Still Really Confused...

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Smimmals, Jul 31, 2016.

1. I put this together to help ease some of your confusion, hope it helps :)
  2. DID YOU MAKE THIS SOLELY TO EXPLAIN THE SERVER TO ME?!
  3. Yep! Though I imagine it'll see further use after this, if anyone cares to go looking.
    crystaldragon13, Vizsco, 607 and 3 others like this.
  4. whoever is doing the tutorial should bookmark this because the tutorial should answer all of these questions
    ShelLuser, tuqueque and khixan like this.
  5. that seems like something really cool to put on the wiki.
    poofasaurus, Krysyy, Vizsco and 4 others like this.
  6. Holy crap! Thanks man! Super helpful!
  7. I think everyone else (and Keph, I love the graphic you put together!) has answered most of your questions. I'll toss in my 2 cents for what they're worth.
    How do I tell where I am?
    Use /map. Look and see if you're in the waste or frontier. You can only claim in the frontier 5000 blocks from spawns and 3000 blocks from other players. When you go to make your claim, you have to lock a chest (costs 1000 rupees) and send a conversation with the locked chest's coordinates to the staff member who responds to your thread about it.
    How do I get stuff from my frontier base to town and vice versa?
    You build transportation to the closest spawn to you. To do this, you need to understand coordinates through F3 and using Live Map. If you need more info on that, holler. Most people use a combination of suiciding back to town or their build, and they cut through the nether to reduce travel time. You can build a nether rail tunnel, a horse tunnel, or even an ice boat tunnel. Hide this transport well so others don't find your tunnel and base. For now, the only place you can protect your stuff/builds is in town. Frontier grief protection is hopefully coming as the next major update. I don't know when either. You may run into other people's transportation tunnels. Treat them as you'd like your transport to be treated if someone runs into it - respectfully :)

Also please note that any plan for a giant strip mine or to level a dessert for sand really belongs in the waste, not the frontier. The waste resets periodically. The frontier doesn't. This doesn't mean you can't mine out in the frontier for resources to use at your base there. It just means to please do so thoughtfully. If you're going to need 50 DCs of stone for your build in the frontier, maybe you'd better haul some of those out from the waste :)
    Another way to look at it -
    Taking non-renewable resources that aren't "leftovers" (for example, leftover cobble from digging out your guardian farm) from the frontier to town is frowned upon. Taking renewable resources from the frontier (replant trees, an iron farm with villagers, a guardian farm, etc) = go for it.
    Vizsco, 607, Kephras and 2 others like this.
  8. He's on contribution team for a reason to help players understand the game and make sure that the wiki and other helpful tips are legitimate and easy to understand.

Hopefully, when you follow Kephras's guide you can be like like a pro like me! 5 years running :p

(Nah I am still a nub XD)
    Vizsco, Kephras and iamcavie like this.
  9. You are all super awesome and I'm honestly extremely impressed by your compassion and gratitude towards me, just so I can understand the server more. I think I got most if not all of the concept now. Thank you all so much, especially Keph but that's just because he made the amazing graphic that I will be coming back to whenever I have questions.

You're all awesome, thanks so much!

~Sups
    Eviltoade, ShelLuser, 607 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ugh. I wish I'd saved the PSD of that now, seeing little typos and other things I should've added (like mentioning Utopia residences are 120x120 and the waste / frontier are supporter-only). Still very glad it was useful to you.
    CallMeSups, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  11. That's amazing!
    I got to keep that somewhere, this deserves to be used more than once :p
    khixan likes this.
  12. Actually just one more quick question :p What is the math behind coords in the overworld compared to the nether. Like If I placed a nether portal at 10kx10k (for example) where would that be placed in the nether?

Thanks again so much!
  13. Our waste is a little weird, and it's 1 to 1.

The frontier is just like vanilla and it's 8 to 1 (except for the Y coord - that is always 1:1). Divide overworld coords by 8 for the coordinates in the nether. Multiply nether coords by 8 for the corresponding overworld coords..
    Kephras, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  14. I just noticed that this info wasn't included in the wiki yet. This is another prime example why I value (new) player input so much: IMO it's the best way to spot those things.

Anyway, us contribs have handled that problem :)
    Kephras, crystaldragon13 and khixan like this.
  15. Just to be clear, just making a thread shows that you own that section yourself, I had a wild base i did not claim for years, until i started to make it bigger and invite some friends out there, that's when i claimed it just to be on the safe side...

I would suggest going to a frontier outpost (Not the main, the one 5k out) making a nether portal, and mining 4-8k out from the direction you went out in the wild, from there you are already several k out in the nether... make a portal and make some tracks to go back and forth.... nothing fancy, there will be a emc feature allowing you to TP to your claim in the future.

From there you can make a claim where you spawn, I would also suggest using /map and if you load in unloaded chunks, that would be the best to start a claim.

For Iron for the tracks, I would suggest buying from someone selling it for 2r per ingot max, and to make it the cheapest, build the track like so... ....32 normal....3 powered....32 normal...3 powered... etc.

Some may also have their res on a different server than their claim, and they way hey will do it, is build the claim on a server that they dont ever visit for any reason.

The waste is for supplies, but if you have a claim, it is normal to mine there as well, no need to use waste (I never use waste as I have a mining base far out enough that it does not effect me or anyone else on emc...

If you ever need any more info or help, feel free to ask on the forums or in-game, and there will be many players willing to help and give advice.
    ShelLuser and crystaldragon13 like this.
  16. There's one thing that I see missing from this image that I've seen gets a lot of newer people frustrated..
    The fact that chat is limited outside of Town to talking and receiving certain channels (Local & Group) and PMs.
    Other than that, I like the infographic a lot =] (Please don't shoot me if I used the word wrong)
    607, ShelLuser, Kephras and 1 other person like this.