[SUGGESTION] New Mob - Fire-Hen

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Perry_Stahlsis, Mar 20, 2015.

?

Would you like to see this creature added to the nether?

Yes 11 vote(s) 45.8%
No 13 vote(s) 54.2%
  1. I like it! Although with my luck , I'll run into these demons every other day...
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  2. Oh, one other thing not pointed out in the discussions or field guide. For combat purposes, one hit one kill, just like a regular chicken.
  3. Unless you're taking their eggs they're neutral. So long as you're not touching them, or messing with their eggs, you won't be hurt by their fire. And of course if you can douse their flames... perhaps with strategically placed cauldrons of water... maybe the fire will be nothing to worry about... Imagine a pen of 8 of these in the nether... Actually that's a scary thought if you're walking inside of the pen... better yet imagine each one confined to its own pen...
  4. Will their eggs be in nests? I think that could be Non-vanilla...
  5. No. For the very reason you cited. (unless people were willing to consider bowls "nests" just because the name says "nest"... But that would be very cheesy. I'd only laugh a handful of times then wonder why there is even a nest.)
  6. Yes, this is not an enraged mob. (I don't think so at least.)
  7. It appears to be exactly like one... it's like a nether hound but in chicken form :confused:
  8. If I can do this in Skript (which I can - partially), Aikar and Chickeneer can do it in Java.
    nfell2009 likes this.
  9. Skript ftw <3 Could remade the whole of EMC by now ;)
  10. Actually this one is more like an enderman or zombie pigman. It's neutral until you do something to anger it (Steal an egg). But unlike either the anger stops the instant you undo that something (drop the egg). The only resemblance to a nether hound is being cloaked in fire.

EDIT: Additionally these wouldn't summon new hens, as previously discussed.
  11. Yep. I"m aware of that thread. This isn't an enraged mob. It's different in important ways. Enraged Mobs are tougher to kill than their base. Not this one. The danger is in them surrounding you. Neutral until you anger it. Neutral once you stop angering it. Enraged mobs are only neutral with a low difficulty setting on the player. This mob would not abide that setting.... which is sensible since unless you steal an egg, a rare drop, you're fine ... so long as you don't touch them. Far safer and easier to avoid, as individuals, than magma cubes or whatever they are.
  12. I love your optimism and faith in these two awesome guys and I'll leave it to them to have the final say about feasibility.

However, As I've indicated other posts you might be unaware of, I've looked at some of the Minecraft decompiled code and there are serious issues with how it was written. These issues could, and often do, translate into unforseen problems when adding to a codebase. I've been at this career for over 25 years now. So trust me when I tell you it's not always that simple to take what was done in [sic] skript and put int into Java on a multi-user system that's already under heavy load (for how it was originally written). :)

Aikar and chickeneer have the knowledge necessary to evaluate the actual feasibility. You and I don't.

EDIT: And I think it's cool that you thought enough about this to figure out you could make some of it in skript. :)
  13. *sorry for jumping*,
    The whole way Minecraft has been programmed in quite a shocking way to say the least. Mobs have only just got a real update (1.7 or 1.8? Cannot remember), and still function poorly. Luckily a new API has been bought into them but the whole 1.8 update is again, shocking.

The best EMC and well, Aikar, can do is modify Spigot to the best of his ability, but even then there are limitations in what can be done due to Mojang's lack of future planning. The developers of Minecraft do seem to lack effort anymore. Updates come out just to add new things to the game, rather than fixing performance issues. Even promises they make don't come through. Dinnerbone said he'd update Bukkit to 1.8. That hasn't happened yet. Spigot is doing a lot better, and it isn't even made by a dedicated team, but a team of people who do it in their free time.

Sponge is looking good, but no where near a standard of playability. There have been releases of it but it still lacks in many aspects which are required for a good server jar, especially in comparison to Spigot. With all the stuff going around about Forge and so many other things in relation to Sponge, I do question is solidity of the promises made by the developers.

The overall sound of it seems pretty reasonable and easy to do. The looking at it may not be able to be done without affect server performance as I'm not sure what ways there are to detect when a player looks at a mob without constantly check their line of sight.

Skript is a great plugin for getting something in basic before porting it over to Java. I have used it many times before and found it very handy.

I don't see this idea happening until enraged mobs have happened, and then, it may not happen if it proves too difficult to have so many custom mobs running around the place. While the idea seems alright, you have to be careful not to have too many mobs going around. This can be very confusing to new players who may be scared off by the all these mobs.
  14. What would the new Fire-hen drop when killed?
  15. Yes indeed. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes that. If I were in charge of that codebase and given the time why I would... /endrantbeforeitgoesoffthedeepend.

If you would like I can send you a PM with links to the behind the scenes drama on why that's the case. I read up on it and shook my head in severe disappointment at all parties involved.

I've heard this before. I truly hope it catches up and surpasses where Bukkit left off. (And apparently will remain for eternity)

I share these same concerns which is why I cited the Enderman. It depends on that happening, and well seems way more complex than what I proposed. But you seem like a coder and if you are you are well aware that not everything is as simple as it seems once you step through the looking glass or go down the rabbit hole as the case may be with MC.

Oh cool! I thought it was an intentional mispelling. :) Thank for clearing that up. I'll need to look into it.

Me either, but if the community loved the idea (it does not) then I figured having it on the drawing board early was better than late. :)
  16. Still up for discussion. Some suggestions include diamonds, but since you can make them reproduce by feeding them gold nuggets I think gold ingots would make more sense. :)
  17. Haha yeah. I think we can all agree that MC is very poor. The 1.8 API doesn't look too bad to be honest.

Sure! I love keeping up with the goss ;)

Spigot is already doing that in a sense. Sponge is meant to be a clean form of server jar. Using an API system designed around the community and using no code that caused the DMCA problems before.

Endermen are tricky enough. I'm not sure how they even detect them being looked at. Must be some weird form of code.

Actual plugin! http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/skript/

Talking about it has helped my decision a bit more towards it, but being honest, it's just gonna get added to the ever growing to-do list...
  18. Yeah, I know, and it was fun to write up. :)
    SheIsNice likes this.
  19. Just want to call you out on this part...

Minecraft was written poorly. It was written in Java (back when Java wasn't as good as it is now for games) by a guy who writes tacky code, supported by other people who write in tacky code also.

I have made multiple Bukkit (although I've only ever used Spigot as an external library) plugins (only one of which is actually being used for something and the other dozen have never been released) and Minecraft mods (only one of which has been released :p) - I think I have a say in what is feasible in Minecraft and what is not, don't you? I think that your idea is feasible in Java/Spigot. I can't say I know how to do it, but I could probably find a way.
    Oh, no, I didn't.

I just like making custom mobs in Skript when I get bored :p