[Suggestion] Incomplete/Abandoned Spawn Plot Policy

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Elite, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. so now that you finally are finishing your res that you have had move off for months to everyone else needs to snap too and conform to your timeframe?
    i have 8 reses, two active wildbases and a couple secret/public farms that i manage should i drop everything and finish my one utopian spawn because you think im not working fast enough? or in reality is this a game that we can work at our own pace and make whatever kind of ugly unfinished piece of junk we want as long as we stay active or pay for perm protection?
    snaketip: its the second one
  2. Some people don't have to worry about the derelict policy because they have since gotten a perm protection voucher. Many of these spawn reses are owned by people with perm protect, thus making it so they will ALWAYS have this res until they get banned or manually unclaim it.
  3. I am guilty of this and I have had this problem before, but I plan to build on it within the next week. There are some large projects that take a lot of time. Being the perfectionist I am, I have not happily designed my res until recently. Very large projects can take a while.

While I actually do agree with this while I am part of the problem, I feel that it is not a good idea and the staff do not have the right to tax, punish, or seize a blank res.

There is a problem, but I do not think the staff should do anything to avoid drama.
  4. Okay, I thought maybe there was some sort of grandfather policy in effect there. If they paid for permanent derelict protection...well...hummf.
    I agree it's kind of crappy though to permanently leave an unfinished or half-$$$ build.
    WCG_Elite, TromboneSteve and BailiB like this.
  5. alot of the times the players intend on coming back and actually finish their reses like you but have schedules that are more demanding then their rupee collecting skills. so they pay for a res, and maybe pay for perm protection and sit on a res. finch sat on his two reses on smp6 for 2 years now they are nearly completed but if a policy like this were implemented he would of already lost his reses. this is why this is a terrible and selfish idea (and yes i get the irony of calling anti-hoarding selfish but it is what it is)
    SSRCcorp, ShelLuser and TromboneSteve like this.
  6. Yeah, it sucks like OP said but you couldn't just blanket apply this to every single player because everyone is different with their own unique situations.
  7. Well, while I can see this being good, a residence is a residence. As stated by penguinDJ if players are being treated differently from other players from taxes, the next suggestion will be "[ SUGGESTION ] taxes for all res' "

As well, the voting system. Same thing will happen with the taxes situation " [ SUGGESTION ] Voting for all res' ".

So -1 from me.
    TromboneSteve likes this.
  8. I disagree - 'partially'

Though, utopian reses don't really fit along with the policy with the same regards as the others, as they are 4 times bigger - having other reses to work on or side projects - the order you build them would fit with the 'play your way' ... I have 4 other reses that I haven't built on, i'm prioritizing getting the spawn res finished ....

But should having multiple reses be used as a form of exclusion?

I don't think it should....

However, i'm not stating in my op that you need to complete a build immediately or even within a single month time span ... I'm stating for there to be a system to make sure individuals are building period and making progress so as to whether or not to decide if the build/project is empty/abandoned ....

Except for a few of the spawn lots lately, I haven't noticed any of the others making any progress at all.... It hasn't just been like this recently ... a lot of these reses have been like this for months to years ....

Take your drop party res, though - it to me would be considered complete - so it would be excluded from the policy...

Take one of the empty/incomplete reses - they would be part of the policy (until they are complete)

-------------
    This isn't an initiative to remove all the spawn reses .... this is an initiative to have individuals not abandon their spawn plots - and if they don't respond (it is in fact abandoned) then something will be done about it.
  9. -1 , "play your own way"
  10. The whole point of this thread isn't supposed to be attack people who have a spawn res, it's trying to create a motivation for people to build something nice and presentable on a spawn res. There isn't a "correct" way to go about that, though. Whatever you decide to build is up to you, but some reses are not a great representation of the server. Yes, people are able to build what they want, but why does it have to look like utter garbage front and center for all who type "/town?"

If you look back at SMP1's spawn res that was auctioned, it literally had a sign that said "I see a stinky doodie," along with a dirt shack. Sure, the owner should be able to build what they want, but how many people saw EMC as a joke, or didn't take it seriously seeing a sign like that right out of spawn?

Utopia could be a likely exception, as there are only 5-10 people on it at any given time, and people don't live on utopia like they do with the other 9 SMPs.

Yes Elite has a res that seems "unfinished" but it is a nicely built res that you can tell took time to make. Move is off because of the materials being used to build, not because we think people shouldn't be allowed on it. I'm sure most people who work with expensive materials turn off move in order to prevent people from running by and stealing them.

The main point being, a spawn res shouldn't be empty, or utter trash. Not that there should necessarily be a time limit, or a tax. Part of the server was ruined with Perm Protection vouchers. People used to quit/leave, and the spawn reses were "recycled" back into the server. That can't happen anymore, as long as someone has the money, they can pay to keep it forever.

This creates this number of reses that may NEVER be touched again, and people are unable to gain a spawn residence. How do you think some users feel when they dream of a spawn res, but they can't have one because someone has perm protected a dirt shack? Not saying that everyone should get a spawn res, but it can be some user's goals, and perm protect has effectively killed that hope for a lot of people.
    SSRCcorp, SkareCboi and WCG_Elite like this.
  11. I'm the same way... Building a res usually takes me a few hours or couple of weeks depending on my free time and other server related things. We aren't going to force a players to finish a res or tell them make it better because doesn't satisfy someone taste or its location. This reminds back when a some players hated us with smp9 spawn res because we built pyramids out of gold,iron, emerald and etc. which in fact only a few were making a fuss.

Also "Play your own way" motto
  12. so in your hypothetical, they paid to get the res, then they paid to keep the res. in what world do you live in where if you pay for something you dont get it? cause that is what you are saying basically. someone paid for that thing, regardless of its content or how much you like it they paid for it. meaning on some level they invested time to get that thing. your opinion regarding that thing is irrelevant as it is theirs. as much as i dont like some of the utopian spawn plots it is theres. so i had to figure out a way to get one and i did. the argument that "players should be able to get a spawn plot" makes no sense since smp6 was introduced its been hard to get a spawn plot and even harder to get the exact one you want, the only difference between then and now is that you cant get it by being lucky at someone elses misfortune (sorry dojodo(12002))
    ShelLuser and Dwight5273 like this.
  13. I'm not saying people who buy a residence shouldn't be able to keep it. I'm saying that people who buy perm derelict and have abandoned their spawn res have ruined and reduced everyone else's chance to potentially have a spawn res. I'm saying as a whole, Perm Protection was not a great idea in the grand scheme of things. It's one of the attributing factors as to why we needed to add in more plots. That's the point I was trying to make about "pay to keep it forever." It's why we have some pretty crappy spawn lots as well.

I even specifically mention "Not saying everyone should get a spawn res." I was trying to argue that if someone wishes to have a spawn lot, they should be able to work to obtaining one. That's not a plausible idea anymore, with staff owning spawn reses, perm protection, and with the lack of new SMPs/Servers being created. You said it yourself, you were able to acquire a spawn lot due to someone else not having permanent protection.

As far as your "what world do you live in.." remark, I wasn't even trying to argue such. I fully agree that if someone bought a res, it's theirs to decide what to do with it (It shouldn't be a dirt shack, though.) If someone bought perm protect, it's theirs to use. I was arguing that Perm Protect has been a toxic addition to EMC.
  14. When re-reading this thread there's one thing puzzling me.. And before I share: my comment is not meant as some kind of argument in the pro/nay discussion and I'd appreciate it if it wouldn't be used (or picked up) as such.

But has anyone ever tried to contact the owner(s) of those unfinished residences to ask them about their plans for their structures, and maybe to ask if they could need or want some help with finishing up? The reason I ask: this seems like the best thing to try first to me. And who knows, it might even respark their interest in the Empire (but the latter is wishful thinking on my end).

Like I said: just honestly wondering...

And if you like the idea but don't know what to write or ask then I'm more than willing to help on that part. I may not like the original suggestion for reasons stated above, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize (or appreciate!) what you're trying to do here.

SO yah, has anyone?
  15. I will give the example of the SMP1 spawn lot that was auctioned. Members of the community PM'ed the res owner after he was banned, in hopes of getting permission to own the res after. As for how many people were given an actual response saying they could have the lot, I cannot say. I can say, Elite tried and got the permission through a site PM, but the staff disallowed it to be used to get the res because "too many people showed interest in it". Instead, it was auctioned off. This was an instance where asking an owner did not yield positive results.

Another point being, when I took my huge break from EMC, I never checked the forums. I don't know how many people who have been gone for 6+ months do check the forums. Some of these requests may never be seen. If we look at Nursekilljoy's history, they had been gone for many months, and the only reasons why the res didn't go derelict was because it had staff protection, then someone voted for it. Taking a look at their profile;

You can see that RunningRhino showed interest in the residence, and that it had been 2 years since any progress was made on it (Not to mention this was from last year). NurseKilljoy's response showed no interest in selling it or even finishing it. In the end it was force-claimed.

I do like your idea, I just feel like we don't live in the perfect world that everyone consistently checks their forum account for a server they no longer play on. I also feel that there are greedy people who might log onto to EMC once or twice since getting perm protect, but won't give up the res to other people who might deserve it more, or to someone who is actually active in the community.
  16. I feel like this discussion has brought up a "Pandora's box" If I may say of problems the EMC could be heading towards in the future. As more and more Res derelict protections are purchased and used, more and more land will be taken away from the new incoming and rising members of the community. Now I'm not saying Res derelict protections are bad, but I've been on EMC awhile, and my "district" has gotten more and more crowded yet I don't see these people surrounding me on. I know everyone has busy lives and can go offline for awhile. I myself am guilty of that. I've left for months and had people claim over a skyscraper of mine. Which is okay, because it is my fault. It was my responsibility to look after my creation, which I didn't. I feel that (and this is my opinion) that Res derelict protections excempts people from that responsibility.

What will we do as the Land crowds but there's only 20 people on?! keep adding more and more res's?
    I think this discussion is a very beneficial and proactive one to try and solve an issue some members of our community hold with high regard. I for one applaud WCG_Elite for taking a "stab" at it and presenting a possible solution to this "Pandora's box."

[I don't mean to offend or attack anyone in this statement, and if you do feel such emotions I am deeply sorry. All of this is a matter of opinion of mine.]
    ShelLuser and BailiB like this.
  17. There is a new derelict policy to help this.
    SSRCcorp likes this.
  18. I dislike this idea. I myself have 3 spawn reses on smp6. I had them blank for a few moths, and sometimes had something built on them as people used to complain to me non-stop that nothing was built. 12004 and 12005, i got from JustinGuy, and 12003 i paid for it. I only had nothing built as I was still planning, and I have several other projects on the go. I am also enrolled in college so that is less time. I bet most of the spawn reses have Jobs or are in college. I know that 2 of the other spawn reses on smp6 are also in college. Therefore they may have got them, but are waiting to finish college to work on the res. I also do know that there will be some reses that will never go bad on some smp spawns. on 6, there are my 3, and 2 beside me that will be there for ever. Although all of us not have much time, we still try and get on to work and edit our builds.

So Next time you want to suggest something like this, take into account of players that are in School, or have Job's. Not everyone have full time to get on EMC to build.
    Patr1cV and PenguinDJ like this.
  19. That IS true, and I myself am one of those people who sometimes has to take a month off and that's ok. I however recently discovered a res on SMP2 spawn res that hasn't been touched in 300 days. That person hasn't been on in 300 days. What if said person comes on 2 years from now? how many missed opportunities for the community will have been squandered. you have to also take into account the many people on EMC that are dedicated, proactive growing members who have their dreams crushed. Now a month or two is fine in my book. I understand, We have lives outside EMC. However Forever is ALONG time. And as that res on smp2 shows, what happens when ppl move on and don't unclaim. What do we do then?
    BailiB likes this.
  20. I also like to state that I have a job, and am going to college soon and work hard on EMC and try to participate in the community. I don't believe that you can use such a thing as an excuse because you are unhappy with people who are concerned about the appearance and pride of their favorite server.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.