[Suggestion] Make supporter status more obvious

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Controversial suggestion for sure.

Yes, staff members got a nice * behind their name and if you press tab it explains it. But bottom line: nothing changed. Now, there is fun to this, it's been a running joke for a long time now: "get supporter, play staff in the early hours" but as soon as that joke started to gain momentum the * happened.

Yet nothing changed...

Sorry for those who liked it but for me (personally) it's getting awkward. Seriously.. I've been mistaken for staff just one too many times and I can't help think that it's not being made obvious enough. I base my conclusion on the fact that I had yet again explain that I was honestly not staff. I'm not joking here.

Instead of focussing on those players which you hardly see (I'm not trying to be negative; let's be honest.. plenty of SMP's hardly see any staff online at all, so what's the added value of the * there?) my suggestion is to focus on those who you do see online.

Suggestion: instead of focussing on * = staff, make it more clear that "any colour but green is NOT staff". Think this through... I mean seriously: what are the odds that new players get to see staff or a supporter?

No: I am not trying to be negative here. But honestly.. the stuff I could have pulled off if my mindset wasn't straight. That kind of worries bothers me (honest).
    SkareCboi, 607, BenMA and 2 others like this.
  2. What does the title have to do with removing staff's star?

Star makes convos in town chat more clear(if you you talking to staff about something). Now you gonna say, those could be put in PM, but im talking about General Concerns which every1 should not be restricted to know the answer)

I haven't herd about that misconception of All colors are staff, but well....
  3. This I agree I have been mistaken for staff as well at times
    But the Golden star does help identify staff
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. No we should not make supporter more obvious because the ones who buy supporter does not mean there any more special then someone who are not, all players should be equal and some may wish to be Gold/Iron/Diamond Supporter to support the server and get benefits, and thats up to there wishes for what they want to do with there money.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. I think the suggestion is asking for a greater distinction between staff and supporters. Nowhere did he say make supporters more important.
  6. Wither caught it. Sorry for being too vague but: supporters get very often mistaken for staff. In my case too often for my comfort. I believe the star was introduced to counter that but I never saw a real change happening.

As such my suggestion: make it more obvious that green = staff and other colors = supporter.

A lot of new players approach EMC with: "other color than white = special, so must be staff".
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. But how would you want to do that? Not by removing supporters' colours, right?
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  8. -1
    I've never heard the running joke or seen anyone try to play staff. I also had gold for over a year straight and never got asked once if I was staff. If I was, it wouldn't be too difficult to type "no". I would guess that you get asked because of the way you talk/explain things.
    cj12115, 607, ShelLuser and 5 others like this.
  9. When i joined i thought diamond supporters where staff
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Never heard that one besides in your threads, and told by you only.

Nor have I ever seen anyone with supporter be mistaken for a staff member.

I think the green and the star makes it far beyond obvious. Anything else would be ridiculous. The focus has always been 'any colour besides green isn't staff', and I really don't understand where you come from when you say that should be focused more on.

11. This this this this this. I have seen normal players get asked if they are staff because of how they portray themselves. Not only that, but when you regularly help people and offer advice, it is not unreasonable for a newer player to associate that reputation with being staff. Yes, there definitely are people who think that colored name = staff, but they are almost immediately corrected. The problem is that the people who think this often are the ones who aren't paying much attention to what is in front of them as is, so adding in more visual ques won't necessarily do anything positive.
    607, ShelLuser, Equinox_Boss and 9 others like this.
  12. Aikar, Krysyy, Myself and JesusPower2 must not be staff in your view as we do not have green names.

~ * MrSocks75
    TomvanWijnen, 607, ErikSatie and 7 others like this.
  13. I think what he meant. Was that you all are more on the technical side as opposed to the daily mod tasks taking by those with a green name. You guys with the deep blue and the ultra purple. Are't seen as often as a green tag. Which apparently needs a greater distinction between staff and player.

I have seen fresh kids come to the playground and ask if someone is staff. I don't think anything in game need change to make this known. Rather a bigger emphases in the tutorial than just a colored sign with title on it. When asked if they'll follow server rules.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  14. Yo Can I get neon flashing lights for Build Team? (would be dope)
  15. I dont see an issue, as most of the time its players that ask simple questions like, Where do I get mats, or how do i join someone else, or how do i give perms?

Anything that requires, you can easily say, Talk to a staff, You can see any online with /staff or use the /report command.

What you are saying is even supporters can not help players if they have a question or need help... and only staff can...
    abYoshi and Equinox_Boss like this.
  16. nothing but removing the name color is ever going to help it... and were not doing that.
    TomvanWijnen, 607, ShelLuser and 4 others like this.
  17. Maybe Make this room better:

I know krysyy was planning to do a new tutorial cause she asked for question like 3 months ago, but maybe Wool isn't the best way to resemble staff. I think I a different room that had floating names over it with the respective colors, but who knows... Might have been dreaming.

*Psst Maxarias is still community manager in this room***
  18. Hey, that reminds me of something: my alt has been mistaken for staff before. Without any fancy colour at all. So it might be more about the way you act than the way your name appears. And then, I guess you being taken for staff is actually quite a good sign. ;)
  19. It's a simple fact, we are different than other servers.

Other servers look like:
    [UBER] <ADMIN> {STAFF} ::DEV:: <xX0OUb3rL33TOoXx> HEY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Our chat confuses them being clean, but we aren't changing it.
    ShelLuser, jkjkjk182, 607 and 4 others like this.
  20. yo I'd like UBER next to my name plox. (would be dope)
    finch_rocks_1 likes this.