{Suggestion} Reset 4k out in the Frontier

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by finch_rocks_1, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Reset 4k out from each outpost and spawn in the Wild Frontier?

Yes 11 vote(s) 30.6%
No 18 vote(s) 50.0%
Not Sure 7 vote(s) 19.4%
  1. So, just how long do you think it would remain "beautiful" within +-400 blocks from spawn? Not very long, in my estimation, due to the proximity of new materials. There has been at least one reset previously and look at the state of the land near spawn now! If you want "beauty" just travel out in any direction for 500 or so blocks and you will find still virgin territory :)
  2. The majority of peoples outposts and bases are (unfortunately) located within 4,000 blocks of spawn. The wastelands were created to guarantee that the wilderness would NEVER be reset.

Resetting of the areas nearish to spawn would be a good idea, but beyond that is not necessary.
    wisepsn, ZBSDKryten and Olaf_C like this.
  3. Yes to a reset, no to 4k. I was going to bring up the "Periodic Reset Areas" except that my latest look at the livemap shows, they no longer exist...
    Used to be, anything within about 500 blocks of the "Protected" area had a box around it on the livemap showing it as PRA, which implied that it would get reset on occasion.

Honestly, much as I love the wilderness I'm all in favor of a total reset happening since 1.7 screwed up the biome generation with new biomes again. But as we've sworn off total resets entirely, a small regional reset / repair would be wonderful.
    Sadly, I don't see this happening outside server-specific restoration projects.
    607 and mba2012 like this.
  4. if there arent goign to be anymore resets can we atleast get rid of the wool boxes around utopian spawns?
  5. Still building on my city. but its better idea when i can go back to town to just restore the land. but not mucvh spare right now. If we all place some blocks back, its looking nice at the end again.
  6. This. The wastelands was made pacifically for:

• More resources for new updates.
    • Mining and getting materials.
    • And for wilderness to never have to be reset again.
  7. I'm not too much of a wild person, but when I do go to the wild, it does look messed up. I would reset, but a much smaller area, as I have seen lots of buildings closer to the spawn.
  8. Although noone likes to see their previous creations destroyed, it's good to have change forced on you once in awhile. I can't say I whole-heartedly support a total reset, but I definately agree that there some areas in the Frontier that just look messed up due to updated biome creation. I recently ran into this and my first thought was "Oh, no problem, I could just work at 'softening' those hard-edged areas," just like others have worked at restoring certain portions around spawns. But then as I continued in my travels I realized this would involve thousands of blocks in perimeter of just this one particular "problem" area. This would just be too time consuming.

If this type of reset were to occur I think it would have to be a complete reset, across all wasteland and frontier servers, with plenty of notice so that people could salvage what they wanted from their outposts. It would make the most sense after another major update from Mojang And EMC.

Another thought that occured to me and this one is probably just as controvertial, although perhaps less destructive. I don't know if this would even be possible and it would still mess with people's existing creations from a coordinates standpoint while not clearing up the glitches from biome generation. Push all existing lands in the Frontier out by a certain number of blocks and insert new fresh blocks surrounding all spawn points.

This would be especially tricky since there is more than one spawn site, so perhaps not a do-able fix. Plus, the particulars of coding that sort of thing might be tricky without creating yet more glitches between existing land and newly created terrain.

The only other crazy thing I can think of would be to do a "rolling reset." I.E. reset Frontier land, but in waves, with expected reset areas clearly marked on the LiveMap. Then people who are located further from spawn wouldn't have to worry about carting materials from their dismantled bases all the way to town before re-establishing themselves in the Frontier. They would just have to relocate a short distance, then if they still wanted to have an outpost located further out, they would have to move materials back the other direction. I'd like to think that special chests could be set up to allow outpost owners to store unlimited materials temporarily until after a reset of this type, but sadly I think it could be taken advantage of for personal gain too easily.

I think overall the most reasonable thing is to continue resetting land within a sensible circumference of all spawns. Give people plenty of warning, so that builds within that area can have time to relocate.
  9. I see people going both ways on resetting or not resetting and distance and everything of the sort. I will suggest just a few ideas here that are a bit different and see if this can help move the discussion forward.

1) What if just new wildernesses were created, not the nether just the wilderness. This new wilderness would be freshly created with all the newest and fixed biomes. New rules could be set up on how spawn is handled, such as no build a little bit further out, then no creeper/enderman damage for an even further little distance out. This would keep the spawn points clean and fresh looking at all times. From there people can either choose to stay on the old or move to the new.

2) Something else that may be neat or helpful, is once the new land claim system is completely in the game and hashed out (aka running smoothly) maybe make areas that aren't claimed reset/default after X amount of days. This means that you can go out and claim and area and build, everything that gets mucked up around your claim will just reset after a few days.

3) A similar system to Derelict resses could be put into play. Where if you go and do a bunch of stuff in the wilderness but never login again it will reset all that stuff to default. This would keep the wilderness always fresh with current running projects and not projects that died out long ago but are taking up some sweet real estate.

Anyway just some basic ideas, I don't play in the wilderness at all so I don't really stay up to date with it all or follow how things work. Was mainly just trying to throw some things around for people to think about or improve upon.

But I do know that just blindly wiping X amount of space is a pretty iffy idea. Without any restrictions and just blinding wiping a huge area could wipe out things people have built underground or that are close by to spawn. Just because over time the top layer has got mucked up there is no reason to go in and destroy valid and active projects/work.
  10. I think this is the best idea yet. This would give existing communities ample opportunity to scout and set-up new locations to move their outposts to the new servers. As it would probably be too much to expect the old servers to be kept active indefinitely, they would have to eventually move or abandon their existing builds. This would be a little sad, but as every "creator" knows, there are always improvements to be made and a fresh start isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sorry, but this has "Exploit Me!" written all over it. Players could go out and strip an area of resources, then expect it to be reset within the week. You would end up with the same problem all over again of areas being torn asunder under the premise of "It doesn't matter, it will reset."

Sadly, not all of us get to log-on every day... or week... or month!
    I went through a 6 month period recently where my wife had severe health problems and I didn't have regular internet access at our home. You want to punish me for that!

No, I know you don't, but you get the point.

Another good example is: I still play MUD text games. Most of the MUDs I have played have a policy where your character (and everything you've achieved!) gets wiped out if you don't log on in a certain period of time. This annoys me to no end. I can sometimes go for months without having the time or motivation to log on to a particular game. But there is one MUD where that never happens. It has been more than 7 years, and no matter how inactive I have been, I can always depend on my character and whatever he has accomplished still being there, unless other players have altered it in some way!

My point is, players shouldn't be punished for not being active. If other active players want to alter something in their extended absence, that's one thing, but just re-setting an area could just discourage players who have been away from EMC from coming back and enjoying picking up where they left off. If you stumble across their hole in the ground or cobble hut, it may not seem like much to you, but it may be all they have!

Thanks for sharing your feedback though, and I really like #1!

P.S. Who does #2 work for?!
  11. the problem with this debate is the following:
    there are many good reasons to reset portions or even the entire wild, old broken code that has to be fixed through workarounds, or just ignored (witchhuts anyone?), ugly landscaping, dangerous terrain, intentionally laggy builds left over from long gone players, the list is long.
    the argument against that is considerable simpler "i built things there so no" thats it, the entire argument summed up in a tiny sentence. somehow it counters the good ideas and well being of the entire first side or the debate in an irresolute way.

ive never seen a solution for it either so i think until some piece of code breaks everything so bad that a reset is forced upon us it simply isnt going to happen.
    607 and ZBSDKryten like this.
  12. If another reset took place, I don't think I'd bother coming back to the Empire, and I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other wilderness dwellers would feel the same. I've been through it once before and that was acceptable (just) but not again. :(
    jkjkjk182 and mba2012 like this.
  13. Changeing a bit my mind about frontier reset. but just and still spending lots of time in building city.
    it cost you many hours.

If that would happen, its only possible if EMC donate the city / outpost owners lots of ..

-silk touch diamond iron picks.
    -diamond spades
    -good trtansportation to spawn.
    -and lots of storage space to store the broken down buildings. and possible like glass replacement sand/glass.

This sound more usefull and logic. offcorse you still keep the problem with moveing the resources and tools to mine it back. But its a much better option then changeing existing frontier. Also its maby better to create a new outpost rule. something like this.

-Outpost should be more than 5,000 blocks from the EMC frontier outposts and more than 3,000 blocks from any visually established base.

-City's should be more than than 5,000 blocks from the EMC frontier outposts and more than 5000 blocks from any visually established base established city.

-other nice rule, respect wilderness nature.

Why a seperate rule for city's. its nice to have city's closer to each othe, but also protected under outpost rules. But the can connect and have transportation to each other because its 1000 blocks to other city or more offcorse. that makes things more fun. you can always have a city and outpost :O

And we forget another important thingh, all the lcoked chests and egg that need to be made.
    thats can be expensive process.
  14. The wild needs a huge community clean-up, not a reset.
  15. Agree with that, and what i understand. new black area's get the latest items when you discover it.
    Like someone sayed before. in some time around my city i go shape ugly islands more and better.