[Suggestion] Vault in Wild (Empire Special Item)

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by PenguinDJ, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rare drops from enraged Marlix and momentus
    Yes.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  2. Yes.

I this is what I need... might even start playing MC again if this happens..
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  3. Love idea
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  4. You've heard about ender chest, of course :)
    What would be different with this vault?
    What would you expect to be typical usage?
    5chris100 likes this.
  5. Yeah what about ender chests. That takes away the whole idea.
  6. Well, wild vaults have limited uses so people would use them wisely and enderchest is kind of expensive, you place it and when you pick it up without silk, it is pretty much 8 obsidian
  7. K
    The thing is, vault is cross server. So you go mining on smp2 and take the items out of the vault on smp8. Withough going back to town on smp2. Enderchest is not cross server, so you'd have to go back to town to get your items then vault them to smp8.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  8. no, once you run out of uses you have to find or buy another voucher i dont think this is balanced otherwise. keeps the risk of not being able to access stuff when you run out. which means you dont use that secondary vault as permanent storage
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  9. I'm against the idea in principle - "vault is a town utility and should stay that way" in my own opinion.
    But I will concede you've clearly thought this through and I think having a rare voucher / limited use is a very acceptable way to balance it. I'm not going to say it's a "good" idea but it's definitely the best one I've heard regarding /vault in the wild.
  10. Ooh, someone made something in NBT Edit! Let's look, shall we?
    ._____________________________________________.

This is a really good idea! *high fives* Except for one thing, as some people have addressed above. Cross-server accessing. Would it be exclusive to each wild? Or would it be cross-server? If it was cross-server, then I can, for example, be at a mob grinder on SMP3 and in town on SMP2, then vault the goodies from SMP3 and bring it to SMP2. And with the 200 accesses/voucher, I would get 100 single chests (50 dc's to auction) and make tons of money. :l
    PenguinDJ and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  11. I guess each transport (2 uses) would save 10 minutes in average, so it would be worth around 700-900 r for experienced players. 200 uses = 100 transports = around 80,000 r,
    profit = around (800 - 110) * 100 = around 69,000 r

But the actual profit would highly depend on style of playing and I guess that the average profit would be way smaller.

I think the best use for it would be for people who are really far out on one or more servers, where traveling back to the town to get supplies is out of question.

To be completely cost-neutral and only really usable if you're far out, this 27-stacks vault would need to cost around 750 r to open in the wilderness.

@SkyDragonv8: Ender chests are not expensive (compare around 80r for ender chest with suggested 100r to open the vault in the wild), and even if you don't carry silk touch pick (which you should), en ender eye costs like 1r.
    PenguinDJ and DemonThunder345 like this.
  12. That's why I always have a silk touch pick in my Ender Chest. ;)
    rman92011 likes this.
  13. I like this idea. Maybe it should be just per server, to act as extra storage. And maybe when opening it in town, it would charge you 20-30r instead of using up a use.
  14. that would defeat the purpose of the uses then the uses are to deter people from transporting swaths of wild loot to and fro without consequence
    PenguinDJ, mba2012 and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  15. This draws an obligatory question: ;)
    Why would we want to deter people from transporting swaths of wild loot without consequence?
    :)

To use such wild vault for extra storage just like that would be too expensive.
    We already have Wastelands, so travel to get to a mining site or hunting area is not an issue any more.

Where travel is still needed is to get to/from an outpost, to get really far out or to get to/from a grinder.
    Or, still, travel to a mining or hunting site for those living far out.

The significant impacts of a wild vault (AFAICS) would be
    - reducing travel to/from a grinder / outpost - well, why not? (It could be cost-neutral)
    - reducing travel for people living far out, which would be kind of fair, because they can not use wastelands

Minor impacts:
    - reducing travel on mining and hunting trips for people using town(s), which is minimal due to wastelands
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  16. because minecraft was designed to have an element of risk, in fact if you think about it mojang designed servers with griefing and mob damage in mind. being able to transport a dc and a half without any level of risk from 100k out is breaking the system just as much as doing it from 1 block out (although idk why anyone would use it that close but the point remains).

thus the point of limiting "uses" on this particular type of vault it should be rare enough where you arent constantly using it and have to ration out your uses between finding a new voucher. putting a rupee value to it makes it unfair on two accounts, one being that supporters (as we have surmised form other threads) seemingly have unlimited access to it since they all are purportedly rich; and the other being that veterans also would be able to capitalize upon this feature. the idea posed in the op would make it fair and balanced
    PenguinDJ, mba2012 and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  17. Dragon Tombs?
  18. An Soon-To-Come* update that they told us about a while ago. ( EMC Update )

*Not probably soon
    5chris100 likes this.
  19. Feature that is almost a year late...
    5chris100, PenguinDJ and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  20. True, although I'd say minecraft is a sandbox game in the first place. Mobs are - in my eyes - more "natural enemy" then a griefer.

It would be one DC - 27-stacks ender chest + 27-stacks vault.
    IIUC, you're saying that making that tiny trip needed to hunt or mine in Wastelands easier would still be kind of "breaking the system" ("although idk why anyone would use it...")

BTW, I'm not advocating that wild vault, I'm just thinking about it :)

This is a very interesting topic (about causes and effects of free rupees, perhaps for another thread).
    There is an important and significant (both active and latent) imbalance caused by free rupees, but I think you can't really use that as argument on a specific issue like this one.
    No matter who finds vouchers, within hours you would have auctions with them. So it's rupees anyway.
    (The issue is completely different for people living very far out, but I guess that is under 1% of the population.)

You mean because they could afford it and invest - and use it, while new players couldn't because they are poor?
    Or, that a new tool like this would be of more use to experienced players (but this has nothing to do with rupees)?
    I don't think that would be a valid argument either.
    A new (but skilled) player can make 20-30k (at least) within a weekend.
    PenguinDJ and bitemenow15 like this.