[Suggestion] [ LOCKED ] Signs Revamp

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by neonkillah, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMC is a community-based server, which doesn't tolerate stealing. Unless, of course, you don't pay 1,000 rupees (per chest) and nobody sees the guy.

I've had temporary bases set up before. I don't like placing down lock signs, because I'll always end up using the chests temporarily for a week before I can set up a real storage location in my base, losing at -least- 500+ rupees because of it.

More than once, I've had those chests raided, and staff (politely) say, "We can't do anything because this wasn't protected".

I don't forego locking my chests because I think it's fun to be risky. I forego locking my chests because it's an inefficient, costly, and painstaking waste of my time.

You may be thinking to yourself, "This is life, dude? You don't live in this world with protection without paying something." And you'd be right. Life isn't always a guarantee of protection for free.

Except /buildmode does exactly that.

Similarities between /buildmode and locked signs:
    • Both neant to make a player's property have exclusive access
    • Both designed to deter griefing/stealing
    Differences between /buildmode and locked signs:

• Signs are physical objects, and take up space
    • Signs have a limit of 2 people beside yourself
    • Signs cannot be placed in close proximity to a player's protected block
    • Signs cost 1,000 rupees per object. Buildmode: completely free for an indefinite number blocks.
    If the newer /buildmode systems can protect thousands of blocks, without us having to pay a dime, I would like an explanation as to why I am forced to pay to have an ounce of protection for the most valuable blocks in the game (chests).

My official suggestion: For now, remove the price tag; make locked chests free.

In the long run, I'd like to see something more viable than locked signs were all along. Something similar to buildmode, where if you place a chest, it's automatically locked. You could put signs on the front of the chest to show other exclusive permissions for said chest.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Keep warm.
    NuclearBobomb, DrMadFate, 607 and 5 others like this.
  2. The 1k price tag for a lock sign is so small that it shouldn't matter. Even if you put down 100 and picked them all up the loss is still small and makeable in less than a few hours.

So I'll -1 this and say it's fine the way it is
    neonkillah likes this.
  3. He do you make 50k in a couple hours?
    neonkillah likes this.
  4. Trade emeralds.

Seriously though, just place chests and put a solid protected block on top. Free Protection. Even better? Place a solid block below too.
  5. 50k may not be worth much to you, but that could be a new player's entire week worth of gaming (and is mine, as well. I don't bring in money fast enough to afford 50k to protect some chests for 3 hours).

I'm not sure how this change would affect you negatively, could you clarify on that?
    607 and fBuilderS like this.
  6. +1
    neonkillah likes this.
  7. Sure.

I don't do a lot of wild building. But when I do it's usually for an event of some sort. If I had to turn build mode off to allow people to access the chests they could just take the whole thing. With it on they can access it but not steal it and I wouldn't forget to turn build mode back on when placing my beacons or some sort.

There is also some staff related things that I can't speak about.

And as much as I don't want a shel length post. 50k in a week is super easy. You could make that in a few hours just server hopping and selling. Or emeralds. Or promos. Or mining cobble (2-4K a DC)
    Why do you think the new promos cost what they did at the shop? Because 50k is the new 10k.
    neonkillah likes this.
  8. With the title as it is now, it made me think this thread was locked. :p
    Gordan_the_Gourd and neonkillah like this.
  9. That's what I thought at first also
    neonkillah likes this.
  10. I'd like to make another point:

Our personal belongings are protected for free from environmental hazards. Creepers don't damage chests at all.

But when it comes to players, arguably the most malicious opponent to personal belongings, staff backs up and says, "there wasn't anything we could have done about this, and there isn't anything we will do about it."

That seems messed up to me. If there is a regulation against stealing player items, why does the only method that enforces that rule require you to pay?
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.

11. Because there is a plethora of ways you can protect your items. If you don't do them why should staff spend hours chasing down and dealing with that?

In town you have perms
    In the wild you have ended chests and locked chests.
    In the waste you used to have nothing until Aikar finally was like hey let's lock them here.

You are your best protection.
    neonkillah likes this.
  12. this is the best way to protect chests
    Gordan_the_Gourd and neonkillah like this.
  13. Staff would have to deal with complaints of people stealing from their chests much less if people didn't have to weigh shelling out their money for protection.

Why is one of these features free, and the other is not?

Of course. That's why people make bases hundreds of thousands of blocks out, for protection. Because they know that anybody with the will and the sneakiness to do it, can steal from an unprotected chest without any consequences.

I throw down chests where I feel like I need to. On a server that prides itself in its community fairness and grief protection, I shouldn't have to constantly watch my back and shell out thousands of rupees to stay safe.
  14. "Seriously though, just place chests and put a solid protected block on top. Free Protection. Even better? Place a solid block below too."
    I also hadn't ever thought of this. I'll probably just start using this method. This should be formally mentioned to new players too, who can't afford dozens of locked chests.

Ironic how the free anti-grief system does a better job at protecting your property than the paid system does. This is why I believe we need a better locked chest system.
    607, TomvanWijnen and Sachrock like this.

15. Because this is a towny server with some cool wilds and wastes that's why it's free in town and not in wild.

When empires comes out I would imagine it's going to be like towns but in the wild. But gasp you will have to pay for the area you want protected.

Maybe what you should do is throw down chests in less visible more hidden locations where you feel like you need too and they won't be stolen.
  16. There shouldn't be a risk of your items being stolen in the first place.
    If players aren't allowed to steal/grief, why do we so easily give them the means to do it?
  17. People aren't allowed to do it in the real world and it's still a hassle isn't it?

If it's changed to a build mode type lock chest people will just leave chests all over and staff would have to come remove them.

If it's left how it is until empires then no extra work needs to be done until release.

What about establishing an outpost? Just go to whatever chest I put in the wild while using build mode anywhere on smp3 and that's what I want to claim.
    neonkillah likes this.
  18. +1000

In my entire EMC life, I've locked just TWO chests. I really don't feel like spending all my money to protect chests which have items in them that might not even be the worth of the locked sign above them, but I do care about those items.

Even locking chests is a problem without thinking about the rupees: I almost always stack chests ontop of each other, so I can store more. I can't do that with [ LOCKED ] signs. Nor can I put a protected block ontop, since there's already a chest there...
    607 and neonkillah like this.
  19. It should go without saying that this isn't the real world. This argument is cast again and again, and it never applies.
    • I don't need to pay a tax to keep my res in EMC.
    • I don't need to file a lawsuit in a judicial system and lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in EMC (if you're american :p).
    • I can't place a piece of dirt in the middle of a real-world forest, and say that nobody can break it.
    I don't see the relevance with this. The real world is not a limiting factor in a virtual game.

This is exactly what people said about buildmode. "People will just place non-breakable blocks everywhere! That's chaos!" We now have 138 fully protected blocks (already including chests). Perhaps you have experienced it differently, but I have yet to hear an exorbitant amount of chaos from that.

While I'm not familiar with the EMC source code, I do program. Price = 0, chargeback = 0. Not a huge amount of effort would need to be involved, I imagine.

You may need to clarify, I don't understand this point.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.