no, the world doesn't do whatever they do,
    As my teacher says, as long as you get the right answer, your way is fine.
  19. Sounds like you have dyscalculia. How do you do if you have a calculator at your disposal? Oh, and who gives a damn about roman numerals? One of the silliest numeral systems invented. :p
  20. we have to scan are fingers