Temporaly disable/slow hoppers to help the tps

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Envine, Mar 22, 2020.

1. So all the smps are laggy because of performance issues and hoppers are apart of the problem along with exploration.
    Can we temporally disable or slow them until server side performance issues are resolved as some players are probably still running some of their farms
    Cyberazaz101 likes this.
  2. As much as I love my farms, (I've turned off all the ones I actually can turn off) I agree we should slow hoppers, but not outright disable them if that's possible. While this may not be the best solution to hoppers it's better than the server being completely unplayable due to TPS lag.
  3. I've turned off all of my farms, but the tps still seems to be iffy. It may just be players exploring or so many new chunks being loaded at once
    607, TheFryedmans and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  4. I agree with Skiddy, I doubt that shutting off all hoppers on EMC will restore the TPS to a solid 20. Personally, I think it's just the nature of Minecraft post 1.12. This may be the new norm, and we may just have to accept it.
  5. But it seems odd some servers are way more delayed than others. smp6 seems to have minor lag vs other servers.. and it's not the number of players online.
    607 likes this.
  6. Would there be a way we could help fund a physical upgrade to the existing servers to help add more memory/get whole new servers? I would gladly give some money to help out.
    FadedMartian and 607 like this.
  7. It could be, wouldn’t have to wait till chickeneer or Akair confirm. I do feel like hoppers are apart of of issue because once the nightly reboot occurs servers stop lagging completely.
  8. Yeah it seems to go from server to server, then it has lag spikes even once at 20tps until the reboot
    Supporting the server.
  9. Well yeah, but I meant like a dedicated call for funds or something along those lines. So money for that would go to upgrades not just maintenance.
    607 likes this.
  10. You sadly can't just throw money at servers and make them faster.

The only way to go to the extremes of cpu clock boosting is go to with desktop level CPU's, which we can not do (we use professional grade servers, can't go fitting high end CPUs with giant heat sinks in 1U Rack Mounted servers)

It's not a hardware issue. It's a "The game is being developed by amateurs writing really bad code" problem.
    This isn't an easy problem to fix.

Hoppers are a significant chunk, but so is movement and chunk loading in general.
    Then overall the memory PRESSURE is high (we have way more memory than anyone would say we even need). The server generates a lot of garbage now.

There's some improvements one of my peers in the community have made we will try to get vetted and in soon.

But the parts that players got to help out on is movement SPEED (I've seen players in minecarts causing lag riding fast), and farms in general.
    jacob5089, FadedMartian, 607 and 6 others like this.
  11. Do hoppers eat performance even if idle (no items inside nor above them)?
  12. Go to 9192 Smp4. Literally thousands of hoppers beyond imagination below and above their floating platform
    SkareCboi likes this.
  13. just saw it
    insane
    half of them dont seem to be used
  14. I know there are ways to see how many milliseconds of each tick are going to what blocks and entities and stuff, can you tell us exactly which blocks in farms are the real offenders? I know hoppers are usually bad, but also redstone dust is considered bad, and sometimes even pistons and redstone torches. Should we try to avoid those as well?
    607 likes this.
  15. Aikar didn't mention it before but he did slow the hoppers down when they were introduced. Here's a quote back in 2015 already pointing out that Aikar has already dealt with this in the past.
    So far that has worked until 2020 with the release of 1.15. I firmly believe Aikar this time that it's a coding issue.
    SkareCboi, __Devil_ and 607 like this.
  16. while 1.15.2 is nice, i have a hard time even wanting to play when i cannot even ride a flippin minecart without the TPS going down to 4, and starting to kick everyone
    Cyberazaz101 and 607 like this.