[suggestion] change enchants on voters shovels or lower fortune to 1

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by mjnoe70, Aug 19, 2017.

1. While I see that adding silk touch to the shovel may make it to OP, fortune III is not all that helpful in the long run for a shovel especially with the latest changes in blocks. The voters shovel is now not helpful at all when mining gravel as fortune III is 100% chance to drop flint.

Fortune on a shovel
    Flint Drop percentage
    unenchanted 10%
    level I 14%
    level II 25%
    level III 100%

I would prefer if it was either removed or max level II. I think the tools are great as a voting reward but
    maybe we should just have a little higher efficiency rather than either fortune or silk touch.
  2. Not trying to be rude, but why not grab another shovel to get gravel? Because the voter shovel can be used for other blocks like sand and dirt.
    Tuqueque and BlitzAttack like this.
  3. I never use the voters shovel... It's to slow, I need speed.. Efficiency V , Unbreaking III, Silk touch, mending... (perfect)
    FadedMartian likes this.
  4. I always use my voters shovel (heck, I normally only play with my voters tools) and I'm not too sure here.

Although you're absolutely right about gravel it also helps to raise your chances for getting (jungle) saplings and apples. So it's definitely not all bad ;)
    UltiPig and ShrinkingMatt like this.
  5. The same enchant is on the voters axe, makes perfect sense on that and is the proper tool for leaves and wood. I don't see the benefit of the fortune (especially at 3) on a shovel. This negates the ability to use the voters tool on one of the main things to gather these days. ...even in the past you couldn't but obviously they noticed the lack of "use" of gravel so a new product was made.

This is not to remove fortune from any other tool, eg: pick axe or axe, just shovel.

Not taken as rude, but durability. We all voted for quite a while to get the benefit of the voting tools. I just want to note that this enchant really is not needed on the voting tool . I'm not asking for silk touch, just either a lower value or no fortune. If you remove fortune, all those things you already mentioned can still be picked up without fortune.
  6. So does anyone know how something in the suggestion box gets reviewed by staff? I still think this is a bit of an oversight/miss application imho. While there are times I use a couple diamond shovels, having to repair them is a pain vs just using a no durability item. It is only an issue when gathering gravel.
  7. One can hope that staff does :p

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat it. Sometimes you get a response, sometimes you don't. If you're really determined and want to ensure they saw it you could consider to PM Krysyy I suppose, but as always there are no guarantees. Heck, even if they did see it then there's always a chance that the whole thing gets forgotten over time (which I've seen happening a few times in the past).

One thing:

A shovel swings faster than an axe these days.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  8. touche - Though an axe is useless on gravel so I would prefer the tool work for its "normally accepted" uses...
    Baradar67 likes this.
  9. Heh...I have gotten so used to the voter's shovel not working for gravel...My normal method is to just punch it...haha. All these people who insist on Eff. V and such...bah....Patience is a Virtue. Add to that, most of the time I collect gravel, I am at the bottom of an ocean already moving slow...haha. I suppose if I had more uses for the gravel, I would be more concerned about such. I just wanted to chime in that I have known about this for a long time though, and have just found it commonplace to simply work around it. I guess I would rate this a + if they did update it, but not necessarily a - if they don't. As a guy at work says all the time..."It is what it is".

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    TomvanWijnen, ShelLuser and mjnoe70 like this.
  10. - Lol punch it we must atm.
    - Get yourself Depthstrider III and Aqua Affinity and you'll see your underwater speeds are better, bump in an 8 minute potion for air.
    - I never complained about the shovel until 1.12. With the new concrete there is a real desire for gravel now as before no one cared much. As the game changes, so must we, in my opinion.
  11. Gotta admit I've had the same thought. Bring my voters shovel, as I like to use voters stuff when I can, go to get some gravel to get out of a hole or something and, ugh, it's all flint. And of course that's the only shovel I have with me. It will not be changed, but I have felt your pain.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  12. There is a real desire for gravel now and that I also use eff5, silk touch, unbreaking 3 and mending. I also use that with depth strider 3, potions of underwater breathing 8mins and night vision to see clearly as well. Bottom of oceans is the best place to go and I can get 2 to 3 dc's in a very short time. Sand is where I use my voters shovel but sometimes it's just too slow for a massive amount of sand. Then there's all the crafting and curing to get concrete. Just a lot of work all the way around.

I myself don't see the need to change it with mending available but I also don't see where fortune 3 helps in any mining. Unless it gets you more clay balls but I haven't known that to be the case. Then again I use silk for that too so I don't waste time crafting balls into blocks.

Speaking of this, reminds me of an auction I need to set up :)
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  13. Fortune on a pick increases the drops of diamonds, red stone, lapis, emralds, coal and also when mining (non silk touch) glow stone you get 4 of them rather than less than 4. While I like silk touch as an option for any pick, fortune III is also a nice benefit when mining.

I do see why they don't put in silk touch on either the shovel or pick because it would make it op.

While I do love the eff 5 tools and mending rocks, each person has to decide which approach they want, what takes to long and when to use what tools. I am just merely stating that having fortune III on the shovel makes it completely useless for the newly required desire to obtain gravel if desired.
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  14. I think they should upgrade the efficiency to Efficiency V, make the tools a little more powerful, they are voter's items after all! :D
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  15. I was referring to just the shovel having fortune 3 on it. I use fortune 3 a lot myself on picks. I totally agree that fortune 3 on a voters shovel or any shovel is useless but that it doesn't affect me either. I just make my own, it's only 1 dia and I have a plethora of OP villagers to trade with.

[quote="Merek_Shadower, post: 1362397"I myself don't see the need to change it with mending available but I also don't see where fortune 3 helps in any mining. Unless it gets you more clay balls but I haven't known that to be the case. Then again I use silk for that too so I don't waste time crafting balls into blocks. [/quote]

Also the voters shovel is unbreakable but fortune 3 on a reg shovel with mending is repairable but as stated useless for gathering gravel until flint has more uses. (This may become a possibility) Then fortune 3 will be GREAT!!
  16. That would be too OP IMO. Some changes could be beneficial tho. Gold tools mine quicker but if if they were unbreakable it could be something added to higher vote bonuses. They (Staff) have mentioned they plan to add more voting stuff in the future.
    God_Of_Gods and mjnoe70 like this.
  17. Have had quite a bit of responses, I guess it seems it doesn't die or live until you get someone from the staff to say yes or no. I still think this is a needed change to the voters shovel and will not make it OP and still make it useful for gravel as well as other uses.