[Suggestion] Elytra flight in town.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Blunce, Mar 3, 2017.

1. I wish I could jet around town observing everyone's constructions from above, but it's currently impossible since some residences have invisible move flags which immediately ground you.

My suggestion: A separate move flag for flying, which is enabled by default.

If the current move flag were divided into walk and fly flags, the walk flag could prevent players from making contact with the ground on your residence, while the fly flag prevents them from making contact with the air.

If this were possible, a residence with walk off and fly on would allow observance from above, but attempting to land would remove the player from the residence.
    Equinox_Boss and TomvanWijnen like this.
  2. I don't really think this should be a feature. Most people who restrict movement on their properties do it because they just don't want people to move there. The elytra flag, in this case, could allow people to go to properties that the owners don't want them to and might just cause problems.
    JesusPower2, Zrugite, kaptrix and 3 others like this.
  3. People would abuse this and annoy others easily with this.
    kaptrix and Equinox_Boss like this.
  4. I think move off should be move off, as Jay2a states also.
    kaptrix and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. I get that It can be annoying when you're flying and suddenly drop out of the sky but I can't picture a situation where people with move off on their res would want to make an exception for people who are flying.

Maybe a better solution would be redirecting the player along the path instead of dropping the player out of the sky. That way when a player comes across a no move res they can keep going on their trip. Although, I'm not sure if this is viable when it comes to coding.
  6. I agree that move-disabled residences should continue to be so, so maybe it was too much to suggest it be enabled by default.

In any case, dividing this flag into the two types of movement which are now possible in minecraft would provide more utility to residence owners. RandomBumbleBee is right that owners with move-restricted residences would be unlikely to want people flying around, but having the ability to disable flight in a move-enabled residence could be a useful feature.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Maybe you would teleport through the resodence if the move is off
  8. Pretty sure there is a glide flag or subflag.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. I've tried flying in Town also and it is like trying to navigate a minefield. I think it can be annoying and frustrating also on foot or Horse to be exploring Town and you suddenly hit an invisible wall and can't move forward any longer. If we could see the barrier it would be different, but we cannot.

I'm not exactly sure how the code handles players with no Move permissions, but it seems like we get teleported back a block or two when we hit a Residence border. It seems reasonable to me that instead of pushing someone back the way they came that we could instead move them to the other side at the same elevation and just change either the X or Y coordinates depending on the side they hit. I doubt if there would be much more code involved to do this than there already is.

In other words, instead of creating an invisible wall the code would teleport us through the Residence to the other side so we can continue on. Doing this would serve the original purpose by keeping people off of the Residence but would also allow players to keep moving in their intended direction whether they are flying, walking, or riding a Horse.
  10. That seems like a good potential solution, but I can easily imagine it being disorientating.
  11. I'd prefer to be disoriented by pushing through a Residence than the alternative when it comes to flying in Town: Knocked to the ground and made to go back to my Residence to start all over while trying to remember where all the invisible walls are.
    TomvanWijnen, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  12. Small FYI there is also a flag so you can't fly/glide. So if there is no move your suggestion still does not work.

13. If there was only a sidewalk to glide over. If you really want to see what someones res looks like. Download the world and party at their res. Maybe even throw a tnt party.