smp7 - jungle outpost

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by zulu9, Mar 13, 2012.

1. It was just a Phoenix Wright ref.
    Jakres and L0tad like this.
  2. HOLD IT
    Jakres likes this.
  3. See, this is why I'm wondering what city he lives in. I assume he is in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, etc. One of the first things you study in sociology and similar studies is the comfort level people have with crowding. I have a feeling that a lot of our differences with Lotad come from the fact that his natural comfort level for crowding is set much higher than most of the rest of the folks on LLO. This goes for his expectations as to how tightly buildings should be packed. We keep asking him to move out of the relatively densely packed (from our perspective) central area, but to him there is so much unused space there! Why is there all that wasted space?!?

Personally, I would like to see a core downtown area down there at some point which would mean that many of the current buildings and sight lines would need to "evolve". I'm not arguing for Lotad's plan, just saying it would be a natural evolution for that area, and it's one that all cities go through, right down to the people trying to block the projects, and complaining about the same kinds of things.

We may need to formalize (de-anarchize) this kind of thing for the core area at some point. Should LLO survive for any length of time, we will probably need a set of rules for land reuse and redevelopment. I don't know how something like "eminent domain" would work in EMC, though if we had a formal charter for membership, EMC would likely sanction it so long as it is fair to all involved, and its terms are spelled out to anyone interested. Finally, I realize that some LLO members aren't going to want to abandon the current "wild west" system.
    zulu9, Jakres, watk4219 and 3 others like this.
  4. When he put dirt in place of sand in the desert and on his roofs he said it reminded him of Calcutta.
    zulu9, Jakres, L0tad and 1 other person like this.
  5. Calcutta, West bangall (or however u spell it in English) (altho i am in America right now)

That explains alot, and he is right about the wasted space, to me, It is a wide open field. It is normal to be "crowded" to me. best example. (note, i am not insulting religion here) I could hear the people on the loud speaker at the local mosque from the church i went to.

And i have studied the street layouts, and building styles of Delhi, Dubai, Tokyo, London, New york, L.A., Paris. I am designing my project after what i found out to work, And btribble is right about natural evolution citys, right down to the angry mob.

That also explains the dirt alleyways, it is what i am used to seeing.

It is like a voice on my head "This is meant to be a city, why is there SO much unused space.
    zulu9, Jakres and Bu11dawg like this.
  6. thanks pandas
    |
    |
    |
    v
    Jakres and NINJATTILA like this.
  7. Fixed.
  8. Now I understand this L0tad thing. I should know I have lived all over the place from South America To Australia, the landscapes are different. I would think we would be happy with a greater variety at LLO in buildings.
  9. I have a thing with wide open spaces with lots of greenery but that is what you get in Australia. How about a community meeting at the usual party time? In town hall? I can post the times again if needed.
    zulu9, Jakres, Philovanrood and 4 others like this.
  10. Time paradoxes :O
    Jakres, penfoldex and PandasEatRamen like this.
  11. I have some other matter to discus with you guys, we need zulu to be there tho.
    Jakres and mba2012 like this.
  12. Yes, please post the times again. GMT is the best since then no one has to ask about "daylight savings time", etc.
    Jakres, Bu11dawg and L0tad like this.
  13. Ok. The time is 9:30pm Saturday GMT. It will be in the town hall next to grand central.
    Jakres and Bu11dawg like this.
  14. we have this similar issue in the wild town we have, this 1 person keeps trying to build a whole lot of buildings right next to each other, and most of us are like "dude, too crowded here, lots of open space over there" lol. we like having room to expand/upgrade currently buildings. and thats hard to do with every new building practicality being right on top of each other. i feel ur pain guys lol.
    Jakres, PandasEatRamen and Dwight5273 like this.
  15. holy mother of cow!!! i think i just found the jungle outpost on the map, it's freakin huge!!! i'm coming for a visit
    zulu9, Jakres, shavingfoam and 3 others like this.
  16. I find it quite hilarious whenever I mention the LLO and no one knows what I'm talking about. xD
    Jakres, mba2012 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. Everyone lives in town. Also I am going to hold a community meeting at 9:30pm Saturday October 27 at the Town Hall. It would be good if as many people as possible can come. I understand some people may not be able to make it as it is a late alert but if you could try that would be great!
    Jakres likes this.
  18. Ok. If anyone wants to talk at the community meeting juts post here.
    Jakres likes this.
  19. btribble, you are brilliant. I didn't even consider that, but now looking back, I guess this explains why I like the whole 'wide open spaces and forests of trees' so much; I'm from Wisconsin. hehehehe
    Don't ask where the skyscraper thing comes from. I've only been to Chicago twice, and tend to hate big cities. ;D
    zulu9, Jakres and mba2012 like this.