Spider xp grinder help

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by vividOptimism, Feb 24, 2012.

1. you have to be 16 or less blocks from the spawner for it to spit out mobs but does the y co-ordinate factor into this?
  2. I think it might...
  3. I've just hooked up 3 cave spider spawners together using water and signs to herd them to a single point all within 16 blocks of where i stand, soooo many spiders :)

edit: k is there anyway i can get rid of these spiders without fighting, its making me lag so much that its hard to continue building the grinder, i probably should have removed the torches last me thinks, curiosity is definitely going to kill this cat.

2012-03-01_06.54.08.png

2012-03-01_06.57.11.png

This is just 2 of the spawners aswell, the other is behind me :eek:
    NurglesRott likes this.
  4. Lol i win spiders, grinder is set up and working like a beauty :D
  5. Use a Splash Potion of Harming. netherwart>spider eye>fermented spider eye>gunpowder. Use a couple as they don't usually kill all the spiders first time. Spider eyes should not be a problem.

How are you collecting your spiders together?
    I have a 1x1 tunnel of glass with water flowing through ending in a column 2 blocks high with the top blocked by iron bars. I am able to hit the spiders through the bars but rarely make contact. Might try using a bed to block off a 1x1 tunnel
    nmanley likes this.
  6. I'm using the same tunnel as you but i have all 3 grinders connected in a center column which rises up using water and signs to keep the spiders moving upward. At the top i've blocked it all off with dirt and iron fence's and just hurl a couple of splash 2 potions at them. Before i add gunpowder i add glowdust to my potions, makes it a lv 2 but not sure if it requires less as you say a couple and i use a couple.
  7. Never thought to use a mob elevator as I thought cave spiders would be too small. I think I now know why some of my spiders survive 2 potions, they are catching the wall as they drop. I will need to expand my drop hole by another block on two sides. Just need to figure why some are dying from the fall, they must be getting damage prior to the drop. When we get 1.2 I am fitting all the spawners with lights to allow easy maintenance.
  8. I was experimenting with a drop grinder and even though i made it so they would have half a heart left i found that some would die on impact, i think maybe lag causes them to take extra damage because in single player the exact same system had no problems.
  9. Got rid of the elevator system i had, no idea why i went with that to begin with, my grinders collecting the spiders much faster now.
    Shame as i had already built a couple of piston designs to complement the grinder area at the top.
    This set-up requires using splash damage 2 potions but the experience i get throwing 3 or 4 is awesome :D

2012-03-04_01.27.47.png
  10. So are you dropping/crushing them to soften them up first?
    If not I may go the same route. The time waiting can be spent brewing potions, the only commodity needed that isn't renewable is glass bottles. I've got a small desert near my base might go and fill my inventory with sand.

[edit-forgot glowstone powder and gunpowder isn't renewable, might just brew level one potion but use more as I have lots of gunpowder
    ]
  11. My grinder doesn't damage them, just collects them into a pit beneath me.
    I might change it again and try out dropping them, it will save me potions and might work just aswell.