Some Minor Non-Tech Changes and Reminders

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Tad confused on the auction advertisements...so we can still advertise our auction link on every server legally as long as it's once every 3 hours at a maximum and in economy chat right??
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  2. That's how I understood it. :)
    FirstJugBurgerz likes this.
  3. Correct
    FirstJugBurgerz likes this.
  4. *Can you even english
  5. Awesome, thanks for helping out krysyy!
  6. Great Update!
  7. Is THREE HOURS really necessary? 30 minutes will keep most people from doing it more than two or three times before they either have to log off or lose interest in advertising and it isn't !completely unreasonable! as to make it three hours between adverts. On the forums it makes sense, there is more things to be seen. In chat, nothing stays there for more than a minute or two unless you are playing at 4-8am emc time. This just seems beyond over board.

Edit: otherwise, woot
    Builds_With_46 likes this.
  8. Yes 3 hours is absolutely necessary for UNSOLICITED adverts. A player logs into the Empire and plays for more than a few hours at a time, they don't want to be spammed with adverts, but might still want economy chat open. If 4 players are cycling at 30 mins, that's more than one advert in a 10 min period overall. I know more than 4 players use adverts...
  9. This is entirely reasonable and the single most annoying part of leaving chat on.
  10. Krysyy I love the idea since I am always tortured on the server so now I can report those that are very rude to me! Let's hope there are no bugs in this system.
  11. This. The majority of us don't have to see the excessive reports directly. We do, however, see a lot of rudeness in chat about the rules. Mostly it seems to be from a few players who can be a bit. . . overzealous about enforcing chat rules. It would be nice to see some greater discretion from our more experienced players, especially when the violator is obviously new/ a child. A polite or even friendly reminder usually helps everyone more than trying to purge the chatlog of every minor violation.

Agreed. Lots of people are using adverts, but I'm just not seeing enough to call it spam. Even if there are enough advertisers that there is an ad every 10 minutes, or even every 5 minutes, is that really so bad? When the server is actually active, dozens or even hundreds of lines of text can pass through chat in 10 minutes.

If you set the minimum at 3 hours, that is going to restrict most players to one advert a day. Not everyone can sit and play minecraft all day long. It is going to prevent them from reaching a large portion of the playerbase, including the vast majority of the population that doesn't visit the forums daily and who may not be online when they use their one shot at posting. An hour minimum would be completely sufficient to prevent spam. Three is just overkill. There just aren't that many people advertising over and over all day long.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  12. It is one of the most common spam offenses that are crowding the report system. Notice these are for unsolicited adverts. They used to be disallowed completely, but then we went too lax on them and the community wanted more stringent and clear guidelines.
  13. I very regularly play for six hours and see two or three at most... The only time it is annoying is around 3-7pm emc time when there are so many people on that an advert won't be in the whole of the chat history after 2-3 minutes. 4 players cycling adverts cross servers seems unlikely but even if it is on the same server, 30 minutes time seems more than enough time. 3 hours is just silly.
  14. By definition, all adverts are unsolicited. If someone asks for an item or service and someone replies, that isn't really spam advertising. I realize that some people, including some prominent EMC members, are making a lot of noise about this issue. This thread is getting a lot of positive attention (from a handful of people who both read it and care about it). But this small change is going to have big consequences when word of it starts filtering down to the vast majority of players who rarely(if ever) visit the forum.

Why do I care? I very rarely advertise directly. This rule touches a huge number of players, however. It doesn't specify cross-server advertising, or auctions. As written, it bans shop owners from most of the advertising they are currently doing. Even newer players who are just trying to get word out of their items for sale. Are you really going to ban someone from logging in, advertising their shop on their home server, then doing so again in 90-120 mins, after hundreds or thousands of lines of chat have passed, and a whole new player crowd is on? I realize there are a (very few) players server-hopping twice an hour to spam their auction link, but you don't have to go this far to stop that behavior.

If the hope is that this will somehow alleviate the reporting spam. . . When word of the rule change gets around, how long do you think it will take people to start using it to report every week-old player advertising their shop on their home smp every once in a while, or those kids who type "everyone come to my shop plz" in townchat? This isn't going to reduce reporting spam, it's going to make it worse.

CUTSCENE:

Krysyy: *clings to post* "No. Thats not true. That's impossible!"

Builds: *best James Earl Jones voice* "Search your feelings. You know it to be true!"

/CUTSCENE

In all seriousness, though, I'm all for doing things that make it easier for the mods to sift through the clutter and handle the real problems. Reducing the reporting spam is a culture thing, however, and it's only going to change with a concentrated effort by both the mods and EMC veterans to discourage it.

*Sorry Krysyy. I had that scene on my mind when I wrote this*
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  15. Another thing being that economy chat should be by definition the advertising chat. Why even have it at all if we cant use it? Maybe making the knowledge that you can turn economy chat off more readily available would help that problem. Then you can divert players who are advertising to economy chat(if the logic doesn't get it anyways) you say its "absolutely" necessary but that's obviously not the case. Spam is more often people doing advertising for skin comps, horse races or people begging or intentionally being a nuissance. Putting a blanket "unsolicited advertising" wont solve the problem it will just make that rule completely unenforceable and benign.
  16. Hey Krysyy/Staff, I just saw this a moment ago:

"does anyone want to help me build my lot"

What is the minimum time before that players asks again for it not to be considered spam? Does that fall under the 10-minute rule?
  17. the eagle has landed penguin. what ten minute rule?
    • Non-economy related messages that are exact (or very similar) should only be posted once every 10 minutes at an absolute MAXIMUM. This means things like asking for people to come to your res for events, etc.
  18. asking people to come to your res for events is a... dare I say it?... the eagle has landed.... ermm, unsolicited advertisement.
  19. Well, I have to agree that I'd value the "advertisements need to go to E chat" higher than the 3 hour rule. Still, the thing which puzzles me a little; it's one thing to have rules, enforcing them can be a different subject all together. And I think I'm not going deeper into that, but you do the math :p

I'm not advertising myself so this doesn't bother me at all, but even so... Guys, why not give the new system a fair try for, say, 2 weeks 3 - 4 weeks before commenting on how things are unfair? You don't know until you tried.
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.