Suggestion: /mail preview

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by neonkillah, Jul 20, 2015.

?

Good idea? Please read the post, and reply why you voted for whichever. Non-reply votes=disreguarded

Yeah man pretty good 27 vote(s) 87.1%
Could be improved 2 vote(s) 6.5%
I don't see a need for it 2 vote(s) 6.5%
  1. A player-inserted subject is not guaranteed to be what's actually inside of the mail. I know that when I send an auction winner their winnings, I don't type my subject as, "One beacon, four enchanted pickes (2 Fort III eff V unb III, 2 silk I eff V, unb III), stack of gapples". I usually just type something quick and easy like "Congrats!" or "Auction winnings"
    EDIT: I just reread this a few seconds after I posted, and I understand what you meant now, I think. I'm still going to leave that response up though, because it does hold value.
    I don't fully understand this counterargument.. I don't find the EMC mail system very comparable to real-life mail. If it were anything, it'd be like gmail, but you open up an email and you get a box in real-life, only in your house, though. Now, I'm gonna make an overly complex scenario with this gmail idea in mind :p

1: I'm on vacation, away from my house for the next month or so.
    2: I order something, say a new grill, from eBay. But let's say some shotty eBay, that's not guaranteed to send what you ordered (Because no video game player is 100% guaranteed to actually send me the right product)
    3: I get the instapackage in my gmail. As I know, I can't receive the package. But I also can't see if the grill that I ordered is even a grill.
    4: When I get back from my vacation a few months later, I open the package. Boom, not a grill. The person on eBay who sold it to me disconnected permanently four weeks ago, and I can't get any sort of refund or sense of justice, because I wasn't able to just take a little peek at the contents.

Probably-weak scenario over.

Anyways, it's still not designed to be used as storage. You can't send mail to yourself. In fact, people able to see what I have in my mail lets me prioritize when I should open things. If you don't want us to have a whole GUI pop up, there could at least be a list content command. There's a lot of scenarios where this could help players in the future, but listing them all would be a bit excessive.
    607 likes this.
  2. literally nothing has to change except when in the wild where you cant open mail instead of saying you cant open this in the wild it would say you cant retrieve this in the wild and just be like a preview chest instead of a single chest row.
    607, ThaKloned and neonkillah like this.
  3. This is actually a lot simpler than I was thinking, haha. That is a really good one. So you're suggesting that the /get mail x command, when used in the wild, displays a gui of the contents and nothing else? Because that's simple. o3o
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  4. Well, we are intending to allow mail in the wild in the future with restrictions... But I guess this idea isn't really unheard of but like chicken said we don't want to encourage people to use it for storage.
    ShelLuser and neonkillah like this.
  5. you cant send mails in the wild anyways...so the instance where this is useful couldnt even be used as storage?
    if you are in town you can use mails as storage anyways so i dont really understand where the idea of storage is coming from, this idea is only really useful for the wild, since vault is cheaper and can be used in town
    neonkillah and 607 like this.
  6. I completely understand the usefulness factor for when dealing with checking if someone sent you the correct item. I don't think this would be abused for storage because of the cost.

HOWEVER, I do think it ranks behind some of the more important changes on the table atm and it would be a while before seeing this come to fruition.
  7. I wouldn't see it specifically as a storage more as a Preview of that specific mailed item and maybe it could be used to allow players to choose which mail they would receive first before something i think thats more on the lines he was getting on
    neonkillah and 607 like this.
  8. You already have to pay to send mail but what if it charged you to check mail in the wild? That should discourage people from using it as storage. Just an idea.
    Actually you can. I did it yesterday. Since you can't put maps into vaults I mailed it to myself (don't try this, it messes up your map), but my point is people could use it as storage.
    neonkillah likes this.
  9. Yes. I got mail today and had to go over to smp5 to open it. +6
    neonkillah likes this.
  10. Yea a 50 ruppee per open storage not everyone could afford that haha
    neonkillah likes this.
  11. The only thing I don't fully understand is why hopping to another server would be such a big issue? You hop, you get and check the items, optionally you dump 'm in your /vault and you're on your way again.

Note: I'm not judging here, just wondering what the big barrier is to simply hop onto another server.
    fishmeal, neonkillah and 607 like this.
  12. its been said before, alot of people spent time keeping a chunk loaded, hopping shouldnt be necessary
    neonkillah and PenguinDJ like this.
  13. Sure, but if that is the only reason then I think it's a slippery slope you're on.

Why shouldn't it be necessary? I mean; I can see that people want to keep their chunk loaded because stuff happens on it (like farms). But playing a game is also about choices; you have mail so.. are you going to check your mail or are you going to keep your farm running for just a little longer?

I can't help run a parallel with my own mail. That is: snail mail, not e-mail. Just like I can't check EMC mail while outside of town I also have to go home to check my IRL mail. Those guys don't deliver just anywhere ;)

Now, I do understand that it would make the game easier, but what I don't understand is the why. What's the big deal of hopping out, then coming back after which your chunk gets reloaded and process will continue to go as it was before?

Vanilla MC is all about chunks getting unloaded and (re) loaded again at a later time.

And I mention a slippery slope because I cannot help wonder what might be next. I mean; if we would reach this point then well; how long before we'll get suggestions which go: "We should be able to access our mail in the wild. Considering that we can already check the global contents of our mail it shouldn't be necessary to go all the way back to town to open it.".

That's the problem with some suggestions; they can open up the way for others. And IMO this is one of them.
    neonkillah likes this.
  14. The barrier is that people might not have enough vault space so they think they will remember which server they opened their mail at lets say it was a promo and they want it on smp2 and it was a stuck somewheres else. They would have to go server jumping to try to find it
    neonkillah likes this.
  15. except diamond supporters have been supposed to open mail in the wild for about 3 months now. the only slippery slope is making people sign out to access content in a server you are already on, it would be like forcing you to log out to get voting rewards. theres many reasons people need to see their mail, such as auctions, friends just trolling you, donations, directions to outposts and more i cant think of right now. how is it a slippery slope to not require people to exit the game to do things in the game they were just in, and yes switching servers is exiting the game bungee just streamlines it. comparing in game mail to snail mail is a non sequitur, they arent related because you are sending an item to a person physically and not an address a better more realistic comparison would be someone runs up and hands you an item in a box and then says you have to be in another town to open it. as far as the "why" the why is irrelevant emc is play your way no? so my way and the other people suggesting and liking this is not having to switch servers to see the contents of your mail. i invest time keeping my chunks loaded time of me standing there active waiting for the entcoutn to fill up and spamming /entcount every 5 or so minutes why is your time more important then mine?

for your last statement the argument is null, you cant not improve the server because others might make suggestions on the improvement, thats backwards thinking.we wouldnt have wastelands if that was the case.
  16. But.. there is going to be opening mail in the wild. And for the people who can't after that update (I'm assuming non-supporters and iron supporters won't be able to), they can still see what they got, but not open it.
    I don't think that this would make an enormous change in how the mail system works. And again, I don't think that the EMC mail should be related to real-life mail. We don't suddenly get pings in the real world when we get mail, and we have to usually walk outside to get said mail, lol.

Also, server hopping isn't a fun experience to go through. I can't tell you how many times I've hopped servers continuously to look for one diddly-darned item..
    /smp1
    Check inventory, nope
    /smp2
    Check inventory, nope
    /smp3
    Check inventory, nope
    /smp4
    Check inventory, nope
    /smp5
    Check inventory, nope
    /smp6
    Check inventory, nope