[SUGGESTION] Apply site bans to players who are permanently banned for serious offenses

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by We3_MPO, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Receiving parole would be the same as a successful appeal, correct? You are technically allowed back into the community as you have show change.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  2. Yes, I was already aware of that. It happened months ago. In fact, I made multiple posts on that thread while it was active, showing my support.

I know only admins can forum ban. However, more days than not, Krysyy and/or Aikar are on at least sometime, so it would probably be possible to handle within a few days. It may be possible to make senior staff able to do it too. We'll just have to see what happens, though.

You are correct. That's how I've witnessed it too, and what the rules say.

There are other social media. When they applied sitebans to go with all IP-banned players, they also added the ability to request a final contact notice on the banned player's profile page via the appeal form. I don't see why they couldn't do that with this.

More often than not, permanent bans are due to serious offenses such as griefing, illegal mods, scamming, or inappropriate chat. Most people who are banned for those causes, especially illegal mods, fuss over their ban after being banned and/or try to make the staff's jobs look bad. Those who aren't like that can appeal the correct way, which is possible without logging onto forums.

I might accept this too. I just know that most likely, as observed from behavior of banned players, forum bans should probably be given out significantly more than they have been.

Exactly. There's no point in participating in a community if you can't get into their game. There are other social media. Your RL comparison was definitely a good one.

Permabans that are permanent in practice do exist, though. We just don't know as many cases because most probably happened before many of the currently active players (including myself) joined, which was LONG ago. Yes, people can appeal. Staff could also judge by the maturity of the appeals sent; more mature ones very well may be ready to change. Less mature ones, usually not so much.

You are correct about the permabans. If anything, permabans are used for serious offenses for players without alts where it hasn't been repeated. If it's been repeated or the player has alts, it could warrant an IP-ban, but only after extensive discussion.
    Carbonyx likes this.
  3. I was the one to suggest this to krysyy, and the only reason they did, was becasue there only about 4 IP-bans per month, so is customisable. So NO, they wont be able to add contact info...

Because one of Gartanno's friend decided to stand up for them, while not knowing the full situation, should not make banning all the banned community from the forums. Maybe They got banned a year ago, and want to ask the community if its worth coming back... I do agree that there is a clearly labeled appeal system, and that people should use it, but seeing a I got banned thread once in a month is not bad... Also, to appeal, you HAVE to login(since is not an IP ban, so the forum sytem has to know who are you). Forum ban, is just not able to talk in threads(not sure about regular PMs), it doesn't mean not being able to log in.
    --- Important part of message:
    Now that i think about it, you are suggesting the removal of perma bans and just leaving IP bans(which are consecutive major offenses), and temp bans(which apparently exist and are minor offenses).
    I don't think that staff will ban a naive player for using xray with an IP ban, nor a tempban, so... the Permaban has to remain as it is(unless you come up with another punishment, for a player's first severe missbehavior)
  4. Actually, you don't have to be logged in. When I requested that my forum ban be lifted I used the appeal page and it worked fine.

EDIT: Proof http://prntscr.com/emvv1x
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.
  5. No, I didn't say that. Hacking happened before and it can happen again. What if the player got hacked and got banned off EMC and the forums? They couldn't appeal if they were banned here.

This idea makes me think of baseball with the outs. Except there's not 3 strikes you're out, just one.
  6. You can still appeal if you're forum banned. I've done it before.

EDIT: Proof http://prntscr.com/emvv1x
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.
  7. Even if you were hacked, it's not EMC's problem that your account wasn't secured with a very strong password
    We3_MPO likes this.
  8. But it wasn't your fault if you were hacked, right? Right.
  9. Well, it sort of is. My password is 17 characters long, random, and stored nowhere but my mind. Hard to hack that. If your password is not secure, it kind of is your fault. I almost learned this the hard way.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  10. Any password can be cracked in less than 10 secs, maybe 20, if you have a computer with the tools needed... *just curius but scary facts*

My source, is a interview from John Oliver with Snowden... preety sure what he is talking about, but might be wrong...
  11. Certainly not any. According to howsecureismypassword.net, my master password for my password manager would take 552 quadrillion years to crack.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. Thanks for rewording one half of my argument.
    Tuqueque likes this.
  13. EMC knows the difference. It would show a difference in IP in the logs. Or, if you are saying that someone hacked into your computer (yes, we know you are talking about your ban) and added mods onto your client, then it is reasonable that a hacked account is banned. If that were the case, an IP ban should be in place as the computer and/or network being used is not secure.

This is why being hacked is not actually an issue.

Overall though, related to this thread, -1. It has been brought up that with a permaban, you can make your way back onto the servers if you have shown you changed. More times than not (other than the several year old bans), this change is witnessed via forum activity. If anything, witnessing someones poor behavior on the forums proves that they shouldn't ever be let back onto the server. They usually then leave, or they get IP banned. Either way, its mildly entertaining to see their angst.
    Tuqueque and Carbonyx like this.
  14. Sometimes I just wish for a TLDR:

Permanent bans are not IP bans. Let's be honest here. You screw up and get perma banned. You then log on your alt account and either do the same thing or you learn and don't. You can get forum banned. Or you don't. Doesn't matter. 27 bucks in the us and your right back into the mix. Either on the forums or in the game.

IP vans and you can't log into the game under any account for any reason. Makes sense to not be able to get on the forums. Cause if you have made it to the point that we don't want to see you anywhere on the game under any name then we don't want to see you on the interwebs.

We3 I applaud your moral fiber in not wanting to see hear or talk to people who can't behave. But honestly if it's hurting something then report it.

Or make rules that perms banned can only see forum games and not other parts of the forum.

I am batman and I have spoken !!
    We3_MPO, Carbonyx and jkjkjk182 like this.
  15. Your post reminded me that most of us do not have static IP addresses. I'll understand if your former status as batmod may not allow you to explain, but is it even possible to block me? Couldn't I simply reboot my router and log in with my new account? Even if I cannot, I can still go to work/the library/school/relative's/friend's house and access the Forum or play from there. If so, an IP ban puts Staff in the position of playing detective and account Wack a Mole and the only real control is the amount of money and time the banned player wants to dedicate to playing here.

Also, if we ban an IP we ban everyone using that IP. We have whole families playing here and an IP ban would punish all of them arbitrarily. It is unlikely but whoever gets the banned address next won't be able to access the Forums or play either.

As you requested, a TLDR:
    TL;DR: Is permanently banning someone even possible and, if so, can it be done fairly?
  16. I know you didn't ask me, and I have no technical explanation for this answer, but I do remember Aikar telling a banned player who thought they were sneaky that he could ban their whole city lol. So that might answer part of it. :p
  17. Or ban the city/state/country they move to, right? Aikar's statement tells me what I wanted to know. Thanks.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  18. I cant say things. But if you ever wanted to return then you wouldnt want to find ways to get around an IP ban. And yes even that can be appealed. Cause in the end this is a community and the staff want people to be part of the community.

I typed a lot of words here and then deleted them because I'm way to tired.

Tl;DR Yes aikar can make sure you will not be able to go around the IP ban if he so wishes to put forth the effort.
    Pab10S and We3_MPO like this.
  19. Thanks to anyone who has shared their thoughts and remained civil at the same time. I love this community.